Hello, NGD (?) 1971 telecaster Bigsby: tell me please...

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by asquinet, Sep 21, 2019.

1. asquinet

asquinet TDPRI Member

Hi everybody. I am buying this 1971(?) Tele. Was white one day in the past.
    Pots are 1966; neck have stamp OCT 71 (hard to read); plate is 32... supposed 1971. On the pickups there is not any stamp. Ohm's value are: 6,80k neck pu and 6,32 bridge. The fretboard I can't understand if could be refined in some way (maybe for the years of guitar appears too much new...). Please let me know everything you think about!!!
    Thanks.
    Pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. asquinet

asquinet TDPRI Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    d barham, hemmings, CWP0126 and 2 others like this.
  3. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

Looks good! Have you had a chance to play it? Are the parts (e.g. pickups) original? Depending on the price and playability, I'd go for it.

asquinet likes this.
  4. asquinet

asquinet TDPRI Member

Thank you! Sound is good!
    Price less good (around 5000 euros...)
    Parts seems to be original...I hope with this thread it will confirm!!!!
    More pics coming! Thank you again for your help and for who participate!!!

5. asquinet

asquinet TDPRI Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Adam Wolfaardt

Adam Wolfaardt Tele-Meister

It's been drilled out for new machine heads (badly), has holes around the jack and a piece filed out of the pickguard. Theres no pic of the back of the head but there are probably 6 holes from the modern machine heads. Seems like 5k is a lot for a 71 with issues

asquinet likes this.
  7. asquinet

asquinet TDPRI Member

Thanks Adam. Me too I had mind about a machine heads substitution...first thing I checked out, there are no extra holes at the back of the head....I dismounted the machine heads and I haven't found any added hole....yes, the pickguard eated by mice it is not pretty.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Regarding the fingerboard what do you think? Was strongly rectified? Thank you very much!!!!

8. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

The neck is finished in poly, the headstock face is nitro that accounts for the difference in aging.

asquinet likes this.
  9. asquinet

asquinet TDPRI Member

And this is normal, is it it? My doubt is the surface of fingerboard, appears too much shine....I have seen many other 50 years old tele with fingerboard many damaged!!!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  10. knavel

knavel Tele-Meister

Nella mia esperienza poli non mai invecchia, oppure almeno non invecchia bene come nitro. Fender ha cambiato da nitro in favore di poli cerca 1967 credo. Nitro hanno tenuto sul headstock perche' poli non puo' tenere bene l'adesivo.

One thing that I would mention is that true factory bodies originally set up for Bigsbys did not have string through body. The body on the one you've posted does not have this and that is a good sign (if it is a Fender body). If you show a picture of the back of the Bigsby close up I can tell you whether it's a vintage one or not.

This Telecaster strikes me as one that someone has gone through pains to restore to original. I don't know everything about correct pickups, wire colors etc. Someone else has to help there.

2 Headed Goat and asquinet like this.
  11. asquinet

asquinet TDPRI Member

Infact the "F" on the Bigsby (instead of "B" or "Bigsby") sounds like original from factory. There is no doubt -I think- about originality of body (and its finishing), even for the circumstance of lack of ferrule's holes on the rear body.
    Soon I will dismount the Bigsby and I'll take close picturs of rear (do you intend "back of the Bigsby" the face leaning against the body, is it it?)

Thank you for your help and waiting help of someone else about other features (even if final decision slowly coming....)

12. knavel

knavel Tele-Meister

Vintage Bigsbys have the pins screwed in from the back side. If the pins are just pushed into the Bigsby and the opposite side of where the pins stick out is smooth, then the Bigsby is not vintage (or at least the bar isn't vintage).

My (Selmer) Bigsby B3 in the photo is not an Fender F Bigsby (B5) but you can see what I'm talking about--the six holes on the bar on the back side of the pins. Modern Bigsbys (since the mid 1970s) do not have these six holes.

IMG_1073.JPG I have a vintage Fender F Bigsby somewhere lying around and it has the six holes for the pins (tangs) to be screwed in from the backside. Sorry I don't have a photo of it.

Non devi spostare il Bigsby dalla chitarra per determinare se sia vintage. E' ovvio da guardare dal fondo come nella mia foto.

asquinet likes this.
  13. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

Looking at the overall condition is doesn't seem that extraordinary. But I'm not saying it couldn't have been buffed out at some point. The thick polyester finishes Fender used at the time don't wear anything like nitro finishes you won't get wear marks like a 50's tele or strat.
    Search reverb and you will get any idea of how they age.

Look at these for example
    https://shop.guitarpoint.de/en/Fender/1971-Fender-Telecaster-Blond-/-Bigsby#lg=1&slide=15

https://www.creamcitymusic.com/vint...ecaster-electric-guitar-olympic-white-finish/

Someone had a Gibson style jack plate on the guitar for awhile and the tuners were changed beyond that nothing jumps out as suspect other than the price seems high.

asquinet likes this.
  14. asquinet

asquinet TDPRI Member

Ah ok, I understood!!!! Here you have two pics. It is a little bit different from yours, mine you can see the hole, yours has some what head of screw...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you again!!!

15. asquinet

asquinet TDPRI Member

You are right. The polyester does more protection on maple neck than what happens on older guitars....

I already seen these two ads, surfing on many many sites to make comparison. I also have noted that the one sold at guitarpoint.de probably not coming from factory with bigsby, but added later, since the presence of holes on rear body.

The circular depressions on the nitro concentric on machine heads confirming that some time ago somebody had mount larger machine heads, although there are NOT additional screws holes.
    Even the Gibson style jack plate...

16. asquinet

asquinet TDPRI Member

Ok friends, thanks to your help and after hours of thinking about tomorrow I will go to the dealer and I will propose two solutions:
    A) a discount of 1500€, explaining all points examinated here;
    B) tele back to him, money back to me.

I realized that 5000 euros for a 1971 Tele, even if it was perfect, are a bit too many.

Thank you all for your kind help!! This forum is TOP!!!!

17. buddyboy

buddyboy Tele-Meister

I have a 1966 Tele that has all the correct body markings (dowels, flush mounted ferrules, etc.) It also came from the factory with a Fender Bigsby and mustang-style bridge. As such, I don't believe you and confidently make a statement claiming the only proper Bigsby equipped Tele did were not also drilled for string-through.

Here's a pic where I installed a standard Tele bridge on it. But, believe me, the large holes with the bridge inserts for the Mustang bridge lurks underneath this bridge.

FullSizeRender-11.jpg FullSizeRender-11.jpg FullSizeRender-2.jpg FullSizeRender-2.jpg

18. asquinet

asquinet TDPRI Member

Thanks for your contribution. I believed (only an opinion, not a certainty) that could be a little bit useless for Fender build a Tele body with holes on rear and then mount a Bigsby in factory....I would inclined to mind an after modification (maybe by same Fender, but on completed sample, coming back in factory upon request). But I do not have sufficient knowledge to affirm this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.