1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Help a noobie out!

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Bush Wiebe, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Bush Wiebe

Bush Wiebe Tele-Meister

I just had the pickups removed from my custom tele and the guy that did it did not leave any length of wire attached to the pickup. He removed the wire right where they attach to the pickup. I've never seen it done that way before, they usually remove the wire from the pots. Is that a problem at all or does it not matter?

2. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nah, it's okay. When the old pickups are reused new wires can be soldered to the eyelets on the pickups.

Sometimes it's done the way your tech did it just to avoid dealing with the wrapped and soldered joints at the switch (or pots, as the case may be). It's often also done in older, valuable instruments because those new, shiny solder joints at the switch stand out like a sore thumb, and some guys think it's less objectionable and less noticeable to have the new solder at the pickup.

3. Bush Wiebe

Bush Wiebe Tele-Meister

Thank you.

I'm getting the pickups rewound and have to send them away to get it done. I was worried we had wrecked them! They are carved from bubinga and are special to me so I'm glad to know they're gonna be ok! Cheers mate!

4. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Ah, in that case no worries at all. When you get them back the rewinder may have installed new wires for you, if that's the case your tech will just remove the new ones and reinstall the pickups just as he found them.

5. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I would never do it that way.
    Not saying its a problem, just that I wouldn't do it and I'd be pretty mad at any tech that did.

I'd much rather mess up a pot or switch when re-soldering than take a chance on ruining a pickup.

6. Bush Wiebe

Bush Wiebe Tele-Meister

I see what you mean. This guy isn't my regular tech so maybe I made a mistake in going to him. But, lesson learned, and hopefully it'll turn out ok:neutral:. Live and learn!

7. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

All s well that ends well, but I'm w telex.Bad idea, the wires could break easily if there s a slip or they could melt while new leads are attached.

8. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan Friend of Leo's

Yeah. 42 gauge wire vs... 18? Something around there? You absolutely don't want to have to fix a slip up with the coil wire.

9. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Yeah, but if the pickup is being taken out to be rewound, it doesn't matter if the wire gets damaged. Still, I'd never take out a pickup like that.

10. Bush Wiebe

Bush Wiebe Tele-Meister

You guys got me freaking out a little:eek::lol:!

These are special bubinga pickups and I don't want them ruined in any way. Well, what's done is done, and when they come back, I'll bring them to my regular tech who knows what he is doing. Lord have mercy on my pickups...:(

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.