1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Hello! May I have your help with amp pricing?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by MitchJ89, Apr 7, 2019.

1. MitchJ89

MitchJ89 Tele-Meister

1963 Fender Blackface Deluxe Amp

It’s that time again. I’m selling off some of my vintage equipment and I’d very much appreciate some expertise.

First, please know that this is not an advertisement for my listing- at least not directly. I’m looking for insight and guidance.

It’s a rare amp, indeed, with not many examples from this year. I’ve seen a couple newer deluxes on Reverb with sellers asking for MUCH more. What are your thoughts?

https://reverb.com/item/21731685-1963-fender-blackface-deluxe-amp-pre-cbs-no-reverb

2. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

Its hard to gage a vintage amp that clean. You've included pictures of the guts, removing risk and guesswork to the buyer. I would have steel wooled the screws throughout, (make em sparkle ;) )
    But these 3 things make it hard:

Pre CBS

Clean

Good insides

I can't say if it's too high or spot on. Do you have original speaker for sentimental buyers?

It's too clean for me to ever own, I'd feel like a curator, not a musician, for any bf older than 66 in good shape.

Regardless, very nice amp.

MitchJ89 likes this.
  3. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Afflicted

No Fender Logo on that year?
    Or is it missing?

4. MitchJ89

MitchJ89 Tele-Meister

No logo on that year.

nojazzhere, dan1952 and galaxiex like this.
  5. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Afflicted

Thanks, I did not know that.

6. MitchJ89

MitchJ89 Tele-Meister

I do not have the original speaker I’m afraid. I could probably command top dollar if I did.

Thank you for taking a look! I’m hoping that someone will want something this clean. It really is something else.

7. MitchJ89

MitchJ89 Tele-Meister

No problem! Sans logo is pretty handsome imho. I like the cleaner look.

8. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

I had a nice '65 that I had to sell a few years ago & I had a very hard time with it -- had to go through a dealer & lower the price below what I started out thinking was fair. I believe it ended up in Japan. The non-reverb versions just don't have the appeal of the Deluxe Reverb. Hopefully that market has firmed up in the last few years.

MitchJ89 likes this.
  9. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

The non-reverb models have their own sound, a little less gain, maybe a little cleaner. I had one for a couple of years, should have kept it.

nojazzhere, Greggorios and MitchJ89 like this.
  10. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

Vintage amps are worth whatever somebody is willing to pay. That said, I think this listing is pretty high, no offense. This amp IS pretty clean...except for holes drilled in the back plate. The speaker is non original, and I would consider this price collector grade top dollar for a non verb deluxe. I know you said you’ve seen them listed for more on Reverb, but I doubt they sold for anywhere close to this price. I’ve seen comparable ones at GC for around $1600 recently, and GC isn’t exactly cut rate with their vintage gear. The ones I saw weren’t as early as yours, but I don’t think there would be $2000 difference between FEIC and FMIC models.

Just my opinion....beautiful amp though. Best of luck in your sale.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    thegeezer likes this.
  11. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted

Deluxe - Copy.png

What? Your's doesn't have a Price knob? You just dial it down before you close the deal.

12. MitchJ89

MitchJ89 Tele-Meister

No offense taken! I appreciate your honest thoughts. There’s currently a 1963 in rough shape thats going for over 4500 on Reverb. I think there may be a Brownface 63 on there for around 3000. But that’s it.
    I don’t have many reference points.
    Reverb suggests 2000 but that’s for newer examples.

I’m not in a rush at all so I’ll sit in it and see how it plays out. Thanks man!

dannyh likes this.
  13. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Afflicted

I agree, things are worth what a buyer will pay and I hope you score.

I’ve been on the lookout for a non-verb BF Deluxe to complement my avatar amp in certain situations and had seen your listing.

The fact that it’s a really early blackface is a big plus but the replacement speaker and JJ tubes devalue it. How much? I don’t know. I do know a good set of NOS tubes is getting pricey anymore. And I’d want a period and model correct Jensen or Oxford. I’d be spending money on those things ASAP.

So having said that and in answer to your question, it is a unique player grade amp in really good condition. And no sour grapes here, of course, but that’s why I didn’t respond to the listing. It belongs with someone who wants to pay for its cosmetic condition and either doesn’t care about the speaker and tubes or is willing to spend a few hundred bucks to get the original tone back at that price.

MitchJ89 likes this.
  14. MitchJ89

MitchJ89 Tele-Meister

Witty! Just looking for clear, objective feedback. Thanks

15. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

I actually prefer the non-verb amps having owned a non-verb Princeton for years, but I seem to be in the minority on that subject. BF Deluxes are very difficult to price because of the current Fender reissues. On the one hand, the reissues have placed a spotlight on that particular model so interest goes up, but there is also a lot of love being shown for the reissues so that also drives interest down for the vintage units. I am afraid that the success of the reissues have damaged the value of your vintage amp. Prior to the reissues, if you wanted a Deluxe you had to buy vintage or a clone (nearly the same price) but now people have a far cheaper option.

I find the reissues much brighter than vintage amps and not nearly as pleasing to my ears, but unless you have played both, you would never really know it and thus enjoy the reissues. Sadly, I think your example (as nice as it is) will only interest true collectors at that price and would likely be somewhere around $2500 for a player to be interested. A few years back, you would likely get that price...timing is everything. So, I would put that original speaker back in it and fill it up with vintage tubes in order to entice the collectors who are looking for such a clean example of the Deluxe.

JustABluesGuy and MitchJ89 like this.
  16. MitchJ89

MitchJ89 Tele-Meister

Thanks for the insight! I’m not wanting to invest more into this amp. I am, however, willing to drop the price to accommodate.

Based on feedback here I’ve lowered the price a bit to 3000. I want to hover here for a while and see if anyone wants to pick it up.

At 2500 I don’t know if it’s worth selling imo. I really do love this amp...

17. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

I agree, I wouldn't want to sell it at $2500 either. It is just a frustrating market due to all the clone builders and when Fender actually gets a reissue right for a change. I keep thinking that it will be the high power vintage amps that will go up in value some day just because nobody is paying any attention to them and the market isn't saturated with clones of say a Twin. The world moves in a circle and what is fashionable today will not be tomorrow and vice-versa.

MitchJ89 likes this.
  18. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Interesting how pricing and value works.
    Reverb has a graph of sale prices over a years sales on Reverb, but only includes the condition the seller put on the listing.

Their current value range is not really consistent with the recent sales.

MitchJ89 likes this.
  19. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

according to page 434 of the Vintage guitar price guide 2018

1963-1981 1X12" 20 watt , 1963-1967 Blackface, 1968-1980 silverface
    option introduced in Mid 80'Blackface with silver grill, replaced by Deluxe reverb II
    Reissued as delux reverb 65'reissue
    1963-1967 blackface in low condition 2,300.00 in High condition 2,900.00 USD

please note these are subjective prices and amps that have been changed in any way loose considerable value , including cap jobs, blown transformers etc

Wally and MitchJ89 like this.
  20. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

I bought this 1964 Deluxe less than two years ago for $1600 from a high end guitar shop in my area.

It had a vintage Jensen speaker inside (not sure if was original) and it was in good original overall condition. Plus, it was supposedly owned by the lead guitarist for a well known touring band.

I’m not sure how rare a 1963 BF Deluxe -Amp is VS a later ‘64-‘67 BF Deluxe -Amp.

I have seen BF Deluxe’s for sale at the two vintage guitar/amps shops that I frequent with asking prices around $2000.

B402DBBC-6255-4689-A9F3-BF708CECECF8.jpeg

24 track and MitchJ89 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.