Hello from western MA

arlitosannoe

TDPRI Member
Hello! I just bought my first tele yesterday, after lots of research and hemming and hawing. I'm really into it.

It's a 2000s MiM with a few mods, including a 4-way switch and Glastonbury pickups. I'm coming from a G&L Doheny and it's a great compliment to that guitar. So far, I'm really loving it and it's feeling really versatile.

My only issue thus far (it's been 24 hours) is a buzzy low E string. I can fix it a bit by adjusting the saddle height but I'm particular about action and I don't want to raise it too much. I trust the shop I bought this from and they say they did a full set up before listing it, but maybe I just need another go at it? Is this an issue others have seen?

Edit: here's a pic

IMG_1447.jpg

Last edited:

zook

Friend of Leo's
Hello! I just bought my first tele yesterday, after lots of research and hemming and hawing. I'm really into it.

It's a 2000s MiM with a few mods, including a 4-way switch and Glastonbury pickups. I'm coming from a G&L Doheny and it's a great compliment to that guitar. So far, I'm really loving it and it's feeling really versatile.

My only issue thus far (it's been 24 hours) is a buzzy low E string. I can fix it a bit by adjusting the saddle height but I'm particular about action and I don't want to raise it too much. I trust the shop I bought this from and they say they did a full set up before listing it, but maybe I just need another go at it? Is this an issue others have seen?
It might be that the nut was cut too low. Check that.

charlie chitlin

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Welcome!
I'm in Egremont.
I'm also a fairly competent tech.
If you'd like to bring it by, I'll evaluate it for free.
And, for the last (almost) 2 years, I've been doing repairs on a pandemic-friendly pay-what-you-can basis ;)

boxocrap

Tele-Afflicted

View attachment 941821
looks nice an clean

Will_Darden

TDPRI Member
Beautiful choice for your first tele! I got my first tele about 2 years ago and fell in love -- it's a Squire CV blackguard with upgraded guts (tex mex pickups, new pots/wire/switch) and a fantastic setup. I was immediately in love, but I still hope to upgrade it to Baja wiring (phase and series/parallel control) sometime soon.

I'm working on my second build right now, a Tele Deluxe baritone, and I'm going to refinish the top in a blue metallic like yours with cream binding / pick guard / tone knobs. Still looking for those cream knobs, so I might have to mod some Strat or LP knobs to get the look I want.

arlitosannoe

TDPRI Member
One adjustment I'm needing to make is the lack of a contour. I realized I'm so used to the offset body shape, it just kind of hugs you while you play. Any tips for getting used to the square edges? Where to you recommend letting it hang when standing?

charlie chitlin

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
One adjustment I'm needing to make is the lack of a contour. I realized I'm so used to the offset body shape, it just kind of hugs you while you play. Any tips for getting used to the square edges? Where to you recommend letting it hang when standing?
Hang 'em high!
That low slung rockstar stuff won't cut it.
Roy had it right.

Chuckster

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Welcome aboard from North Attleboro/Cape Cod.

Check your humidity levels, that could be affecting the buzz.

Drew617

Tele-Holic

View attachment 941821

Welcome, and that's a handsome guitar! We have great friends in Northampton. Whether that's Western Mass or the PV probably depends on your perspective. :)

Second Chuckster's comment about the humidity. Generally: Don't adjust relief to adjust action, but your fret buzz could easily be about relief.

arlitosannoe

TDPRI Member
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

Welcome, and that's a handsome guitar! We have great friends in Northampton. Whether that's Western Mass or the PV probably depends on your perspective. :)

Second Chuckster's comment about the humidity. Generally: Don't adjust relief to adjust action, but your fret buzz could easily be about relief.

I'd say that the Pioneer Valley is a part of western MA, but that's just me :)

I'm very wary about adjusting relief/playing with the truss rod. I think I might just be finicky about buzzing at certain frets and need to just accept it. Right now, it's happening on the low E around the 5-7th frets but it's not super noticeable through the amp. It just might be the feel of the guitar that I need to get used to.