Hello from Cleveland!

emptyminded42

TDPRI Member
Fifty years ago, I would have sent you to Lays in Akron ;)

That was back when Virgil had the shop, and he was the best around

I have no idea who is running it now - I was out-of-town for a long time

Now-a-days, I do my own setups - as well as completely finished new builds right from scratch

Yeah, I left town for about 10 years for college and then work but managed to land my dream job here in CLE about 5-1/2 years ago and my wife and I are very happy to be back home.

I might have ta pick your brain about my finishing plans for my P-bass which is gonna be up first before the Jazzcaster body is ready. And some set up tips (forgive me as I haven’t searched that topic yet but is there a good thread/sub forum for setup? I’ve never done one but I’d love to learn - my Cyclone hasn’t been adjusted since…. ‘05 when I bought it and took to a shop in North Royalton which I think is no longer there.

Unrelated, I had to laugh at Bruns-tucky - I grew up in St. Rongsville to your north and we made the same joke in high school.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Hey!

When I was a kid my dad moved us there for a little while so he could teach calc at Case. Lots of cool things to do in Cleveland. Still visit there about once a quarter.

old wrench

Friend of Leo's
Back when I got of school and left for greener pastures, Cleveland was a different town than it is now.

Even if you didn't or couldn't make it to college, there were still good blue-collar jobs - we used to make everything in Cleveland - right from making the steel and on to manufacturing all of the finished products including cars and trucks

It was dirty as hell though

I had a T-shirt back then with a picture showing the Terminal Tower with big smoke-stacks behind it belching out smoke and fire - just below the picture were the words " Cleveland, You Gotta Be Tough"

I've been around the country quite a bit since then, and I can tell ya that Cleveland is a good place to live, and it has some of the best people you'll find anywhere ya go

Hell, the Cuyahoga River doesn't even catch on fire anymore ;)

Maybe you're talking about Royalton Music on Royalton Rd (Rt. 82)???

I think they are still there, I used to buy strings from them, and I believe they had or have a tech or repair/setup guy working there - nice folks at that store

A long time ago (1970s) there was an outfit in North Royalton that manufactured amps and speaker cabs, although I can't remember the name at the moment - I do remember that all of their amps were solid-state amps - I had one of their 2 X 12" cabs at one point - I seem to remember it weighing about 200 lbs. - it was a big heavy old clunker :)

Over in the "Tele Home Depot" part of the forum we have a good, fairly recent thread on doing setups that you might want to check out - lots of good info

That's the part of the forum where I think you'll find most of the good stuff about building guitars and parts-casters - lots of good and helpful folks there too

We even have an excellent Tele blueprint complete with every measurement and dimension that you can down-load and print out at full-size to make an excellent template for building your own Tele

I had one of the copy places make me up a couple of copies on the heavier-duty paper that they usually use for making blue-prints - I glued one copy down to some 3/4" MDF and then cut and sanded to the lines to make a template, and I have the other copy hanging on the shop wall to use for reference

If you have any questions about anything that I can help with, just let me know or drop me a p.m.

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I have used Lay's in the distant past as well. I have not been happy with the shops I've used locally, so I end up doing my own.

Maybe post something in the Bad Dog? There are a number of Clevelanders on the board, one of them should have an idea who can do that kind of work.

old wrench

Friend of Leo's
Hey!

When I was a kid my dad moved us there for a little while so he could teach calc at Case. Lots of cool things to do in Cleveland. Still visit there about once a quarter.

I saw the Allman Brothers when they played at Adelbert Hall at Case Western Reserve University back in 1971 - late winter - in February, I think it was

I saw them a few times, but that was the first time and the best

It was such a small venue - right up close - almost like having them play in your living room at home!

Back then ('60s and 70s), Cleveland always had the very best live music !!!

emptyminded42

TDPRI Member
Welcome, how about a pic of that Cyclone!
Ask and ye shall receive! Not the best pic but here’s my current guitar setup:

3B9E81DC-2688-4AB5-B518-A3E515FCFC11.jpeg

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I saw the Allman Brothers when they played at Adelbert Hall at Case Western Reserve University back in 1971 - late winter - in February, I think it was

I saw them a few times, but that was the first time and the best

It was such a small venue - right up close - almost like having them play in your living room at home!

