1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Hello Beautifuls!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by MilwMark, Mar 8, 2021.

1. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

F3A05087-F6E1-4413-AD54-59CEC882C053.jpeg

And where have you been all my life?

I’m a “less is more” guy. 2 knobs on the CE-2. Perfect. 2 knobs on the OD250. Perfect.

Now I learn Boss had a 2 knob OD? Done. Found a guy who had 2 and cut a nice deal.

The slightly more beat up one has a brighter LED with my 9v micro brick so that’s going on the board.

I was expecting a SD1 with no tone knob but it sounds and feels a bit different. Bit more brash? Bit more lively? Maybe slightly less midrange, though I wouldn’t swear to that.

Will test at rehearsal Wed. Hope it will cut through. Think there’s enough bass cut to do so.

Fun!

2. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Congrats! Happy NPD. Could the reason for the dimmer LED be that it requires the older ACA adapter? It’s my understanding that those had 12v coming into the jack which was internally brought down to 9 volts. You might already know this, but in case anyone else is having an issue with an older Boss pedal the following is a good read...https://mojostompboxes.com/blogs/ar...ing-your-old-boss-pedal-aca-vs-psa-simplified

telemnemonics, MilwMark and Flip G like this.
  3. MilwMark

I'm sure that's the reason. Same happens with my OD2. Because I'm a smidge OCD maybe I need two of everything.

With the OD1 and the OD2 units, one of each has a slightly brighter LED on iso 9v power. Weird. But makes it easy for me to decide which of each is the "live" board pedal and which is the "home". Ha.

Flip G and RetroTeleRod like this.
  4. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I've always wanted to try one of these in person, but the prices are nuts right now.

5. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

I never knew about the power supply difference until I traded for an older SD-1 a while back that calls for the ACA adapter. Since I use a One Spot to power everything it gets what it needs and works just fine. I love Boss pedals!

MilwMark likes this.
  6. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

Congrats on Twins!!! Always unexpected and twice the fun!!!

ponce and MilwMark like this.
  7. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

The entire lack of the tone circuit from the SD-1 is responsible for the more liveliness and potentially less midrange emphasis. There's just a single hardwired lowpass filter in the OD-1 that rolls off treble (at 6dB/octave) above a cutoff freq. of ~890Hz.

The SD-1 has two hardwired lowpass filters, and then the tone circuit itself is a combo of lowpass or highpass filter, depending on where the knob is set.

Almost forgot - the input cap to the 1st gain stage in the OD-1 is significantly smaller than what you have in the SD-1. That makes it a highpass filter (removes more bass) with a bit of a higher cutoff freq of ~340Hz in the OD-1, vs. ~90Hz in the SD-1. So the OD-1 should be a bit tighter and brighter as a result.

The OD-1 is proof positive (IMO) that if an OD circuit (using actual soft clipping) is reasonably well designed, a tone control (that really just pads the treble) isn't absolutely necessary.

8. Flip G

Flip G Tele-Meister

What?! Where's the cut/boost knob? Where's the blend knob? Where are the send/return outputs? Regen? Depth? Crate size? Mode? Ambiance? Texture? Resonance? Brightness? Anything?!

What're you possibly going to do with all that free time now that won't be spent dialing in tones? :)

NWinther, Piotr, bluesholyman and 2 others like this.
  9. MilwMark

We've used the break from shows to good writing effect. That's for sure. Last I looked at the board during (masked) rehearsal, I think we had 9-10 strong new ones. Almost ready to record the follow up to this guy. https://floormodel.bandcamp.com/ (Which, incidentally, I recorded NO pedals - except for some delay on slide/lap steel parts - into the studio's SFDR and retracked into their early JCM800 2x12 combo.)

Flip G likes this.
  10. MilwMark

Cool! I have no basis for this. And, don't get me wrong - often what you get in the trade-off is more than worth it. But I always feel in pedals that EQ or extra EQ "takes away" signal somehow. There is probably no basis for this whatsoever and I am probably conflating the tone knob on a guitar (which does "take away" signal - louder and rawer if you take it out) in a way that is not helpful. I just want fewer controls that I have to label with white gaffe tape and a black sharpie, because I can't see what knobs do what standing up in a dark rehearsal room or bright stage! :lol:

telemnemonics likes this.
  11. Flip G

Flip G Tele-Meister

Great album, Slightly Damaged!

