Hello

wraub

TDPRI Member
Welcome, love the natural body p bass
Thanks. :) That's my #1. It started as a MIJ SQ Squier P from '83, it's been stripped and refinished. It has a Hipshot Extender, a vintage style threaded saddle bridge, Red Rhodes' Velvet Hammer pickup, and some other stuff. Weighs under 9 lbs. It's pretty good. ;)

wraub

TDPRI Member
The Black Strat with the blue sparkle pickguard really got my attention. Welcome to TDPRI.

Thanks. :) That's a MIJ Strat copy that I think is from the 70s. It has a Fender Brass Works vibrato and reversible Grover tuners. But, it actually looks like this-
1656804816525.png

Sen body, chunky neck, could use new frets. Also, I like odd pickguard choices, apparently. :D

One of my current projects, though, is a black Strat body that will get either blue or purple pearloid 'guard, so, not too far off. :)

burntfrijoles

Poster Extraordinaire
It started as a MIJ SQ Squier P from '83, it's been stripped and refinished. It has a Hipshot Extender, a vintage style threaded saddle bridge, Red Rhodes' Velvet Hammer pickup, and some other stuff.

I have a Player P Bass and I'm thinking about stripping it, changing the bridge and pickups. I don't mind doing the stripping but I will need help with the changing the pickup as I am terrible at soldering. I don't mind doing the rest like changing the bridge, doing the setup etc.

wraub

TDPRI Member
I have a Player P Bass and I'm thinking about stripping it, changing the bridge and pickups. I don't mind doing the stripping but I will need help with the changing the pickup as I am terrible at soldering. I don't mind doing the rest like changing the bridge, doing the setup etc.

If you just want to repaint, you shouldn't need to strip it- you can scuff sand the existing finish and spray over that. If your bass is currently painted and you want natural, bear in mind that some painted guitars are painted because the wood might not look so great. You might find things you don't like so much under there.

For soldering, I find patience and a good soldering station, along with good soldering practices, are very helpful. Lots of good info on YT, if you need practice find an old radio or similar electronic device (or even a beater guitar) and practice unsoldering and soldering some connections. It's pretty cheap and it's good practice too. For my most recent pickup swaps, I've been using a basic Weller station, but a Hakko keeps calling my name.

arlum

Friend of Leo's
Platinum Supporter
Very cool. What is that body wood, (Sen body)? Fender always makes me think Alder or Ash but that body looks very much like Wenge. I'd love to see a picture when you finish your new build. I've always loved black guitars. I've even considered building a solid gloss black guitar with a black ebony fret board, all black hardware and black pickups. Just a black pearl pick guard, abalone dotes at the 7th 12th and 17th position and a abalone name on the head stock to stand out over the base color.

burntfrijoles

Poster Extraordinaire
bear in mind that some painted guitars are painted because the wood might not look so great. You might find things you don't like so much.
That caveat is the only reason I haven't done it.
For soldering, I find patience and a good soldering station, along with good soldering practices, are very helpful.
Oh no, I'm not planning on doing the soldering. "A man's got to know his limitations". I have a good friend who is excellent and he will perform the operation.

wraub

TDPRI Member
Very cool. What is that body wood, (Sen body)? Fender always makes me think Alder or Ash but that body looks very much like Wenge. I'd love to see a picture when you finish your new build. I've always loved black guitars. I've even considered building a solid gloss black guitar with a black ebony fret board, all black hardware and black pickups. Just a black pearl pick guard, abalone dotes at the 7th 12th and 17th position and a abalone name on the head stock to stand out over the base color.

Yes, Sen body. I think it may be a Greco body and neck but all else has been changed so I'm not sure anymore. All the parts are 70s parts, except for pickups and pickguard which are more recent. It's both the warmest and the most chimey Strat I have.

The black Strat body I have will likely get a Tele neck with a RW board,I have, I've already modded the neck pocket to fit. Next step is a good six screw bridge, then the fun really begins. Will definitely post re as it develops.