Back then ('60s and 70s), Cleveland always had the very best live music !!!

Took my son on a recruiting visit to CSU last fall and we went over to Case and took pictures under the hand sculpture.

emptyminded42

TDPRI Member
Just general comment - you all are awesome and I really appreciate the info and the very warm welcome! This place feels like the miata.net of the guitar world (which is high praise!)

Quarter1969

TDPRI Member
Howdy from over the pond! Enjoy this great forum :) As much as you guitar is stunning, get some cheap Tele for a few bucks, just to be fully legit ;) ;) ;)

ReverendRevolver

Friend of Leo's
Yeah, I left town for about 10 years for college and then work but managed to land my dream job here in CLE about 5-1/2 years ago and my wife and I are very happy to be back home.

I might have ta pick your brain about my finishing plans for my P-bass which is gonna be up first before the Jazzcaster body is ready. And some set up tips (forgive me as I haven’t searched that topic yet but is there a good thread/sub forum for setup? I’ve never done one but I’d love to learn - my Cyclone hasn’t been adjusted since…. ‘05 when I bought it and took to a shop in North Royalton which I think is no longer there.

Unrelated, I had to laugh at Bruns-tucky - I grew up in St. Rongsville to your north and we made the same joke in high school.

The only place I can recommend for setups (the regular kind or Plek) is almost 3 hours away in Heath. Dunno what Plek would run, but I think it's like $60 or a bit more for a full setup on something that doesn't have a floating trem system.

I recently inquired because I anticipate having to get the next purchase setup there......

Yesyoudidyouare

Tele-Meister
Fifty years ago, I would have sent you to Lays in Akron ;)

That was back when Virgil had the shop, and he was the best around

I have no idea who is running it now - I was out-of-town for a long time

Now-a-days, I do my own setups - as well as completely finished new builds right from scratch

Its the same brothers it has always been.

OLD OLD school place.

I bought a Hella old acoustic from there, like 1930s acoustic or something, looks like it was built yesterday.

Yesyoudidyouare

Tele-Meister
FYI, to any of the fine south of Cleveland folk---

Nothin to brag about, being near cleveland.

Medina County, Brunstucky, Columbus, now they are worth bragging about.

old wrench

Friend of Leo's
Its the same brothers it has always been.

OLD OLD school place.

I bought a Hella old acoustic from there, like 1930s acoustic or something, looks like it was built yesterday.

No - not even close

You are off by about two whole generations

One of the young guys who are in there now might be Virgil's grandkid - hell, it's got to be at least ten years since Virgil passed on - R.I.P.

Virgil, the original owner, started the guitar shop in the early 1960s, and he also started the "Stay in Tune" (S.I.T.) string company too - he was a top-notch guitar mechanic - a player too, pedal steel

emptyminded42

TDPRI Member
The only place I can recommend for setups (the regular kind or Plek) is almost 3 hours away in Heath. Dunno what Plek would run, but I think it's like $60 or a bit more for a full setup on something that doesn't have a floating trem system.

I recently inquired because I anticipate having to get the next purchase setup there......
Yikes. No way I'm driving nearly 3 hours one-way for a setup even if it's the best guitar tech in the world.

...Maybe you're talking about Royalton Music on Royalton Rd (Rt. 82)???

I think they are still there, I used to buy strings from them, and I believe they had or have a tech or repair/setup guy working there - nice folks at that store...
Y'know, I definitely was but I swear their shop was on the north side of 82 and closer to W 130th when I went there last. Maybe I'm misremembering... anyway I might give them a ring when I'm ready to have my stuff set up again. My Cyclone and Warwick probably need a refeshed setup after all these years.

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I was in Cleveland many centuries ago. I had a friend there who took me to the Euclid Tavern. Is it still there? We saw Terry Hynde's band (yes, Chrissie's brother). That was a long time ago....