1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

hello folks..i would like to build a fuzz myself.

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by johnny k, Oct 14, 2020.

1. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

but i don't have nescerally the means to make / drill a pcb myself. This would be my first time builld ever. so what would you recommand me ?

But i want to do it for a friend. I have friends in the math departement of the high school though. So he might have acesse to those.

Let s hear it if i can drill holes myself with a chignoles it woud be goood.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  2. Vibro Chimp

Vibro Chimp TDPRI Member

Easiest way is to buy a kit from an online shop such as General Guitar Gadgets. Cheaper way is to source all the parts yourself, but it is a bit of a pain. Madbean is a good source for PCBs.
    Fuzz pedals are usually pretty simple, so that’s a good first pedal to build.

johnny k likes this.
  3. johnny k

thanks a mot

4. Splodgeness

Splodgeness Tele-Meister

johnny k likes this.
  5. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

johnny k likes this.
  6. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

"Dots and dashes"/"Manhattan style" is a method that requires only some small chips of PCB material, a bigger base of the same stuff, and some crazy glue. It's inherently a good way to get a quiet layout because of the built-in shielding of the large ground plane, which is beneficial in a high gain (fuzz) circuit.

This pic is a slightly complicated fuzz I've built, but a Fuzz Face is amazingly simple and I've used this method to make a couple of them. I highly recommend a germanium Fuzz Face, it's a classic circuit that sounds amazing, and there are a few sources for germanium transistors still.

asdfmanhattan2-jpg.jpg

Here's a Fuzz Face, Manhattan-style:
    fuzz face manhattan 2.jpg

BorderRadio and johnny k like this.
  7. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Holic

Musikding has a lot of good kit, quite cheap and fast delivery.

Je peux aider si besoin.

johnny k likes this.
  8. J-Flanders

J-Flanders Tele-Meister

Lots of options:

1) buy a pre-drilled pcb (Musikding.de for example)
    [​IMG]

2)Since the circuit is so simple: no pcb needed, just straight point to point:
    Like this:
    [​IMG]

3) or Manhattan style:
    [​IMG]

4) turret style:
    [​IMG]

5)stripboard, veroboard:
    [​IMG]

6)perfboard/protoboard:
    [​IMG]

9. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Holic

Stripboard are the ultimate PITA imo.

I had less difficulty with my classic 30 ushape turdboard than building a simple electra distorsion. And I'm quite an experienced builder now.

johnny k likes this.
  10. G&Lplayer

G&Lplayer Tele-Meister

BYOC kits and forum are a great place to start.

johnny k likes this.
  11. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

That's a NICE p2p layout!

And that circuit's actually about twice as many parts as a Fuzz Face - it would be very cool to do a FF that way!

johnny k likes this.
  12. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

yeah screw that. i just lay it out in kicad and wait a week for it to come back from china. that's how long it's going to take me to get around to building it anyway. laying out on a 100 mil grid in kicad and then printing it out and taping it to perfboard can work quickly if it's simple enough, but still a PITA. it's a good intermediary from laying out perf to starting to make real boards though, since you get gerbers out of it that can be fabricated if you want a real deal pcb.

johnny k, since you're in france just go with musikding. get a germanium fuzz face. 35 euro with pre drilled enclosure, comes with everything you need. they'll match the transistors for you, and you can always socket the transistors and put silicon ones in there if you like. you won't be disappointed (unless you don't like fuzz faces), and it should be easy enough to troubleshoot if you mess up.

https://www.musikding.de/The-Face-Germanium-Fuzz-kit

johnny k and tubegeek like this.
  13. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

Since you said it’s your time time, I’d recommend getting either a kit or a pre-made board & sourcing your own parts. Then, all you have to do is solder in the parts. Pre-made pcb & parts is a cheap way to go, a kit is slightly more expensive.

Some sources have been mentioned already. Jeds Peds is across the ditch from you too, in the UK.

https://www.jedspeds.co.uk/

And, I too think a Fuzz Face circuit would be a good choice. Both simple and classic.

Pax/
    Dean

johnny k likes this.
  14. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

johnny k likes this.
  15. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Buy a bunch of cheap fuzz pedals and solder in/out components. Make a small adjustment and take credit for a whole new sound and innovative idea that took years of R&D - like JHS.

Junco Partner and tubegeek like this.
  16. johnny k

to tell you the truth, i was more thinking of a box that i did it my self, with a soldering iron. but thanks lads.

17. highwayjones

highwayjones TDPRI Member

As mentioned, start with MadBean or GGG where there is support group, parts list, pre-drilled PCB, etc. Build a few of those and move to perfboard later where you will have all kinds of options. Start with low parts count build like a fuzz, treble booster, etc. for pre-ordered PCBs. On perfboard (tagboard, veroboard) the COT50, Echoplex Preamp, Les Lius are low part count circuits that sound amazing IMO.

johnny k likes this.
  18. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

A pre-drilled fuzz pcb can be had for as little as $5.00 usd, typical cost is $10.00 and even if you order all the other bits separately, it is normally less than a full kit, or rather less than $50-$60.
    There are cheaper kits on eBay, but I've read reviews that they are more trouble than they're worth due to shoddy instructions.

johnny k likes this.
  19. J-bass&Tele

J-bass&Tele Tele-Meister

johnny k likes this.
  20. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

silicon fuzzface on vero board is a simple place to start.... (it's where I started)

johnny k likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.