Hello Everyone!

JTaylor76

TDPRI Member
Hello Everyone! Been silently lurking for a couple months now. Really love what you guys do. Plus, it gave me the confidence to begin my own build. I've wanted to do it for quite awhile but thought it was best left to professionals.

Anyway... I just started the body (pic attached) using some scrap pieces of 2x4. Pretty proud of how it has turned out so far.

I'm planning to buy a neck for it...but I can't shake the thought that I need to build one. I know several of you have said you don't really need a template and to just draw it out. But I would feel much more comfortable with a blueprint with some dimensions. I'm also looking for the best thread or video to walk me through the process...so any help you guys can provide in directing me to the proper resources would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!! Keep up the good work.

Josh

Attachments

• 20210923_123012.jpg
    20210923_123012.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 56

Bob J

Tele-Holic
Welcome

you can do it!

I'm currently on my 2nd and 3rd necks, just don’t be cheap and do things the hard way (like me). Buy (don’t make) your truss rod, and it’s ok to buy a preslotted and radiused fretboard (even some of the best builders on this forum do).

Like your repurposed lumber, that’s been my go-to as well.

Slowtwitch

Tele-Holic
Welcome! That body looks great so far.

First gain confidence by finishing the body.

But when I started I also only planned a body build and buying an neck, but after seeing how well it turned out, I decided I just had to try make a neck.

I did, and never looked back

Check out Fletcher's Youtube channel on making a strat neck (6 parts). Very well documented series on every step in making a neck with a rosewood board.

That, Guitarbuilder's thread, and read thru a few threads of actual builds, everyone does it slightly differently.

And you really don't need all those fancy neck building tools, def not for your first neck, like you kan make your own sanding beam, use a small triangle file for all the filing on frets,etc

ghostchord

Tele-Holic
Nice body!

The nice thing about bolt on necks is that they can be swapped. You can buy a neck and then make your own neck later. I bought a neck for my first body and built another body for my first neck. Now another body and neck. Too many guitars is becoming the problem.

Template for the neck? You could make one. Print a neck drawing to scale (stitching pages together if needed) and you can use it to start. I think the plans pinned to the forum's main page include neck drawings if I recall correctly. But otherwise drawings for all the different kinds of Fender necks (including some original Fender drawings) are easily found on Google.

A body, especially a Tele body, is IMO easier to make compared to a neck. Also depends on what tools you have and/or have access to? There are plenty of good videos on the process. I'd add Maximum Guitar Work's channel to the recommendations, he has a complete Tele build series and knows his stuff. Different people take slightly different approaches and there is some incredible knowledge in this forum as well.

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
artists are always welcome , i can never get enough of the creative mind at work :lol:

have fun , post pics , ask questions!
join in the lunacy theres always room at the trough!

JTaylor76

TDPRI Member
Okay, gonna start working on the neck today. What dimensions do you all typically go with for your neck blanks?

I'm going to put off routing the neck pocket on the body until I see how the neck turns out. That way if it ends up a disaster, I can still order a neck. I just really feel like I want that stripy-ness on the back of the neck matching the body. The plan right now is for the fret board to be ebony.

JTaylor76

TDPRI Member
Another question: (I think I'll keep all my questions on my own thread so as not to clog up the board). Been pretty hard on my hands over the years and my left hand cramps when I play. Most recently, a month ago I tried to cut my thumb off at the base resulting in 8 stitches...still barely have feeling in it. I think a thicker neck would help. How thick is too thick and what's the thickest any of you have built?

Last edited:

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I haven't used a low profile one, but I've used most of the regular hotrods. One easy slot is made 7/16" deep, as opposed to the other import types which have more fiddling around with a chisel with the nut area required.

If you were doing a thin neck then maybe the low profile one would be handy, but they are only 1/32" shallower IIRC. The slotted nut is good for a Fender look, I use the Allen screw one most of the time when I spring for a real hotrod.

This one is popular here too...more fiddling with a chisel though.

TWO WAY OR TWO COURSE GUITAR TRUSS ROD 17 1/4 inches | eBay

One thing to note is that some of these import rods are not really double action. They are compression. If the end is welded...it'll just compress when you tighten the nut. They call the releasing of the compression...the other action. Don't be fooled. You want threaded blocks at each end....like a hotrod....for true double action.

Last edited:

epizootics

Tele-Meister
Another question: (I think I'll keep all my questions on my own thread so as not to clog up the board). Been pretty hard on my hands over the years and my left hand cramps when I play. Most recently, a month ago I tried to cut my thumb off at the base resulting in 8 stitches...still barely have feeling in it. I think a thicker neck would help. How thick is too thick and what's the thickest any of you have built?

First of all, welcome to the board! Think of TDPRI as the largest book ever written on building guitars, in which you get to ask questions to the writers whenever you want to go to off the beaten path. Don't bother with the house search engine, google ' site:tdpri.com *whatever question you may have* ' and the answers will pop up.

Regarding thumb injury & neck profiles...A few years back I donated a 1/4" of flesh off the tip of my left thumb to a nice table saw. Most of it grew back but I have no sensation there. That and the fact I have long-ish hands makes it more comfortable for me to play thicker necks.

My favorite profile is about 0.906" (23mm) at the first fret tapering up to a full inch at the 12th fret. There are thicker necks out there but this one works for me.

JTaylor76

TDPRI Member
Three questions this time.

First, what is the radius at the heel (Tele neck) I'm assuming based on the given dimensions it it .250, but there isn't a radius call-out so I wanted to check with you all to confirm.

Second, I'm planning to do standard Tele pickups..(although the EMG-T active pickups look pretty sweet!). So, I'm looking for your recommendations. One requirement is that I want a black cover for the neck pickup.

Lastly, Do the youth guitars take a smaller/narrower pickup? Or will standard size work?

As always, I appreciate your advice!

Josh

Last edited:

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Three questions this time.

First, what is the radius at the heel (Tele neck) I'm assuming based on the given dimensions it it .250, but there isn't a radius call-out so I wanted to check with you all to confirm.

Second, I'm planning to do standard Tele pickups..(although the EMG-T active pickups look pretty sweet!). So, I'm looking for your recommendations. One requirement is that I want a black cover for the neck pickup.

Lastly, Do the youth guitars take a smaller/narrower pickup? Or will standard size work?

As always, I appreciate your advice!

Josh

tele  neck.png

Use a bar magnet pickup if you are concerned with strings over pole pieces.

Seymour Duncan STHR-1n Hot Rails Neck Tele Single Coil Sized Humbucker Pickup - Black | Sweetwater