Hello hello - opinions on Nirvana - entertain us...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TokyoPortrait, May 21, 2020.

1. Doomguy

Doomguy Tele-Meister

I wasn't around for the entire grunge/alt explosion. But I've heard my father talk about it enough to feel like I was, haha.

I tried to give Nirvana an honest listen. I think the Bleach record is interesting, definitely has that heavier, Melvins vibe (duh, Dale Crover some of the drumming on there, plus Buzzo and Dale were friends of Kurt's). After that they completely lost me. Just didn't inspire my ear at all.

Not hating them, won't hate on them. I don't think they were bad, just not for me for whatever reason.

I'll take Alice in Chains or Soundgarden over them any day. Hell, even Smashing Pumpkins or Dinosaur Jr.

Commodore 64 and BorderRadio like this.
  2. Churchjack

Churchjack Tele-Meister

Actually, I can see/hear why some don’t like’em. They were defiantly different (Yay!), but lyrically obscure and kinda downbeat (aww). I think the drugs were intimately connected to the output. It’s the reason I don’t listen to those Seattle bands so much these days. Similar heavy, navel-gazin’ mushmouth has taken over “alternative” radio in the Metroplex area.

LOL — from that era, the band I still listen to? Spin Doctors. Their first album. Why? FUN, that’s why. Heavy, navel-gazin’ mushmouth is a great place to visit, but....you know.

3. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

BorderRadio likes this.
  4. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

always overlooked : Screaming Trees

their last album Dust is a masterpiece .

chops ! “Good” bands ! :lol::lol::lol:

Smashing Pumpkins : 1979 and maybe Cherub Rock.

otherwise - that whiny voice...:eek:

Badmotorfinger and Nevermind were equally important to me back then.

And in hindsight, no band sounds like AIC. So great at what they did.
    Cantrell and Layne on twin vocals. So singular and definitive .

5. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yes, music is often drug related, almost all of it! Even spin doctors, I mean, I need to take drugs to listen to them :)

Heavy, navel-gazin’ mush mouth, I dunno. Does all music have to be syrup and so up-beat its a bit disconnected from the ...Earth?

Speaking of heavy navel gaze mush mouth, this is so bad-a, it hurts:

6. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I agree with most of this. FF was good to me the first few, and I gained respect because I thought he should of put the sticks down after Nirvana, as he could only be coat-tailing. BUT he proved otherwise, but then, yeah, everything you said about rote power pop. That’s well and good, but I moved on to other stuff. The last thing he collaborated on that I was all for was also the last QOTSA album that mattered to me, Songs For The Deaf. IMHO, that is a neo-classic album, second to their first two amalgamated into one, and Dave’s drumming is a part of that .

I see you about Mer de Noms, but it was not the only thing coming out that was great and original. I feel kinda bad for Millennials and those after trying to make a new sound. I’m not saying it’s all been done before, but the electric guitar might be 99.9 percent close to exhausting it’s potential of contributing to a ‘new sound’ ever again. It’s retro, and going to be that from this point forward. Fine with me, I like sticking to twang/surf-space-gaze. I learn Merle Travis and Chet Atkins jams because it’s a wtf to everything I ever knew about playing growing up.

But I’m drifting off point. Deftones put out original major label rock, Tool, and even System of a Down that carried original elements that backed up their ‘fame position’, and are as great as APC MdN. I’m ignoring a lot, but ‘major label’ gets blurry moving along in time.

Whatizitman likes this.
  7. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

That's exactly it - if Cobain were able to shred, it wouldn't have sounded like Nirvana, possibly more like AIC (who I love), and wouldn't have been as groundbreaking. Neither Hendrix nor Cobain were technically brilliant on guitar (both had contemporaries who were at a far higher skill level), but both those guys were saying something with the instrument. That's how you change the world of music.

TokyoPortrait and stonetone7 like this.
  8. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

In 1990 I used to play "Floyd The Barber" from Bleach on my friends' radio show as a joke. As a parody of "grunge" it was brilliant, but I'm pretty sure they were being serious. I was never a huge fan, I thought Mudhoney and Tad were better at the time. Still, "Teen Spirit" is a great song. The only Nirvana I listen to anymore is In Utero, which is easily their best.

matmosphere likes this.
  9. richbike

richbike Tele-Meister

i prefer Pixies myself but unplugged is a masterpiece IMHO. I can see how his voice could be a bit marmite...

BorderRadio likes this.
  10. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Holic

I actually lived in Seattle when he killed himself. Was sort of surreal. That said, I was never a big fan and believe if Curt had not killed himself they would not be so iconic. Pearl Jam, Sound Garden and Alice in Chains were better bands IMHO. I saw all of them in concert at one time or another. I had opportunities but never went to a Nirvana show. I do regret not seeing them live mainly because I can't say I saw them live.

Commodore 64 likes this.
  11. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Teen Spirit and Lithium and others had great melodies..

And the chorus of Lithium is pure genius

matmosphere and drmordo like this.
  12. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

They were iconic when he was still alive.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  13. Rasmuth

Rasmuth Tele-Afflicted

My favorite aspect of Nirvana was I loved how aggressive and hard the drummer played. Truly. And I like him even more now.

14. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Holic

They were an extremely popular band when he was still alive. Agree to disagree.

15. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

The border is thin though, i see what you mean.

Danb541 likes this.
  16. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I’ve said elsewhere that Hendrix songs aren’t that hard to learn but almost impossible to play like Hendrix!

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  17. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Meister

Off the top of my head (these are all artists I love):

Led Zeppelin
    King Crimson
    The Beatles
    The Who
    The Rolling Stones
    REM
    The Black Crowes (they are hit and miss, but some of their later stuff is their strongest)
    Fugazi
    Eric Clapton
    Shiner (although they only have 5 albums, their 3rd and 4th were two of my favorites ever)
    Joni Mitchell
    U2
    XTC

Should we get into jazz artists who reinvented themselves?
    Miles Davis
    John McLaughlin
    Tony Williams
    John Scofield (who ages like a fine wine)
    Buddy Rich (his music was almost always big band, but somehow his incredible technique never stopped improving)
    Pat Metheny

I'll stop there. Your question actually led me to think that maybe what makes a band truly great is they move past the 1-2 inspired early albums and bounce back with a brilliant 3rd, 4th, 5th and beyond. I agree that a lot of bands do lose their inspiration almost immediately.

There are not enough drugs for me to voluntarily listen to the Spin Doctors, even after all these years.

18. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Meister

I agree. What Hendrix plays is often simple in theory, but the tremendous strength of his style is incredibly difficult to imitate, and frankly if you did imitate it you would sound like a poser IMO.

Matthias likes this.
  19. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Well, having learned several of both Nirvana and Hendrix songs, I will say that the Hendrix ones are a LOT harder to learn than any Nirvana songs, even to half-arse it like me.

Matthias and Cloodie like this.
  20. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Holic

I listened to them a lot in high school. That was about 6 or 7 years after Kurt passed, I didn’t listen to popular music when I was like 8 when they were hitting it big.

I probably haven’t listened to an album of theirs all the way through since high school and don’t have any of their songs on a playlist.

I appreciate their cultural impact and like a handful of their songs, wouldn’t turn the radio off if they came on.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.