Hello Brothers & Sisters

BarnKat

TDPRI Member
I'm from a wooded stretch of hills in rural Kentucky, where the bluegrass region and mountains come together.
Being somewhat isolated (especially during the pandemic) I've been spending more time learning to play my Telecaster. I've had a P-bass for about 20 years and got into it, off and on, but realized what I wanted to express was more in the range of the human voice, with a little more timing leeway and dynamic freedom. Keeping time with my bass is very enjoyable, but I wanted more. I need to tell a story with my instrument. I still really dig the bass, but I just needed a new perspective.
I retired 6 years ago and have been tending to my small farm and woods, building some trails to hike with my dogs, raising vegetables and flowers, etc.

I'm sorry, I'm starting to ramble here... so I do have some mild dementia and osteoarthritis, I forget things easily and my thumbs, shoulder and left sacroiliac joint hurt like h*** sometimes, but I hammer away at my guitar. I've been at it now for about a year and a half. It really satisfies me. I like seeing the progress, as slow as it may be... sometimes I feel I'm kinda old to be starting this, but what the heck, it beats sitting in front of a screen all day.
I decided to join this forum because of the positive interaction and helpful suggestions and support I've seen here.
I just hope I can be of some value here as well, someday.
Once again, hello brothers & sisters!
Peace to all.

DLReed

Tele-Holic
Welcome! After having played bass for years, guitar should be a natural transition and an activity to enjoy for years to come.
What kind of dogs do you have?

QuantumSchema

TDPRI Member
I'm from a wooded stretch of hills in rural Kentucky, where the bluegrass region and mountains come together.
Being somewhat isolated (especially during the pandemic) I've been spending more time learning to play my Telecaster. I've had a P-bass for about 20 years and got into it, off and on, but realized what I wanted to express was more in the range of the human voice, with a little more timing leeway and dynamic freedom. Keeping time with my bass is very enjoyable, but I wanted more. I need to tell a story with my instrument. I still really dig the bass, but I just needed a new perspective.
I retired 6 years ago and have been tending to my small farm and woods, building some trails to hike with my dogs, raising vegetables and flowers, etc.

I'm sorry, I'm starting to ramble here... so I do have some mild dementia and osteoarthritis, I forget things easily and my thumbs, shoulder and left sacroiliac joint hurt like h*** sometimes, but I hammer away at my guitar. I've been at it now for about a year and a half. It really satisfies me. I like seeing the progress, as slow as it may be... sometimes I feel I'm kinda old to be starting this, but what the heck, it beats sitting in front of a screen all day.
I decided to join this forum because of the positive interaction and helpful suggestions and support I've seen here.
I just hope I can be of some value here as well, someday.
Once again, hello brothers & sisters!
Peace to all.

Welcome! I always thought that music, whether playing or listening, helps sooth the mind, body, & soul. You're never too old for any of that. Looking forward to hearing your progress too! Cheers!!

arlum

Tele-Afflicted
Platinum Supporter
A huge welcome and congratulations on your 6th year of retirement. It sounds like you're right where you want to be. A nice Telecaster makes a wonderful partner whether your trying to work something out, share what's going on in your head or just burning time in an enjoyable way. You mentioned the human voice range. Do you sing along when you're playing or do you write songs?

Rick

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Welcome from Texas by a fellow "69'er" @BarnKat.
As others have already mentioned, we need pictures to bond.....pics of guitars, basses, dogs, scenery, even breakfast every now and then. And remember....there are NO dumb questions. (although we will have plenty of dumb answers) ;););)

BarnKat

TDPRI Member
Welcome to the fold. We need guitar pics to validate your membership.

Sb
Welcome! After having played bass for years, guitar should be a natural transition and an activity to enjoy for years to come.

Thank you, DLReed, the transition is relatively easy, chords were difficult at first. The good thing is my picking hand is more adept at using my fingers, except I need to get used to the string spacing. I'm still trying to decide whether I like the sound and feel of a pick, fingers or a hybrid better. I like the freedom of choice, though. Depends on what and how I'm trying to say what I hear in my head.

I misspoke when I said "dogs"... sadly Hoss passed away 6 months ago and I still feel he is here with me. I slip up on the plural every time. Hoss a Great Pyrenees, is in the background. Corri, is in the foreground, she is a Great Pyrenees/Lab mix. She is 12 and a half years old and still gets out and hikes a few miles with me everyday.
It's a long story about how Hoss came into my life. I might go into more detail someday. I still miss him deeply. Always will.

_DSC4900.jpg

Old Plank

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Welcome! Enjoy keepin' on with the 6-string. I drove thru Kentucky last August and it's a beautiful place!