1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Helix, whos made the leap?

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by Scaper2014, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Scaper2014

Scaper2014 Tele-Meister

Always contemplating making the Jump. Seems like it could potentially be the future. Am looking at the helix in a worship setting

Whos made the jump and sold off their pedalboards and/or amps?

2. dmitri

dmitri Tele-Holic

Not I. Nice concept but I like the tactile responsiveness of pedals and amps, and also, since we don't have a good monitor system, it's not really practical for me. We use amps on stage for personal monitoring and so everyone else on stage can hear us. It gets a bit loud. I'd need to invest in an FRFR setup too... and with a DR, a Mustang III, and a handful of boutique pedals, I don't really see what it offers that makes it worthwhile in my situation. For some folks, though, I'm sure it's a great thing and well worth it.

3. tacoma87

tacoma87 TDPRI Member

I picked up a Kemper a couple months ago. Used they're slightly more expensive than a new Helix.

With that said, while I'm still getting used to it, it's opened up a lot of new capabilities. Probably has some of the best tones I've gotten, and as long as your pickups aren't super hot, the amps respond very well and realistically. It also gives me access to amps like Dumble, Fuchs, /13, or Dr Z that would be well outside of my price range.

The only downside is that you do want to buy a midi controller for expression/stomp boxes (wouldn't be an issue with the Helix), but it's not a 100% necessity to start off.

We had some real issues with monitors and too much stage volume.. the Kemper has a return XLR input where I can have a monitor signal come back into the unit and listen through IEMs out of the headphone front jack.

The biggest thing I was looking for was the experience to be able to plug any guitar in, and with minimal tweaking, get a good tone. I had tried the Pod HD500x and the Firehawk and felt that after two days of tweaking, I still didn't have a good sound. The Kemper was completely different.

And, there's no doubt that it's expensive, but when I calculated the pedals/amps I could sell because I didn't need them anymore, it came out pretty even.

4. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

I now own a T.C. Nova System and a nice archtop in place of the pedals.
    There are positives and negatives I could give, but, in the end... I sound the same.

5. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Tele-Holic

The other guitarist at church uses a Helix. His tone is great for the most part. He got a high and mid gain tones that both sound great and also a decent clean tone every once in a while. But I've yet to be impressed with any of low gain sorta-breaking up sound. But that's ok, maybe just a few tweaks that he hasn't gotten the chance to try out yet.

What gets me is that he still uses an El Capistan and a Blue Sky for delay/reverb. When I asked him why, he said that he can't get the same sound that he gets from both pedals from the Helix ... there goes my aspiration of actually getting one :)

6. Scaper2014

Scaper2014 Tele-Meister

Lol well that kinda seems pointless to keep the delay/reverb! if it can't achieve those theres not much point! i need to travel to try one hands on in a store!

7. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Tele-Holic

Tell me about it :)

Even the hands-on might not be enough to explore the unit though. At least in my experience with PODs, Tonelabs, GTs & DG units that I've used in the past, these type of devices needs at least a week of constant use to be able to say yay/nay.

islander likes this.
  8. islander

islander Tele-Meister

+1
    My rule of thumb. The more it does, the more time it takes to learn/ get tone.
    Though there are exceptions. They are rare.

9. Wound3rd

Wound3rd Tele-Meister

I will stick with my HD500X. I'm closer to the end of my career than the beginning and I'm pretty happy with what the HD gives me. No point in investing in something I don't really need, especially for 4 songs per week.

Scaper2014 likes this.
  10. DucksEliminated

DucksEliminated Tele-Meister

Never heard of this system before what is it?

11. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Tele-Holic

12. ericmichel

ericmichel Tele-Meister

I was on tour in eastern europe this summer and most of the time the backline amps were terrible.As most of us on this forum I was in the "can't beat a tube amp"camp.analog all the way but even tube amps can be bad and the bunch of pedals I plugged in didn't do any better.Back home I was determined to figure out what I could do for good tone consistency no matter what the backline is.the modelers I had tried so far always felt sterile.Anyway back to my local music shop I tried the helix and was impressed from the first note.Hard to explain but that was a feel thing;this thing was dynamic,very responsive to attack.I was blown away.On top of it i could plug in my acoustic and my mandolin.I just needed one line to the PA instead of three.
    This thing is, I got as close as I can get to my dream tone at home but most important on any stage;zero noise,no struggle with bad house power...so far more than satisfied.

callasabra likes this.
  13. Scaper2014

Scaper2014 Tele-Meister

Thanks for this. Ultimately I think, I need to purchase this online have a fiddle at home and if I like it keep it, If not refund it. its the only way i'm going to know how it plays with my studio monitors/amps and PA setup at church. :D

ericmichel likes this.
  14. Scaper2014

Scaper2014 Tele-Meister

Well after pondering the helix, boss have just announced the launch of the Boss GT-1 Multi effects. Looks exactly what I have been after and priced at £165 its priced before I make some crazy leap into a £1200 helix. I already own the RV-6 and DD-500 which for me are phenominal. I could likely use these alongside the GT-1. I think this is now my next step. Seems ideal for my home recording and for easy church setup when I only want that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.