Help a newb decide on a amp for country

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by fiddlerIsaac, Apr 18, 2013.

1. fiddlerIsaac

fiddlerIsaac TDPRI Member

I've been researching amps and guitars for many years, but I've never actually had the money to spring for a good setup. Now the time's come and I'm second guessing my original thoughts for purchase. I need something that will do cleans really well for some good country twang, but still warm up easily for the neck pickup and a little blues/country blues or just a soft rock type of vibe. I have $500-600 to spend and I don't mind going used.

I'm pretty sure I want a fender, but I'm open to other opinions. The amps that have caught my eye are the..

Hot Rod Deluxe (looks like the perfect amp to me but I don't hear much about it on this website? I just hear about the blues junior)

Blues Deluxe (similar to the hot rod but I think it's a little warmer sounding plus I like the tweed:D)

Peavey classic 30 (heard a lot about this one and it's recently caught my eye, I'll have to see if I can find one to play on)

Please help fellas! I need to know why these amps (mainly the first two) are not discussed as much as others.. am I missing out on another great amp?

2. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

VoxAC30

3. sacrificetravis

sacrificetravis Tele-Meister

Peavey classic 50 or a silverface twin

4. telemaster7082

telemaster7082 Tele-Afflicted

Ive had 2 HRD and i now have a classic 50. In my opinion the peavey blows the fender out of the water. Better drive channel and brighter cleans. The reverb isnt as good, but it works well. The price, especially used, is much better than the fenders and will leave you some money left over. The only thing I dont like about mine is the tube rattle. People say combos are notorious for this, but this is the first time ive ever experienced it.

5. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

Are you playing out? Full band setting?

Those are all good amps for country, blues, classic rock. If you spend time with any of the amps you mentioned, I believe you will be able to dial in something you like. Given that, and your proclivity for used items, I'd just be patient, and pick up something on Craig's List. If you don't like it, you can turn around and sell it. In the meantime you get to use it at your leisure, in settings where you are comfortable. Worst case you sell it at a small loss in order to move it fast (like if there's another amp on CL you NEED to buy ;) )

FWIW, I do country through a Pro Jr. I've used a Peavey Bandit, a Kustom K200B with 2x15" cab, a Peavey Classic 30, and a 5E3(ish) clone. Those are all very different amps but the net result in a band setting just isn't that variable--I tend to use the Pro Jr. most often. When there's another guitar, a drum kit and a bass thumping away, I just don't think it matters a whole lot. I like the fact that there's 2 knobs on my Pro Jr., it cuts through like a knife, and is easily to cart around. I can easily and confidently dial it in at rehearsal or gig, and it's fine for bedroom practice too.

I've been playing since 2009, and have about a dozen gigs under my belt. The amp is just a small part of a large equation. The most significant variables in that equation are my lack of chops, experience, and theory. The effect of the amp in that equation is of less significance to me, than to someone who is a seasoned vet, for sure.

I guess my main point is, don't get too caught up in chasing tone. It's an infinite loop. Be a gear agnostic, and there will always be something cheap and fun to try on Craig's List. One day you'll turn around and realize you play one of your amps more often than others. That may change from time to time, but I think that's the fun part. There's no endpoint to worry about.

6. willpayne

willpayne TDPRI Member

You don't want a hot rod deluxe. I had one. Its good at sterile cleans and nothing else. I would go with a used Vox or a used deluxe reverb reissue. I had the vox night train. The head/cab combo will cost you under $600 used (possibly even new),and is loud and versatile enough for you. Don't get an amp with an overdrive channel, you'll regret it later. Get a pedal for controlled OD.

7. fiddlerIsaac

Thanks I appreciate all the fast replies! I'm really digging the way the Peavey's sound and they can be had for cheap used. This may be an obvious answer, but does the amount of speakers make a noticeable difference in sound or volume? I see you can get the Classic 50 in 2x12 or 4x10. What's the main difference?

I'm also checking out the ac15 again. I checked it out in the past, but I always thought it was just a little to bright but I'm gonna give it some more thought.

8. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

A good friend had a Classic 50 410, and I replaced the reverb tank with a Accutronics 3 spring (9 series) tank which helped the reverb a lot.

9. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Of the ones you mentioned, the Peavey classic 30 is the only one I'd have.
    The HRD and Blues Deluxe do nothing for me. The happiest day of my life was when I traded a HRD for a DRRI.
    A used DRRI should be in your budget.

10. fiddlerIsaac

Wow! After listening to the DRRI on youtube, I definitely have another amp to check out! I can't find any for less than $750 though. That's too much out of my range. If anyone has one they'd let go for $600 or less you'd have a buyer.

11. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

having played the Classic 30, HR deluxe, and owning a DRRI, I'd say you're best off saving the extra dough / keeping an eye out for the DRRI. However, I also like the Classic 30. IMO only.

12. sacrificetravis

sacrificetravis Tele-Meister

It's all taste. 2x12 is more punchier but to me I prefer the sound of 4x10s... just seems more open to me.

13. fiddlerIsaac

Do you have any idea if they still sell for $600? It seems like a couple years ago they weren't that hard to find (from what I read) but they all seem more expensive now. Not having the money isn't the problem, being a college student that NEEDS to save and spend wisely is though.

14. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don't know, since I bought mine new and have never really shopped for an amp since :p

Get yourself down to the amp store and try all these amps out. All 5 should be on the showroom floor.

Be wary buying a used amp from Guitar Center (not that you'd find one for $600 there)... they have issues, and get returned and shipped around the "Guitar Center used network "

Here is the word I got from Fender Customer Relations

15. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

I just finished a search for a country amp. I ended up picking us a used Bassman RI LTD. A bit more amp than I needed, but it was used on Craigslist for $625, mint condition, (Originally was asking $800) It has a lot of clean headroom, takes pedals really well (I used mine for country with a Whirlwind Red Box compressor, Holy Grail reverb and a Carbon Copy delay for the clean country stuff, and a vintage RAT pedal or Pork Loin for distorted and OD stuff) The other nice thing about the amp is it does sound great even at really low volumes, so although I wouldn't say it's appropriate for a bedroom amp obviously (I have THR10 for that) it's very versatile despite it's reputation for being very loud.

My '52 Tele through those pedals into the Bassman really is pure, old-school country bliss. Nails that Don Rich tone for sure! I know there are those out there who aren't fans of the Bassman RI's, and although they aren't point to point wiring, and it's a different circuit, blah blah, it still is an amazing sounding amp, especially for what these can be picked up for in the used market.

Craigslist seems to always have a few of these for sale in my area, so it works in the buyers favor when trying to get a good deal on one.

16. glyn bob

glyn bob Tele-Meister

Keep it nice an simple.Fender pro jr.+ compressor pedal + delay or reverb and you ve got prime fender country twang.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.