Hello from Dirty New Jersey

moonlighter

TDPRI Member
Welcome, OP!

How's that big E string on the tuner furthest from the nut? Looks stressful to me.

Dirty Jersey? Awww... that's just a marketing slogan to help keep tourists away.
Bayonne, Trenton, Newark, Jersey City really are quite lovely.

Did y'all know that Houdini's most famous magic trick was escaping from NJ?
He was my inspiration when I turned 18.

It'd be one thing if the string length was an issue, but I'm using strings meant for archtops, so there are plenty of windings on the tuning peg. After 5years of stability, I'm not worried about it. Plus it makes me feel like Hendrix 😉

GGardner

Friend of Leo's

Skyhook

Friend of Leo's
Hey all, figured I'd drop a line.
Long time bystander, first time active member.

I've been building guitars, tube amps and effects pedals for about 8 years now, and have always used this forum as a valuable resource. After coming here for info so frequently for so long, I figured it's about time I give some knowledge back when I can. It's actually due in part to TDPRI that I work as a pharma and packaging machine engineer, because if forums like this weren't here for me to learn from in the beginning I never would have applied myself to further study things from large current power supply design to relay ladder logic, and for that I'm grateful.
Through my current side gig, Moonlighter Electric, I put out one-off original effects pedals and amplifiers I build on a whim, and also offer design consultations (typically free unless the design is for profit).

Anyway, enough gab, here's my No. 1 Tele.
Built in 2017 with a Louisiana swamp ash body, a nitro neck from Lewis Guitars (from when they were only making parts and not whole instruments), a Decoboom gaurd, and some other fun features. Always strung with flatwounds, because I can't shake that jazz education no matter how hard I try.

View attachment 1036051
View attachment 1036041
View attachment 1036042

Best,

Vince P
Welcome aboard!
Nice looking lefty you've got there.

Although... what does the switch on the horn do?

moonlighter

TDPRI Member
Although... what does the switch on the horn do?

So the horn switch is the pickup selector, and the plate switch selects the "mode" of the circuit.
In first position (plate switch closest to tone knob) I get a higher inductance neck p'up, half-out-of-phase, and a plain bridge. Second position is both pickups in series humbucking, and then two bridge positions.
Third position is stock Telecaster.

I have an updated version of this circuit with a pushpull knob to switch modes, and it gets rid of the duplicate positions. No super switch or anything just a pushpull CTS tone pot and normal CRL 3-way toggle.
It works out to be,
Push: Neck, Parallel, Bridge with higher inductance.
Pull: Out-of-Phase, Series, plain Bridge.
The inductor is just a red Fasel from Jimmy Dunlop

Attachments

• 20220824_171034.jpg
    20220824_171034.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 10