1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Hello FR: Oregon, strings question

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by obcbeatle, Jan 22, 2021.

1. obcbeatle

obcbeatle TDPRI Member

Hello, I've been playing my Tele since around 1976. I believe the manufacture date is around 1969. Always loved this guitar. But it's hard to pull the 1st string (when playing) as that string is so close to the edge of the neck, it's hard to get under it for pulling. Other than that, this is still the best guitar I've ever played. Love the feel of the neck. And the sound! Always has been my favorite for playing/performing. I'm giving some thought to trying much thicker strings on this guitar. Just to give it more grip for my fingers. I'm playing more chords these days (less leads) and I can pull all the other strings w/ no problem anyway (except that 1st string, which I just hammer a lot). Usually I put on strings that start w/ a 9 or 10. Was thinking of going as high as 11 or 12. Anyone have any suggestions/comments re: this, and about the strings you use on your Tele? Thanks in advance.

2. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Maybe the nut is cut too close to the edge, maybe the neck is a bit crooked in the neck pocket (I had to adjust my Strat because of that), maybe I don't understand your question?

I use Ernie Ball 11s on my Tele.

Welcome aboard.

8barlouie likes this.
  3. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

My thoughts exactly. Some pics would help.

4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Howdy and welcome!

5. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Neck pocket or bridge saddle.

6. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Tele-Holic

Hello, welcome to TDPRI, glad to have you here.
    Photos would be nice to see.
    I'm using 10-46 on my Tele's.

7. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Welcome! I had to nudge my saddle for the high E/B strings a hair to the inside to help address that same issue, but it doesn't of course do much for up closer to the nut.

8. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Welcome to TDPRI :)

9. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Some of those old necks are very narrow. My 74 is the narrowest neck I own. This crowds the strings somewhat. It also is rolled quite a bit which doesn't help. If the strings appear centered, you can leave it and adapt (push instead of pull), slide the nut toward the bass side a little, or cut a new nut the way you would like it.

FWIW, I use 10s.

10. Tall-Fir

Tall-Fir Tele-Meister

Hello and welcome to tdpri from a native Oregonian.

I use 9.5s on my teles. I find pull offs difficult to do sometimes because after years of playing my finger tips are still soft and fleshy. I agree that a larger set might help or give you a new perspective regarding pulloffs on the the high E. Good luck. Sounds like you have a nice telecaster to work with. Indeed a nut adjustment as mentioned earlier might also be a part of your solution.

11. 68Telebass

68Telebass Friend of Leo's

Welcome aboard from Sunny Arizona!!

You’ve already got some great advice before I crashed the party!!
    You’ve come to the right place! ;)
    Welcome Home!!

12. obcbeatle

obcbeatle TDPRI Member

Thanks for all the replies. I tried to attach some photos, hopefully it worked. I don't think it's the nut or neck. It may just be the way Tele's are designed, plus the slinky strings I used to use on it. I honestly don't know what strings are shipped from the factory on Tele's, or what most people use. I suppose it varies considerably. Over the years I've used strings starting with a 9 or 10. Thought I'd try bigger strings, similar to what I use on my Epi Dot, except not a wound 3rd. Just for better finger grip. But I'm not sure Tele's were designed for bigger strings. I guess I should just try and see what it feels and sounds like. Anyway, was curious what strings a lot of you use on your Tele. I use my guitars primarily for writing and recording these days. Thank you. PS: Only 3 photos allowed, I guess? That's all I could upload.
    IMG_3926.JPG IMG_3928.JPG IMG_3931.JPG

Attached Files:

Stringbanger, Boreas and Tall-Fir like this.
  13. obcbeatle

obcbeatle TDPRI Member

It's the narrow'ist neck I've ever played, but I've been playing it since around 1976, so I guess I got used to the pulling problem on high E. It's a bit of a problem on B too, but definitely more room there. But yes, I agree the thin neck makes it very crowded, which in a way helped define my playing style over the years since it was my main playing guitar. These days I'm writing/recording more so I use the Tele, a Dot & an acoustic primarily. The Tele neck really feels narrow after recording with the acoustic & the Dot. I guess I never noticed it much back in the day because I primarily played just the Tele. Anyway, I will be taking it to a guitar repair person for some other work, and I'll talk to him about what options I might have. But I doubt there are many. Thank you for mentioning older necks could be narrow on these guitars. I didn't know that. I think mine was modded (main body) before I bought it, and I've always just assumed it was the factory neck. I'm pretty sure neck date is 1969. Thanks again for the welcomes!

Boreas likes this.
  14. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Looking at the pix, it doesn't look like you could shift the nut to the bass side - it is even MORE cramped! My suggestion is to leave it since you have played it that way for decades. But you could have another nut made with all of the strings closer together. But then, your strings will be more crowded. MAKE SURE YOU SAVE THE ORIGINAL!!

What you may want to consider is simply buying a new neck that isn't as narrow. But save the original!! I feel mine is very comfortable to play, but I never pull my strings, I only bend them upward. Good luck with your decision!

15. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Welcome. I’m thinking you have a Fender A size neck which is 1&1/2 inches at the nut and narrower than the standard B neck. Check the body end of your neck. The letter stamp will be there. If it’s A - that’s your issue.

16. strat a various

Your nut looks OK. Same specs as my '70 Strat nut. Your bridge is a bit low on the body or the saddles are just a little off ... I mean just a little bit. You need to figure how to get your high "E" string just a little bit toward the inside of the bridge... and looks like you don't have much leeway there.
    My Strat has exactly the same problem, but in my case, the ashtray holds the saddles in so the string lines up right. You could try new saddles, or maybe a spacer of some kind below the saddles pushing up on the high "E" saddle.
    Educate me ... is that bridge plated pig-iron or plated brass?

17. kbold

kbold Tele-Afflicted

Well ... that's a novel idea. I've never tried using a guitar for writing. :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Low string height can make bending more difficult.

18. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Welcome from a former Oregonian.

Loosen the neck a bit and pull upwards on it and see if the small E lines up better on the neck.

I don't see a problem at the nut end.

Those hammer style saddles may not line up the best in my opinion. Almost looks like the string spacing with that saddle arrangement might be too wide?

Maybe it's the angle of the picture. The G,B and E strings seem to be not lined up with the string through holes. Like they're being pulled at an angle towards the lower side of the bridge plate.

Wouldn't be such a problem for the G and B, but the E is definitely too close to the edge.

Maybe try a three saddle bridge with compensated saddles? Or a six saddle with a narrower string spacing? If you did that, keep the original bridge. Is that the original bridge?

I guess since you've had it since 1976, doubt you're going to part with it.

Good luck, hope you figure it out.

19. obcbeatle

obcbeatle TDPRI Member

Thanks for the reply. Not sure about the bridge plating, I don't know how to determine the plating. I don't believe the saddles are original. They may have been added years ago when I had some other work done on the guitar. I can't remember. I can't find the original bridge cover. I probably removed it in the 1970's and then lost it in one of my many moves.

20. strat a various

Research some other bridge saddles. These you have are forcing your "E" string too far toward the edge of the neck.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.