"When I take a dump, I take a dump!" "Twitter's for twats!"

Very rousing, roguish, and rowdy.

I listened to it at full volume while vacuuming my basement for the first time in seven years, which is how I imagine you pictured your Mill-Raukeee album being dug!!! :cool:

BTW, I keep looking for excuses to interrupt cleaning the basement today, which is why every fifteen minutes or so I pop in.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    MilwMark likes this.
  12. MilwMark

Perfect.

Flip G likes this.
  13. JoeNeri

JoeNeri Friend of Leo's

Congrats! I love pedals that have an attitude, and the OD-1 certainly has one.

MilwMark and Flip G like this.
  14. 11 Gauge

No - you're actually spot-on. Most of these EQ filters are passive, meaning that they literally do take away. Whatever the cutoff freq. is, everything literally gets rolled off at 6dB/octave slope.

In the case of the SD-1, the multiple instances of lowpass filters could even be described as 'two-pole' or 'three-pole', with each one individually attenuating at 6dB/octave, so then a two-pole would be 12dB/octave, and a three-pole would be 18dB/octave.

It's really no different than if you had multiple tone controls in you guitar, with them all wired in series. Really the only difference is that the cutoff frequency is different for the three lowpass filters in the SD-1. The first is at ~885Hz, the second is at ~590Hz (only when the tone control is rolled mostly counterclockwise), and the third is at ~1.6KHz.

Maybe a better comparison would be the Rat's tone control - it's just a singular lowpass filter. It's really the only thing in the circuit that affects how little or much treble gets through. It's just one step more crude in the OD-1, in that it's not adjustable.

telemnemonics and MilwMark like this.
  15. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Holic

I do like a beautiful pair of... pedals.

16. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Wasn't a different IC used on the early OD-1's before the 4558 was adopted? Any other significant differences?

17. 11 Gauge

It looks like '77-'78 used either a RC3403D or uPC4741C 14-pin quad op amp.
    • RC3403D slew rate: 1.2V/uS (that's actually for the Fairchild RC3403A and RC3403AN, as I couldn't find a datasheet for the discontinued Raytheon RC3403D)
    • uPC4741C slew rate: 1.6V/uS
    ...and apparently, the two other op amp portions were used for the input and output buffers.

According to analogman, regarding older vs. newer, he said "the main difference was capacitors, several smaller value capacitors were used, sucking away low end and making a thin tone" with later OD-1s.

So that would have to be the highpass filters in the circuit. Going by the schematic, anything that constitutes a highpass filter matches what you see in the SD-1, except for the input cap to the first gain stage. Other than that, IDK why Boss would go with anything different.

AM also said that once the cap values were 'corrected' that the old and new sounded very similar, but he seemed to conclude that the old quad op amp was a necessity for best sonics. My guess is that they must have had a typical slew rate that would be on the low side of what a 4558 has. I'd personally just try subbing like a LM1458 in one with a DIP8 (4558) op amp, if someone really felt compelled to change it out.

18. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I do have an irrational preference for less knobs, thinking I hear “more”.

I bid on one of those OD-1 pedals but they command collector money.
    Really just curious as I never heard one but have a thing for early MIJ Boss, again irrational but I like them.
    Was the OD -1 ever made in Taiwan?

I’d think both of these would require the old 12v adapter so the LED brightness would not be related to supply voltage?

19. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Oh my! Long dash boss!

20. 11 Gauge

According to this page - https://mojostompboxes.com/blogs/archive/boss-od-1-over-drive - it was never really MIT:

"While there is technically no OD-1's that were made in Taiwan, the last PCB's are printed with Made in Taiwan on the bottom. This was during a transitional period that Boss started shifting their production to Taiwan, with pedals being started there before being shipped to Japan for assembly and completion. These PCB's seem to be used from 1983 onwards."

That's a cool little page for anyone interested in the history of the OD-1, too.

telemnemonics likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.