Helix

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by stlramman, Jan 30, 2019.

1. stlramman

stlramman TDPRI Member

Anyone here using the line-6 Helix? I've been playing lead/electric guitar for my Church worship team for 3 years. About 2 years ago the Music Pastor bought me a used HD/400 Pod. I have been thinking about purchasing the Helix for myself it's not something that would be in the Church budget so it would be a personal expense which I am fine with. Just wondering if anyone has switched to this and if they think it was worth it?(silent stage) Another question I have is when I look for them online I find there are 2 different ones with about a $500.00 price difference the Helix floorboard dual audio engine guitar processor goes for about $1600.00 while the Helix LT Modeling electric guitar processor goes for about $1100.00 anyone experienced enough to know how much I'd be missing out on if I went the cheaper route? Thanks for any input & God bless

Danjabellza likes this.
  2. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

I just started using the HX stomp which is beyond suitable for my needs, especially if you have pedals you use or want to use. The LT is exactly the same as the full helix floor, except no digital scribble strips over the footswitches and a few less input/output options.

The stomp new is right at the $600 mark. And has all the exact same amp, Cab, and effects as the bigger brothers, just less options for in/outputs and fewer things you can run at one time.

stlramman likes this.
  3. Smokin OP

Smokin OP Tele-Holic

I've been using the Helix for about 8 months, mostly at church since I don't play out much anymore. Prior to the Helix I bought a used HD500 that replaced a used POD LiveXT. Each one was an improvement over the previous one. For my needs the Helix works great, sounds good & the interface is much simpler than the 500 & POD. We have a silent stage & IEM's, which took this old tube amp guy a bit to get used to but the simple setups & convenience makes it worth it.

I have the floor unit, which I got a great deal on new but I wouldn't have any trouble with the LT as they have the same processors & sounds. I might have chosen the Stomp over them if it had been available since I usually just get a good amp sound out of the unit & use the effects just like I had a separate pedalboard. Another guy on our worship team likes doing all of the ethereal/ambient stuff on his Helix but it's not my thing. If you do decide on the floor or the LT, also budget for a case. L6 sells one for $150.00, which is kinda pricey but is a great unit. Cheaper cases can be found also. Have fun & God bless!

stlramman likes this.
  4. SnowStorm

SnowStorm Tele-Meister

I would say - go for it. I picked up the Helix LT used from GuitarCenter at a really good price. I sold a bunch of gear and then added cash and have been very pleased. I see a used model at GC (Ohio) for $850 right now - that is a bit more than mine, but still pretty good. If price is a concern, the HX Stomp looks great. You don't get as many pedals on each chain, but you can just setup a new patch to swap out pedals.

The tones are excellent and the ease of use is great. I can dial in any tones I need very quickly. I have a basic setup of Compressor, Klon, Timmy, AMP, CAB, Tap Delay 1/4, Boss DM2 D1/8, Room Rvb, Washy Big-verb, Studio Comp. I switch out the AMP and CABs on this patch and am able to switch between a real chimy AC30 (Essex drive), a fatter AC30 (AC Fawn) and a full Dumble (Litigator). The pedals are basically the same on each of the three patches and I can quickly setup for most any church sound.

At home, I have two studio monitors with 5" drivers. I take one (or sometimes both) in with me when I play. I split the left out (one to house and the other to my studio monitor) and the right to my other studio monitor. One monitor sits on the ground in front of me angled and aimed back into my face. The other monitor is back behind to the side and towards the drummer. This gives me a nice balanced sound to myself and other other musicians (as there is independent volume on the monitors). Then the house mix can be controlled to add a little bit of the guitar to the congregation. We don't have a silent stage, but I do have good control to keep my volume in check (or go loud if available). Go for it - rock the Helix. I figured that my kids are playing with our family now, so I should get the model that would give us the best experience and not wait until later as they would be all grown up. One of the best moves. We all have a great time playing (and we play more).

stlramman likes this.
  5. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Tele-Holic

i use the helix exclusively and i will never own another amp or pedal. it does everything you could want and then some.

i started out with the LT and upgraded to the floor model. you wont be missing much. i dont even find myself needing the extra two foot switches that came with the upgrade. i mainly like the additional 1/4 outs for at home use. its also built a little more rugged than the LT.

stlramman likes this.
  6. stlramman

stlramman TDPRI Member

Thanks to all for the input! Ordered my Helix today and it comes w/ a free backpack! Can't wait for it to get here!

Smokin OP likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.