Hello from Alabama!

mspencer27

TDPRI Member
Hello! I'm Mac - A guitarist dabbling in any genre I can get my hands on. I'm in college for Spanish guitar, playing in a punk band, and teaching anything from Taylor Swift to Jimi Hendrix. Recently I've picked up the task to learn my late grandfather's 1960's pedal steel, but with little to no luck with YouTube and Google searches, I've found myself searching the forums for advice! I've posted a thread in hopes of meeting some pedal steel players, so if you have any helping tips for a beginner who knows absolutely nothing about this instrument feel free to check it out!

-Mac

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Hello! I'm Mac - A guitarist dabbling in any genre I can get my hands on. I'm in college for Spanish guitar, playing in a punk band, and teaching anything from Taylor Swift to Jimi Hendrix. Recently I've picked up the task to learn my late grandfather's 1960's pedal steel, but with little to no luck with YouTube and Google searches, I've found myself searching the forums for advice! I've posted a thread in hopes of meeting some pedal steel players, so if you have any helping tips for a beginner who knows absolutely nothing about this instrument feel free to check it out!

-Mac

Howdy from Florida!

Toadtele

Friend of Leo's
Welcome Mac.
I’m sure there are a few around here who know all about.
Enjoy your new task! Let us know how it goes.

Flip G

Tele-Holic
Sweet tea!

Howdy from a former resident of Auburn, AL (1999-2002).

If we could figure out a way for you to ship a couple of crates of THIS stuff to Canada, I think we could form a partnership! :)
428957_2.jpg

Buell

Tele-Holic
Impressive resume, Stone. I wish I could help you with the pedal steel but I'm sure someone on here knows a thing or two. Welcome aboard!

Skyhook

Friend of Leo's

-Mac
Hi, Mac!
Oh maaan... I've wanted a PSG for quite some time now!
You've already got the hard part done: acquisition.
Playing the thing's gonna be a cinch in comparison. ;)

Fenderdad1950

Friend of Leo's
Welcome from Albuquerque, New Mexico. A little info for you, Leo Fender repaired steel guitars and then started manufactured them. This is where the famed Telecaster guitar is rooted. The Tele originally came out in the single pickup Esquire model. I think Fender corp should have continued manufacturing the steel guitar. But on the plus side, musicians came out almost in droves and bought the hand held electric guitar, making the Telecaster a huge hit.
Leo-Fender_mmp0pd.jpg

Fenderdad1950

Friend of Leo's
Living in New Mexico, here is a little side note concerning Spanish music (excuse the pun) a variant is Ranchetas music, which is what most people hear in a authentic Mexican restaurant from the band playing inside. Of course this is quite different than classical Spanish music and Flamenco music. It is a lively polka-esque style of music and something that you hear everywhere in Albuquerque, including regularly from car in traffic. Here is a short vid

kuch

Friend of Leo's

-Mac
Welcome Mac.
Sounds like you're on a good journey.
Have fun!

A song I always think of associate with your state....

Quarter1969

TDPRI Member
Welcome and greetings from Warsaw (the original one, not the one in IL, KY, MO, IN, NY, NC or OH :D )! Cannot help much cos we have maybe 5 pedal steelers in the whole country (2 of them remarkably good, though, with the history of playing in Grand Ole Opry) but I'm sure someone here would chime in.