1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Helix, HX Stomp, and Pod Go get upgrades...and they're good

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Cosmic Cowboy, Apr 16, 2021.

1. Cosmic Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy Tele-Meister

I have been a longtime Helix and line 6 user. I currently own a Helix Floor and last year bought a Pod Go that until this update I was really not thrilled with.

The Helix has been the main course of my live church service sound for about 4-5 years. I am really happy with it...the amount of tones, stomp-boxes, effects, amps, etc has really made it simple to go from song to song (using completely different sounds, amps, and effects) on the fly, and carry a professional tone that really stands up in a mix.

Its been a great unit and one I lean heavily on. If you have a sound guy you get along with, as to not fight the PA, it's a life-changing tool. And the continual updates make it better all the time. Update 3.1 came out yesterday and wow. The rocker-verb is killer...though I don't know that I would use a driven Orange mod for church.

The Pod Go was a snap purchase decision as to not beat on my Helix so much. I figured, I could use a scaled down modeler and it would be smaller, lighter, and really didn't care about it getting the mileage.

Though it uses the Helix 'engine', I found that their was just too much 'digital artifact' and 'chirp' in many of the settings. The single signal path didn't really bother me, I figured for $450, why not?

Well update 1.21 hit last Friday, and man...what a difference. They've ironed out the digital signal problems and added a few goodies. The American Princess (Fender Princeton) model has become a Helix fave and now its on the Pod Go, the acoustic sim and bunch of new fuzzes.

Long story short, these digital modelers are very good and getting better all the time.

If you own one, download the new updates, if you've been on the fence, I would go ahead a get one. You won't be dissapointed.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  2. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

What? No! That's impossible! I used a digital modeler in 1967 and it was terrible, so they all have to be terrible forever!

Now, where's that thing I use for amplification? Oh, there it is:
    megaphone.jpg

Kids these days with their new-fangled electronic amplifiers... It's a fad, I tell ya!

(Big :) for the humor-impaired.)

3. 7171551

7171551 Tele-Afflicted

I've got a podgo- thanks for the headsup:)

Cosmic Cowboy likes this.
  4. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Holic

Man.. I wish I could say that!! I am more of a "for 50 bucks, why not" kinda guy.

5. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

I bought into the Helix platform about 3 years ago... and this is the first update that doesn't have anything that gets me very excited.
    ... and I'M FINE WITH THAT!
    • The reverb enthusiasts get a couple new reverbs
    • The delay enthusiasts get a new delay
    • The Orange Rocker is a good addition... even if I don't think I'll ever use it
    • A new RAT might interest me... and I love the name they gave it (Ratatouille)
    • Any bug fixes and audio improvements are always a positive... whether I notice them or not.
    Now... when an update gives me improved cab control (eg: mic movement from center to edge in particular) I'll get excited once again ;)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  6. Cosmic Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy Tele-Meister

There's alot of people that are firmly in the digital camp or the analog. I am both.

The way I explain it to the 'never modeler' folks is...Imagine your at a studio and you have 30 amp heads, 30 cabs and 20 mics on a shelf. You can pick the right one (or 2 for stereo) for each song...Now imagine I can do that same thing between songs or even use snapshots for solos in one touch of the foot, and its already dialed in and sounds (at least in the mix) like a studio captured recording

That usually makes em scratch their head.

7. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

With all due respect, it’s hard to make such a definitive statement.
    I had a Helix couple years ago. I loved it at first but then experienced the same disappointment I always experience with modelers. It just wasn’t for me.
    I am sure it works great in many settings and many are thrilled by it. I have no doubt that the software is getting better as well.
    Still, it will be a while before I jump back into modeling.

northernguitar likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.