1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Hello! and recommendation request: American Performer Hum or Godin Stadium ‘59

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by tusitala, May 13, 2020.

1. tusitala

tusitala TDPRI Member

Hi all, first post here and freshly registered
    (and what am I doing here??? I’m actually a bass player ahah!)

I’m looking into buying my first electric guitar, as as I said I’m a bass player and I only have an acoustic, but I’ve been playing more and more during the lockdown and really having so much fun with the guitar.

I love Teles as an outsider, always loved playing with guitarists that play them, and some of my favourite players use them (Bill Frisell, Robben Ford, Julian Lage...Jeff Buckley!).

I prefer alder and rosewood on my basses (precision basses) so I would want to stick a similar combination on guitar as well, and I‘ve narrowed the research to these two models that are similarly priced and specced:

- Fender American Performer Hum Seafoam Green

- Godin Stadium ‘59 in Desert Green (doesn’t have alder but basswood though)

The hum on the neck appeals to me for warmer and darker clean sounds, but I may be mistaken.

The reason I’m considering Godin is they tend to make amazingly well made and valuable instruments in my experience, and my acoustic is a Seagull (their sub brand) and I really like that guitar.

I would love to find a wide-ish neck as it’s more comfortable to me coming from bass, and that’s one of the reasons I love my Seagull (its nut width is 1.80!)

Which of the two guitars would you recommend?

Of course the best option would be to go to a shop and try one, but unfortunately that’s not possible at the moment.

Thanks for your help!

Best regards

-t

Last edited: May 13, 2020
    telestratosonic likes this.
  2. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Holic

I have 3 Godin's and a Seagull so its a no brainer which way I'd lean here. In case your not aware all Godin solid body electrics are assembled in Berlin NH. USA. Of my 3 which are solid bodies I cant find a flaw with them in any regard. Beautiful guitars. Session Custom TP, XTSA and a Freeway Classic. I'm kind of a purveyor of under the radar and oddball guitars so Godin is way up there on my list.

telestratosonic and nicknklv like this.
  3. nicknklv

nicknklv Tele-Meister

I vote Godin! I tried the Stadium 59 in green about a year ago, and I still remember that guitar! It is a great instrument, and imo the build quality is about the same, I'd venture to give a slight advantage to the Godin. With performers it's been 50/50 for me.

telestratosonic likes this.
  4. tusitala

tusitala TDPRI Member

Thanks for your reply! And this confirms my appreciation for Godin instruments in general...

If you had the chance to try both, what would say about the neck? Any noticeable difference between the two? As I said I'm on a quest to find a slightly larger neck width if possible. Chunky would be nice as well

And any difference between the traditional alder and the Canadian basswood?

Thanks again!

Best
    -t

nicknklv likes this.
  5. tusitala

tusitala TDPRI Member

by 50/50 do you mean "hit or miss" from one to another in the same series?

nicknklv likes this.
  6. nicknklv

nicknklv Tele-Meister

Exactly, the first one I tried was amazing, I must have played it for an hour at the store that day. So I started looking into the series, but the other units I've tried (with the same specs) often felt lackluster. And as I tried more of them, I liked the pickups less and less.
    In that department, I was much happier with the Godin, though I only played it once. They're not easy to come by in Europe. I really liked the combination of their own bridge pickup and the Seymour Duncan neck. That HDR switch can also be quite useful sonically.

The neck on the Godin is wider at 42.48mm while the Performer is 42mm.
    In terms of depth, they're the same depth at the first fret @0.820", while the Performer might be slightly "chunkier" at the 12th fret @ 0.920"; the Godin is 0.900" @ 12th. Given the tolerance of these Fenders, I'd say they'd be virtually identical.
    The other bit that's different is the neck radius, which is flatter on the Godin (12" vs the 9.5" on the Performer).

I wouldn't think much of the wood in this case, Basswood is not bad at all IMO. My basswood strat copy sings beautifully.

Hope this helps! :)

7. tusitala

tusitala TDPRI Member

Thanks a lot!

I thought the neck on the Fender was wider than the Godin, at least spec-wise, it should be the other way around: Godin at 1.65" and Fender at 1.685"

But I wanted to ask about some real life "feel" experience, as all those numbers might not make a huge difference in the real world.

8. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Holic

I am also a Godin owner. I own the Session Custom which was the precursor to the Stadium, and a couple Progressions. I would not consider the necks chunky though, but they are the perfect fit for me. More like a Fender modern C with a flatter radius. Build quality is very good. And the basswood they use is called laurentian basswood and not the same as the soft lightweight basswood used on a lot of imports.

Just_Guild1955 likes this.
  9. tusitala

tusitala TDPRI Member

Thanks!

10. tusitala

tusitala TDPRI Member

What didn't you like about the Fender pickups?

Is the Godin hum bucker splittable? I can't understand if that's possible with the selector or not...and does the guitar work fully passive without the HDR in case I don't have a battery?

Thanks again!
    -t

11. UPtele

UPtele Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I dont have any experience with the godin myself tho

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 14, 2020
    tusitala likes this.
  12. Just_Guild1955

Just_Guild1955 TDPRI Member

I'm a big fan of Godin guitars and also have three Telecasters, so I don't think I'm too biased!

tusitala likes this.
  13. Just_Guild1955

Just_Guild1955 TDPRI Member

As a note of trivia, Robert Godin when starting out fabricated necks for Fender.

olaftheholy and tusitala like this.
  14. tusitala

tusitala TDPRI Member

So what would your suggestion be given your experience?

15. nicknklv

nicknklv Tele-Meister

I didn't have the opportunity to A-B them, but I'll put it like this. Warning, highly biased emotional experiences to follow!

When I picked up the Godin, it felt amazing. It felt like a really high-quality instrument and I thought the price was much higher. It played fantastic, it looked really cool (it was the custom in Seafoam green) and I appreciated their take on a tele, and the pickups really inspiring.

The first Perf Tele I played was great. THAT particular one was awesome, as said, I played it for a long time and it sounded great. Note this was the SS version, not with the Humbucker in the neck. As I tested others though I felt that the tone was a bit clanky, as if it didn't bring out the voice of the guitar. Then I also noticed some imperfections that you wouldnt typically expect on MIA Fenders, notably some sharp frets. Can't comment on that for the Godin.

I've also found myself checking up on those Godin's every now and then, while I'd rather get a top-notch Mex Fender than an AmPerf. My subjective preference, they also have better pups in general. Got a Vintera 50s Mod Tele FWIW.

So all in all, the Godin got me more excited and I'd still consider getting one at some point. Hope I was able to help you out with my ramblings. :)

telestratosonic and tusitala like this.
  16. tusitala

tusitala TDPRI Member

You have, thanks!!

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  17. tusitala

tusitala TDPRI Member

unrelated to the original topic but still related to my quest for a guitar. Very different I know, but has anyone ever had an experience with PRS SE guitars?

18. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Holic

Godin, looks it might fare well in a coffee bar .... lounge ?:D

19. tusitala

tusitala TDPRI Member

?

20. tusitala

tusitala TDPRI Member

Hi!
    I went for the Godin Stadium '59 in the end! :)
    I can't wait to receive it in a few days and start playing it!

nicknklv, telestratosonic and Durtdog like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.