1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Heit Deluxe Pick-Ups

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by teleforman, Dec 21, 2020.

1. teleforman

teleforman TDPRI Member

Hey there TDPRI crew. I nabbed a late 60's Heit Deluxe for a song so now I need to figure it out. Does anyone know what the pickups are? Humbuckers, Single coil, something else? Anyone have any value guestimates on this thing? It is in good shape and plays, I guess, as it should.

Attached Files:

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Cheap Japanese import...single coils. The bridge assures that it will not/cannot intonate accurately. Sometimes odd Japanese pickups have a cult following and/or good sonics. Ry Cooder uses one of the pickups that came out of a certain guitar from circa 1960 in his sonic blue Strat...neck position. I did not know this until I bought one of these guitars an LB-50, iirc, Feather house brand of a certain manufacturer. Neat little solid body with a set neck, adjustable bridge...and great sounding pickups. That guitar had a market value of over $1k USD.

go here for ID on the pickup...

https://drowninginguitars.com/2012/06/29/the-bizarre-guitar-pickup-encyclopedia/

teleforman likes this.
  3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

And ....Welcome!

4. BradKM

BradKM Tele-Holic

The Drowning in Guitars site linked above is great. If you really want to go down the rabbit hole, the book "History of Japanese Electric Guitars" by Frank Meyers is good starting point. Thumbing through it shows Heit and Heit Deluxe branded guitars were most commonly built by Fujigen Gakki, Kawai and Teisco. There's also a Sakai built & branded guitar that looks very similar to yours...Sakai was purchased by Kawai in '66, and Teisco scooped up Kawai not too long after that, so there's a lot of overlap. Those pickups look like units commonly used by Fujigen, Kawai and Teisco, and while the Meyers book doesn't identify their manufacturer, all three commonly sourced pickups from Shin-Ei.

5. teleforman

teleforman TDPRI Member

Wally and Brad... Just getting on for the first time in a while. Thanks for the great feedback. I was having severe static issues everytime I touched and move my hand/finger on the pickguard. I replaced a pot and the jack. No change. A local tech tells me this is a common problem. I have had tele's and strats and never had this issue. He had a great fix idea. He said, and I did put 3m Exterior removable painters tape where my hand touches the pick guard. Boom, no more static. Ugly but works. Thanks again!!!

6. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

You could also use a glue stick to apply regular aluminum foil to the back of the pickguard. It’s hidden, so not ugly. Just ensure the foil is touching something that is grounded. This has the added side effect of reducing noise caused by outside sources (EMI, radio signals, etc...)

teleforman likes this.
  7. TX_Slinger

TX_Slinger Tele-Meister

doesn't intonate, offbeat japanese single coils? Sounds perfect for surf guitar!

teleforman likes this.
  8. teleforman

teleforman TDPRI Member

Brad KM... great intel. Thanks.

BradKM likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.