Help a poor SRV fan

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Ser_Bob, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Ser_Bob

Ser_Bob TDPRI Member

If you ask me who is my favourite guitar player right now I think my answer is Stevie Ray Vaughan. Not because he was the best player (though he is one of) but because I really relate to his playing style and music.

Despite that when I bought my first guitar a couple of months ago I choose a Telecaster. Don't know why but I just loved the looks.

Since then the Strat has been in the shadows, always reminding me that any "real" SRV fan should have at least one Strat. :p

Well since the Tele needs a new friend I guess it's time to buy one. The problem? I am unemployed right now so I am in a tight budget.

Even if I buy used I can't afford a Fender MIM or even a Classic Vibe. I live in Europe so prices here are really high compared to the US. Even in the used market where hype makes them expensive.

Until now I have come up with 2 options:
    - Yamaha Pacifica 112V for 150$
    - Squier Vintage Modified Stratocaster for 200$

Both are used but in mint condition. Completely stock.

The big question is: which one should I choose? Has anyone played one or both that can share some feedback?
    Or is there any other model that I am forgetting?

Any help would be appreciated :D

Doug 54 likes this.
  2. cboutilier

cboutilier Tele-Afflicted

I absolutely love my Squire Vintage Mod! It's one of my favorite strats I've ever played. The neck is wonderful, and the pups are surprisingly good.

3. tealsixtysix

tealsixtysix Tele-Meister

Honestly, if I were in your situation, I'd practice my SRV licks on the Tele until my finances improved. A Tele is a thoroughly credible blues guitar.

4. texastengu

texastengu Tele-Holic

^^^^What he said ^^^^

Fiesta Red likes this.
  5. cboutilier

cboutilier Tele-Afflicted

That's true. I often play SRV blues on my Tele, because our other guitarist plays a Strat.

But if the OP really wants a Strat, the VM is a great option. And who are we to tell a forum- mate to make financially responsible choices! I paid 200 Canadian for my VM and it keeps me from GAS'ing for any other strats.

texastengu likes this.
  6. texastengu

texastengu Tele-Holic

Back in the late sixties and early seventies most of us saw Fleetwood Mac as the keepers of the blues faith and we saw them live countless times and covered many of there songs besides the older original American blues tunes. Close friend Jeff Ross always played a Tele and would smoke most players hands down as would other So Cal pickers like John Jorgenson or Rick Vito! You don't need a Strat or a Les Paul to rock!

JustABluesGuy and troy2003 like this.
  7. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

You could also save your funds and eventually get a Nashville Tele. Or simply install a middle pickup in your current Tele and turn it into a Nashville like I did with this '95 Tele then you'll have some Strat like tones and Tele tones. It'll cost you less than you plan to spend on a Strat.

Besides, every Strat ever made secretly wishes it had been born a Tele. ;)

2014-03-11 17.16.37.jpg

8. JimmyGuitarist

JimmyGuitarist TDPRI Member

1:41

Fiesta Red, cnlbb, richiek65 and 9 others like this.
  9. troy2003

troy2003 Friend of Leo's

Have you ever played a Strat? I did,i hate them..well, not hate, but cant stand them. The middle pickup is in the way for my playing style..the knobs are in the way etc..you might try before you buy..personally, I would just plug away on the Tele.

10. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

Learn the licks and the SRV style, then stick on some heavy strings and .... If if you have to, stick a Strat style pup (twisted Tele) in the neck!

Much better than buying a copy Strat needing mods and work to chase a sound coming from fingers, strings, pup and amp!

11. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

SRV rarely played in positions 2 or 4 on his Strat. That being the case, a Tele will serve you just fine.

Scott

12. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

THe problem is when your learning, getting the sound and feel of the artist you like is a big part of the process. Having the right/same style guitar and being in the same switch position etc means you know that part is covered and you just have to focus on you to make the difference. So I really do understand the OP's perspective....

Once you can play the guitar it is a lot easier to play SRV (or whoevers) licks on any guitar....but mentally when your a newbie, having the right guitar is a big mental piece in place.

- The quote above is right though, a LOT of SRV is played in the neck position and the tele has a GREAT neck position sound that will do SRV very well.

- conversely I think the Vintage Modified Strats are great as well, so your good to go no matter what! :)

JustABluesGuy and tealsixtysix like this.
  13. Thin69

Thin69 Friend of Leo's

If I were in your shoes I would just use you Tele to play SRV until you have an income and can afford a decent Strat. The Tele won't sound like a Strat but it can sure get you close enough for now.

Lead2Fan likes this.
  14. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Why don't you hold off until you have more control of the instrument and sound production? It sets a bad personal precedent, I believe, to start off by changing equipment in order to develop your musicianship. One of the most important tools of a musician is knowing how to evaluate something. Once you can get around on your current guitar, you'll be in a much better position to pinpoint the loci of your desires.

15. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

You can get some Strat tones out of a Tele and SRV started on a Tele, but if you want a Strat go get one like SRV did. Variety is the spice of life. Squier Custom Vibe is the one I'd get.

16. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Holic

Trade the Tele for a Strat

john kleeman likes this.
  17. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

:lol::twisted:

BBill64 and Ex-riverman like this.
  18. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Either trade it for a strat or just keep on that tele-it'll do SRV well enough for sure...the real question is what amp do you have :)

Ex-riverman and thunderbyrd like this.
  19. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

as always, Larry gives great advice.

i have been chasing Stevie Ray for years and i can tell you that a tele will do it just fine. it's such a cliche, but it's true anyway: it's in your hands. it might would be hard to get "close to" stevie with a les paul or something, but a tele is well in the same neighborhood.

do this: keep playing your tele and build your money up until you've got enough for a higher end strat. that might take, what couple of years? BUT! here's the thing: you keep playing that tele and start getting something going on, and a stratocaster will probably seem just not right, weak. so before you plunk down your $1500 or whatever on the strat, just becase SRV played one, sit down with it for a long time and be very sure you need it. but most likely, by this time, you will be a telecaster guy. 1500 will buy a killer world class telecaster.

i know that's convoluted as heck, sorry, but don't think that the Stevie Ray thing is all about equipment. it's about your heart and your hands, not strictly playing a strat.

Stellacaster and JustABluesGuy like this.
  20. swany

swany Tele-Meister

I always thought that the sound Stevie Ray Vaughan got when he sat in with the Fabulous Thunderbirds, playing "the Crawl" was a great Strat tone, ON A TELECASTER! see video posted above.
    The way he falls into the groove of that song is amazing.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.