Hello from Dirty New Jersey

moonlighter

TDPRI Member
Welcome - NJ guy here as well. Chatham and Normandy Beach.

Swell guitar you got.
never tried flatwounds…. Maybe I should.
If you already play with 11s or 12s, you won't have to do too much getting used to. The first things you'll notice; the tone is thicker, the harmonics are primarily low order (no tinny sounds) and you don't have that infernal scratch sound when you move your hand around the fretboard. You can sub the wound G for a similar gauge in plain steel if you want to do full step bends without so much pain, it's what I do on my Strat.
Jimmy Page purportedly played flats on his Tele for all of Zep I, and that's enough of an excuse for me to say they deserve a better reputation than as just the "jazz" guitar strings.

arlum

Friend of Leo's
Platinum Supporter
Is New Jersey really all that dirty or is that an affectionate name shared by the locals? The company I work for has it's head quarters in New Jersey and none of the managers who have to go back and forth have commented on the dirtiness. Quite a few diss on the intersections while driving but no one mentions any type of run away filth or stringent smell resulting from it. Is it possible you've overstated or defamed your home state without meaning too. There are folks on the internet who take these comments quite literally. On one hand vacationers might chose to go elsewhere. On the other hand a group of do gooders might send a fleet of garbage trucks to help with the mess, be met by the membership of the local trash collectors union and a small war, truck against truck could develop. Just imagine. Two somewhat smelly fleets going into battle with one another. Claw arms being used for purposes they were never designed for. Tipped trucks spilling their load. All that beeping during the battle by trucks going in reverse. Think twice before saying anything on the internet. An old stinky thrown away sausage isn't guaranteed to stay in the can it was placed in. It could end up in the front seat of your high dollar convertible or on the pier where you keep your boat or maybe just on your average front lawn but stinky all the same.

Jim622

Friend of Leo's
Is New Jersey really all that dirty or is that an affectionate name shared by the locals? The company I work for has it's head quarters in New Jersey and none of the managers who have to go back and forth have commented on the dirtiness. Quite a few diss on the intersections while driving but no one mentions any type of run away filth or stringent smell resulting from it. Is it possible you've overstated or defamed your home state without meaning too. There are folks on the internet who take these comments quite literally. On one hand vacationers might chose to go elsewhere. On the other hand a group of do gooders might send a fleet of garbage trucks to help with the mess, be met by the membership of the local trash collectors union and a small war, truck against truck could develop. Just imagine. Two somewhat smelly fleets going into battle with one another. Claw arms being used for purposes they were never designed for. Tipped trucks spilling their load. All that beeping during the battle by trucks going in reverse. Think twice before saying anything on the internet. An old stinky thrown away sausage isn't guaranteed to stay in the can it was placed in. It could end up in the front seat of your high dollar convertible or on the pier where you keep your boat or maybe just on your average front lawn but stinky all the same.
Like any other place it has its good and bad. Growing up we used to joke it was the smell across the river. I don't live there, but we recently bought there and it is growing on us.

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
Hey all, figured I'd drop a line.
Long time bystander, first time active member.

I've been building guitars, tube amps and effects pedals for about 8 years now, and have always used this forum as a valuable resource. After coming here for info so frequently for so long, I figured it's about time I give some knowledge back when I can. It's actually due in part to TDPRI that I work as a pharma and packaging machine engineer, because if forums like this weren't here for me to learn from in the beginning I never would have applied myself to further study things from large current power supply design to relay ladder logic, and for that I'm grateful.
Through my current side gig, Moonlighter Electric, I put out one-off original effects pedals and amplifiers I build on a whim, and also offer design consultations (typically free unless the design is for profit).

Anyway, enough gab, here's my No. 1 Tele.
Built in 2017 with a Louisiana swamp ash body, a nitro neck from Lewis Guitars (from when they were only making parts and not whole instruments), a Decoboom gaurd, and some other fun features. Always strung with flatwounds, because I can't shake that jazz education no matter how hard I try.

View attachment 1036051
View attachment 1036041
View attachment 1036042

Best,

Vince P
welcome to the club .

OlRedNeckHippy

Poster Extraordinaire
Is New Jersey really all that dirty or is that an affectionate name shared by the locals? ......
YES!
Someone recently suggested I petition this place for a gig. It's about an hour south of here, down by Salem. It's the old Alloway Inn, recently acquired by new owners, and a new identity.

292466248_144262401588514_1280832313617993566_n.jpg

There is also a band round here named Dirty Jersey

2n.jpg

TequilaCaster

Tele-Holic
Welcome, OP!

How's that big E string on the tuner furthest from the nut? Looks stressful to me.

Dirty Jersey? Awww... that's just a marketing slogan to help keep tourists away.
Bayonne, Trenton, Newark, Jersey City really are quite lovely.

Did y'all know that Houdini's most famous magic trick was escaping from NJ?
He was my inspiration when I turned 18.