Hello from new builder.

YorkshireSimon

TDPRI Member
Hi all,

I've just taken up guitar, at 45, and am only just beginning my guitar journey.

Somewhat unusually, I think, I decided to build my first guitar and I'm currently building an amp to go with it.

Here's the guitar...

PXL_20210819_163606047.jpg

Yes I know I put the headstock upside down, but I realised late on, and just couldn't face doing the neck all over again. It seems to work ok. Generally it's a passable guitar, and it'll do until I get better at playing it.

I've just started the Justin Guitar course, and am about 3 months in. Not much natural talent but I'm enjoying myself.

I'm now starting on building an amp, following designs on Rob Robinette's website (https://robrobinette.com/Amp_Stuff.htm)

Which is how I find myself here, Rob recommends coming here for advice and support from other amp builders.

So, hello, from Yorkshire in the UK.

Simon.

Last edited:

Telecaster582

Tele-Afflicted
Wow! What a great way to kick off a journey into guitar! Very wise guitar choice too. I like that reverse headstock, and Rob was smart to send you here. You'll learn a bunch and hopefully have fun too. Welcome!

WingedWords

Friend of Leo's
Hello and welcome.
I wonder if you know this book? It's an excellent book, by a lovely man who recently died, far too young.

Just to say that you're not alone with your headstock "choice". I met Melvyn briefly once back in the 90s and he revealed that his choice of building a left handed guitar in one chapter was actually the result of an error with a template during an all-night photo session in a borrowed, more photogenic, workshop. So you're in good company.

You won't be around TDPRI very long before working out that we like pictures, lots of pictures! And lots of build details too.

Sparky472

Tele-Afflicted
Fantastic. I’m 52 and would love to learn how to build guitars - not just assemble partscasters. I have almost zero woodworking experience and none of the tools. So who knows, but you’ve given me a bit of inspiration.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Hey!

Your guitar looks nice. I like a clean neck. I can’t do that, I’m a menace with cutting tools.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Cool man!! Way to go jumpin' in with both feet like that! I've actually seen the reverse headstock before so, it's AOK in my book! ;) No dots!?!?? Whoa... next level man. What I really want to know is - What's the cool old school arcade game you got there? :)

Dostradamas

Tele-Afflicted
Hands on approach, very nice sir.

I like the look of the reverse headstock but the tuners on the bottom are just awkward enough for me to stick to standard.

Nice looking work so far, welcome.