Hello hello - opinions on Nirvana - entertain us...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TokyoPortrait, May 21, 2020.

1. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Hi.

Recently, and in the semi recent past, in a couple of threads, Nirvana and their musical merits have been mentioned. Opinions seem a bit divided. Here’s Rick Beato’s take on Smells Like Teen Spirit.

And the video in question - dated by its non-widescreen glory.

Pax/
    Dean

2. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Ok. I’ll start.

I think they weren’t terribly special but cobain was an excellent songwriter. He’s just a bit older than me so I’d heard all his influences so wasn’t that blown away by them nonetheless a good to great band.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bassman8, stnmtthw and Fretting out like this.
  3. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

It is interesting to notice that nobody really manage to reproduce the rhythm and feel of the teen spirit intro. Even Kurt Cobain couldn't really do it like it was recorded.
    Some Butch Vig trickery going on ?

dlew919 likes this.
  4. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

Skip to 2’50:

I think this riff is a good example of why individual idiosyncrasies are a huge part of the way it sounds.

johnny k likes this.
  5. Old Smokey

Old Smokey TDPRI Member

At the time, I preferred STP and Pearl Jam. Don’t really listen to stuff like that anymore.

6. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

Agreed, but it never really sounds exactly like the record. Then again, maybe there is some studio magic behind it.

7. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

One great hit single and a lot of tedious stuff.

I bought Nevermind when it came out and got rid of it pretty quickly. Boring.

But the low point was the Unplugged album. My ears are still complaining.

Nirvana was the very definition of overrated in my book.

But hey, if you like them - great. My sister is a smart lady, 10 years younger than me, and they were her generation, and she loved them.

But I had the Pixies . . .

8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I liked em’.
    They were hypnotic, dark, moody and memorable.
    I totally got why they were a big deal.
    RIP, Kurt.

9. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Was probably 5-7 years to old for the mega fandom but really enjoyed Unplugged.

Hated Nevermind when I first heard but it quickly grew on me. Some songs from subsequent albums but they slowly got weirder and weirder.

My favourite, after a few listens (like most things with me) is the "live album, From the Muddy Banks of the Wishbah....or something like that.

Simple, catchy songs that aren't that easy to get the same feel and character that he had when playing. Imo.

Do prefer Pearl Jam, Bush and Silverchair but still like them though.

SweetClyde99 likes this.
  10. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Rick Beato, is he a critic off some sort somebody who gets paid to be a spokesperson, somebody that gets paid to push the rising tide of conformity along the way?
    I'm (sometimes a simple guy) only able to say the It heard Smells like Teen Spirit and I found That I liked Nirvana .
    I did not care about the individuals of the band , or the hype-machine and the avalanche of, torn jeans and plaid. I knew that I liked the music. And yes, healthy fit cheerleaders with tribal tattoos was a turn on, especially since the were cheering twisting and turning to nirvana's throbbing distorted screamed music, The Cheer Leader: another america icon goes up in flames poof

I do have a nirvana favorite album/c.d. "In Utero".

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  11. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave TDPRI Member

Nirvana was never my thing at the time, and it hasn't grown on me since.
    But in comparison to today's standards, it definitely had something special going on.
    Commercial rock and metal had mostly consumed itself by 1990.
    Something needed to change I suppose.

12. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

I love nirvana but can’t stand when people praise the vocals or musicianship, I’m as big of a Kurt fan as anyone and I’ll be the first to admit that his voice is not pleasant, however it does fit the music.

He was however a master at creating a simple groove

And the other guys held it together beautifully, I Don’t think Novoselic or Grohl get enough credit as the backbone of the band

nojazzhere and Mad Kiwi like this.
  13. ramonet

ramonet Tele-Meister

The most over-valued band in history, period!. Nothing special

14. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I was in college when they came out.
    MTV still played videos at the time and all they seemed to play was hair metal schlock. Teen Spirit was so different it garnered a lot of attention.

For the younger folks, understand there was no internet then. All we got was what they gave us. No YouTube no pandora no million stations on Sirius Xm.

Y’all all have heard the stories of how grunge killed hair bands, hair bands were already trite and Nirvana were something new.
    I wasn’t particularly a fan but they were everywhere and you couldn’t help but hear them.

15. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

They sort of slid by around here...except for certain songs played too often on some FM stations...

the local music scene around here was the best it's been during the 90's.. local pubs, halls, parties were all putting on events/CD launches, etc... we knew most of the bands and hung out with them or hired them for parties...

looking back, those were good times....on a local level...

it's a shame a lot of good aussie bands of the time were buried under the US grunge radio era....and missed their due on the airwaves...

16. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

I bought (and listened to) Dirt and Facelift instead.

kris ford, El Famoso, NICQ and 2 others like this.
  17. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

I think you are going to see a lot of responses divided along generational lines.

I was 11 years old when Nevermind came out, so it was a huge influence on me. I think what a lot of people forget is that Nirvana was part of a huge cultural shift in 1991. Nirvana wasn't the only huge band to come out of that year- I remember the Chili Peppers released Blood Sugar Sex Magic, Soundgaden released Badmotorfinger, and Pearl Jam released Ten all in the same couple months as Nevermind was released. Alice in Chains and Stone Temole Pilots were all floating around during this time as well.

I don't think it was much different than what happened in the '60s, when the Beatles and Stones blew everyone's socks off.

18. Tedyjoe1

Tedyjoe1 TDPRI Member

Bleach

Uncle Bob and edvard like this.
  19. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

Never was a fan and never understood the hype.
    Different strokes, etc

nojazzhere and Jakedog like this.
  20. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Holic

Wow! Just wow.

I think his voice is stunning. I've been watching their live vids and was so impressed with his vocals, even during wild antics.

I once compared his unplugged vocals to his original recordings and luved his rawer, raspier n so emotive live version even more.

You can't hear the pain, emotion, anguish in his voice? His demise clearly suggests it wasn't fake or acting.

Each to their own I guess, but I totally get the appeal. Captured the mood of his generation.

Wasn't Smells like Teen Spirit recently voted best song of all time?

Last edited: May 21, 2020
    Turtleneck and Mad Kiwi like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.