Hello hello - opinions on Nirvana - entertain us...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TokyoPortrait, May 21, 2020.

1. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

The Rolling Stones
    ZZ Top
    Johnny Cash
    Tom Petty
    Prince
    The Beatles
    Muddy Waters
    Willie Nelson
    Van Morrison...

That’s off the top of my head.

2. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

Hype, mythology, and artistic judgements aside....

Nirvana gave everyone a much needed reminder that the best rock and roll is dirty, reckless, and unfiltered.

They also showed me that I didn’t need to have expensive gear or be able to play million note solos to write my own songs and be in a band.

Honesty, authenticity, fearlessness. That’s what they brought to the table.

To each their own, though. If you were heavily into jazz, blues, or hair metal...then yeah, they probably weren’t for you.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    BorderRadio, Fearnot, dlew919 and 6 others like this.
  3. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

None of those bands reinvented themselves in a whole 'nother genre. They just made more of the same stuff.

All I was saying is that I don't think that we lost some amazing, unobtainium new music when Hendrix and Cobain died. We already got their best stuff.

Aerosmith has lots of albums...I could live with never listening to an Aerosmith song after the Rocks album, and I'd still be fulfilled. Same with the Stones, after Exile on Main St., did I really miss anything? Or put another way. WOuld you rather have the Stones up to Exile? Or after Exile...if you had to choose one.

ZZtop: just let me have everything up to Tres Hombres, and I'm pretty happy/lucky.

Does that make sense?

dlew919 likes this.
  4. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

That's because Novo and Grohl are still on the topside of the dirt.

Anytime some celeb offs themselves they are automatically elevated to Sainthood by the teeming millions--whether they were actually good or whether they sucked buttermilk.

Fretting out and Commodore 64 like this.
  5. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

If anyone here wants to continue to maintain their view that Cobain couldn’t play, there’s this....

....a perfectly crafted song with a great guitar solo. One of several in their catalog.

While strong songwriting and melodic hooks were his main focus, Kurt could play if he felt like it.

Too bad the moping, stumbling junkie image is the one so many choose to focus on.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    dlew919 and Uncle Bob like this.
  6. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

and something i posted already but that you might enjoy as well.

61fury and ElJay370 like this.
  7. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

I remember reading this in the 90's i think.
    Come as You Are: The Story of Nirvana by michael azzerad and i enjoyed it. I need to read it again. It has probably been updated since.

upload_2020-5-23_15-19-45.jpeg

If you enjoy the band, you might want to check this book out.

8. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

Honestly, it was hard for me to jump on the bandwagon when this song came out because I just could not understand what the guy was singing. Maybe a word here and there, but not enough to know what the song was about. And the title was no help. Smells Like Teen Spirit? What does that even mean? I realize now we can look up the lyrics on the internet and reflect on how brilliant and meaningful they were or whatever, but back then I just changed the radio preset and found something else.

9. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Meister

More accurately, the last real rock band hyped by the music industry and media.

10. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Nirvana took the fun out of rock. Hated them. Say what you want about hair metal, it had more of that original rock and roll swagger and, yes, fun.

So, to me, I’d rank Nirvana well behind bands like GnR, Motley Crue... even Bon Jovi. And none of those guys are in my top ten or regular rotation.

11. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I was playing in a cover band that played the Aspen - Glenwood Springs corridor out to Rifle... and the band leader wanted to do that song... and another one, and we worked it up and I had a boss vibrato pedal, and I cranked that thing to 11 and it made the weirdest sounds, but they were perfect for parts of the teen spirit song... our bass player loved them and the dead milkmen... that video era did some really weird things to music... last night we were working on some 'camp songs' for our whole family to play and my wife was suggesting bands from the 90's and I just thought, wow, does anybody listen to any of that music anymore?

I think I READ more about all those bands than actually listened or when I did I was..... just not hearing the greatness....

I guy I know is convinced that Nirvana is why there are school shootings.... and I always remind him of the 'i dont like mondays' kid.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.