Hello from Cleveland!

emptyminded42

TDPRI Member
Hey all, my name's Mark and I'm a new member from Cleveland, Ohio. I'm joining this forum because I'm building a Jazzcaster and a P-bass and found a ton of helpful threads in the Finely Finished area and wanted to share my builds and get some advice along the way. I'm a hobbyist and been playing bass for about 18 or so years (and guitar, but I'm really a bassist) - mainly in the high school jazz band and pit orchestras (for musicals). I also played with my buddies in a blues/classic rock cover band in high school and early college at a few shows at coffee shops, bars, and festivals but after I went out of state for college I wasn't able to play much. They're still playing locally which is cool.

Anyway, my current gear is a Fender Cyclone II in candy apple red and a 75W Line6 Spyder III modeling amp - it's really surprising how versatile the Jag pickups are on the Cyclone and I've recently really started to dig in to the modeling settings on the amp. I also have a cheap Washburn acoustic.

On the bass front, I've got my Warwick RockBass Corvette Classic 5-string which has been my one and only bass since maybe my second year of playing (I started on a Squier Precision 5-string) and really love it. My bass amp is a 350W Peavey BAM 210 which is also a modeling amp and I really love it. Eventually I'll get a tube head for my guitar and one for my bass but for now, the modeling amps do a fine job.

Anyway, I'm going to post my Jazzcaster and P-bass builds in the Tele Home Depot area so feel free to take a look and tell me what you think!

ReverendRevolver

Friend of Leo's
Welcome from the middle of the state!

Those cyclone IIs are awesome, I played one at String Shoppe on High st in Columbus(probably2005?), and by the time I got paid I called them and found out it sold.

Keep us posted on the buids!

Fenderdad1950

Friend of Leo's
Welcome from Albuquerque, New Mexico. I've seen the Cyclone II with the triple Jag pick-ups. If it's the one with the racing stripe, it would be great for surf music. Play on

emptyminded42

TDPRI Member
Welcome from the middle of the state!

Those cyclone IIs are awesome, I played one at String Shoppe on High st in Columbus(probably2005?), and by the time I got paid I called them and found out it sold.

Keep us posted on the buids!

Cleveland! - it's the home of rock n roll !!!

Welcome to the forum

I'm a little bit south of you (Medina county) for the time being, but if I can be of any help - let me know

Welcome from Albuquerque, New Mexico. I've seen the Cyclone II with the triple Jag pick-ups. If it's the one with the racing stripe, it would be great for surf music. Play on

I'm just a bit southwest of you. Welcome!

Thanks all! Really appreciate the warm welcome and happy to see a bunch of Ohioans on the board! I'm out in Aurora and I definitely won't hesitate to reach out for some help/advice.

I do really love my Cyclone - it's a really unique mashup of (IMO) Fender's greatest hits and the candy apply red + racing strip is just objectively cool. But I'm really excited to build the Jazzcaster and get that sweet Tele bridge tone - plus a cool offset body!

Someone else should talk me into getting the Fender MIM tele neck instead of the Mighty Mite one 😅

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Thanks all! Really appreciate the warm welcome and happy to see a bunch of Ohioans on the board! I'm out in Aurora and I definitely won't hesitate to reach out for some help/advice.

I will be at the Aurora Inn for a funeral in Garrettsville next week. I'm actually in Medina, so more just west of you.

old wrench

Friend of Leo's
Do you guys have a favorite shop around here to get guitars set up? I will hopefully be done with my bass in about a month and definitely want a pro setting my action.

Fifty years ago, I would have sent you to Lays in Akron ;)

That was back when Virgil had the shop, and he was the best around

I have no idea who is running it now - I was out-of-town for a long time

Now-a-days, I do my own setups - as well as completely finished new builds right from scratch

wacolo

Tele-Afflicted
dfb6349c-b3c3-4251-81f7-b4ec71d25b44_text.gif