"Hellyeah!" or "Kill the abominations!"

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by starjag, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Kalaab

Kalaab Tele-Meister

+1
    I thought the same thing about the Gadow, very much like the globoulous EVH guitars, which kind of remind me of a polished turd. You can put a flamed maple top and a Floyd Rose on anything, but that still might not make it good.

My apologies to EVH lovers out ther :D

Perhaps I just haven't gotten out enough, but in my 15 years of playing, that's the first time I've seen a Strat jack cup on the back of a guitar. Can't say I'm too impressed, and quite to the contrary, it looks counter-intuitive for the old "loop the cord through your strap" trick to keep you from jerking it out on stage.

2. Prison Rodeo

Prison Rodeo Tele-Meister

I like all of them. Wish more big companies would think a bit more like this (outside the box, but not put-your-eye-out pointy-shredder IbanKramerVel outside).

But, then again, I love my Nitefly, too. So I'm probably weird...

3. Kalaab

Kalaab Tele-Meister

I don't think you're weird, Prison. I think the Nitefly was a monumental step forward in guitar design for those of us who wanted something new and "modern", but didn't want beveled edges you could shave with. I love the Fly series from Parker, and I think they're a great looking guitar.

My gripe with these in terms of innovation (the latter of the two anyway) is that they took a step forward, but just a tiny one. Anyone who looked at that guitar would identify it with a Telecaster, and while that's very comfortable for those who like Teles, in terms of innovation it really doesn't break much ground.

4. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

People like Potvin and Gadow are part of the reason we're no longer squatting on our haunches around a fire beating hollow logs with sticks.

5. Codinho

Codinho Tele-Meister

I love the Ranchero.

6. jjkrause84

jjkrause84 Poster Extraordinaire

Give the Ranchero an extra pickup and I'm all over it!

EDIT: Anyone know how much a Ranchero costs?

7. Kalaab

Kalaab Tele-Meister

I don't know that I'd go that far, but to their credit, they are trying something *a little bit* different. I still find their features leaning more towards what has already happened in the world of guitars.

8. argent

argent Tele-Meister

+!

9. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've seen that before.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

Unless i get an endorsement deal, guess i'll keep on playing mine!

11. BGTele

BGTele Tele-Afflicted

I always wonder how difficult it is to launch a new Tele copy model. It's gotta be
    near impossible. Most folks can't get their hands on one to try it and Fender has so
    many Tele models which probably cover all the sounds you could get from a Tele.
    I recently played a Standard that had Kinman Broadcasters in it and the Baja blew it away. Still. I'm curious about every copy that comes down the pike. Tele, best
    guitar in the universe.

12. argent

argent Tele-Meister

+!

13. newtwanger

newtwanger Blackguardian. Ad Free + Supporter

$1750US

14. mikep

mikep TDPRI Member

:lol: Man, I take heat for that jack on the back! There is absolutely no in-between- people either love it or hate it.

Mike

15. mke52

mke52 Tele-Meister

The guitars are nice but I love the guitar stand; anyone know what brand it is?

16. mikep

mikep TDPRI Member

Which one mke52? The Ranchero is on a Hercules and the El Camino is on an Apex. I can check the model numbers if you want.

Mike

17. dougk

dougk Tele-Holic

You know Mike would be happy to build a guitar with a normal jack placement too.

It seems odd at first but I think its surprisingly brilliant placement. Sure keeps the front clean too.

I do find it odd there there are countless, mix and match versions of tele's on this forum of all pickup, bridge and control configurations on this board and yet Mike's aren't well liked. To me the BEAUTY of a tele body is it makes for the perfect canvas to just about anything you want with. I've always respected TDPRI and tele owners in general for being open about what you can do with a tele... unlike most other model fanatics.

The guys at PG sure liked them: https://www.premierguitar.com/Magaz..._Ranchero_Electric_Guitar_Reviews.aspx?Page=1

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  18. bo

bo Poster Extraordinaire

But I like squatting on my haunches around a fire beating hollow logs with sticks. :cry:

19. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I like both the Potvins, particularly the Ranchero. The Gadow body shape, not so much. In fact, not at all. I have nothing against trying to be different, but why malform an iconic shape? Come up with your own shape, but don't just Silly Putty a Telecaster and call it "new". Besides, if I want a mis-shapen Tele, I already have a $100 Peavey Generation.

mikep, the strat jack on the back is ridiculous. And I would love to try it. I figure it would either work great for me or not at all. And if it worked, it would settle my dissatisfaction with jack placement on almost every guitar I've played. I'm currently re-making a Flying V copy, and I have been trying to decide whether to put the Strat-style jack I'll be using on the back or not.

20. 68thinline

68thinline Tele-Afflicted

I also like the Potvin guitar - I think it is tastefully done. The other one doesn't really stand out for me.

But these are only asthetic judgements, and I have no idea how they play or sound.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.