Heirs: "Dad had 140 Guitars and Left Them To Me"

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by bgmacaw, Feb 22, 2020.

1. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I ran across this post on Reddit this evening and thought it was interesting. The Dad had a collection of 140 guitars and left them to one of his kids. Now, they're trying to figure out how to get them to their house. I suggested they hire an estate liquidator to sell them if they didn't want to keep them instead of trying to move them.

So, what kind of guitar mess are you going to leave your heirs?

140 guitars2.JPG

2. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

The big thing is to immobilize them without weight on them. Wrap them in towels, sheets and blankets. Or buy a case of bubble wrap and do it that way. Pack them so the mass does not move. I have to move 50 across country and it is a challenge even in cases.

telleutelleme and OldDude2 like this.
  3. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

A few rolls of large bubble wrap and gaff tape would keep them safe enough for the trip if you took it easy. Carpet and blankets on the floor, stand the bubble wrapped guitars up and gaff them together to prevent movement when they are packet tight wall to wall in the trailer. Guitars are a lot sturdier than most give them credit for. Unless they are gibsons. Even then there is a 70% chance that most will survive the trip.:)

If you start boxing up the trailer won't hold all 140 guitars or you would need to stack them which would put them at greater risk of damage.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    Skydog1010, MattyK-USA and nojazzhere like this.
  4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I suggested that approach if they had to move them and didn't want to sell them. I also recommended they use wardrobe boxes as extra protection and handling convenience.

djh22, Toadtele and dented like this.
  5. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Viking funeral

bender66, DekeDog, ce24 and 29 others like this.
  6. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I was thinking of using a pod once I got them wrapped. Then insure them and let the moving van take them away. I am leaving all of my musical instruments to one member of the family and I let everyone know. He can do what he wants. But he is generous, financially well off and has 6 of his own.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  7. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

I wonder if they could get shipping boxes from music stores? Seems like guitar center would be throwing out a lot of them on a regular basis.

Actually I remember somebody used to post on Craigslist locally offering to buy guitar shipping boxes for $5 a pop. Take a long time to get 140 of them that way though...

8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Bubble wrap for known poly finishes. Save the blankets and etc., for those that are nitro or any other solvent based finish.

9. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

why fart around hauling shelving?? whatever... put the heavy stuff down on the floor. then boxes, then guitars in cases on top of that. bubble wrapped & blanketed guitars on top of that.

actually, my first advice it to have somebody that knows guitars look at the heap. they may be mostly duds that don't really matter. or... they may be a pile of rare and expensive instruments that deserve a better ride than a freekin' U haul. at least ask somebody

bender66, Skydog1010, bigbean and 5 others like this.
  10. guitartwonk

guitartwonk Tele-Meister

I think I'm gonna go for the Viking Funeral option because I'm right handed and the only child who's even remotely interested in music is a southpaw.

11. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

hmmmm maybe his dad knew it would mess with him?
    I'll leave him the guitars knowing that he won't have a clue and have anxiety fits.... as a teenager he really was a super pain in the ass!

Treehouse, Chunkocaster and stnmtthw like this.
  12. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

My grandkids put little name tags on all my stuff and sit around rubbing their hands and smiling at me...o_O

13. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

140 guitars is a lot to deal with, even if you know everything about each one. Hire a professional to liquidate.

14. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I just moved 30+ Banjos, 550 miles and across state lines. The ATFB permits were a piece of cake compared to the Geneva convention issues...

bender66, Doorlord, kafka and 2 others like this.
  15. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I've gone over some of the guitars briefly with my son. I need to purchase a couple of cases, but essentially each instrument has a case, and on each case is the manufacturer name and the instrument's serial # (from one of those little tape makers). Inside the case is a brief history (as I know it) of the instrument, the purchase receipt (if I have it), or a current posting for a like instrument on Reverb (with my thoughts on the price/condition). In the end, it will be up to the kids and I won't care. In the big scheme they'll really only want my Dad's banjo and the 12 string I've had since before they were born.

16. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm taking mine with me, finally going to have some hot licks.

Toadtele, fnkmstr and RoyBGood like this.
  17. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Glad no one suggested hiring a "professional" mover.

18. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Holic

To answer the original question, I'll be dead so I won't really care what happens at that point. My kids don't play, so I'm sure they'll be sold within a week of my demise. If my wife's still alive, they'll be sold the next day.

19. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

There are movers that specialize in moving stuff like this. But they aren't cheap and your average household mover is likely to screw stuff up.

When I was in college I worked for a mover that specialized in moving difficult and fragile stuff like antiques and musical instruments. The worst one was when a former concert pianist donated his full grand piano to a local church. It took 12 guys to move it out of his circa 1890 house. Then, it started cracking his front walk as we were rolling it toward the truck so we had to lift it the rest of the way.

philpm and Toadtele like this.
  20. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Seems to me, the first step would be to have someone who knows about guitars take a look at these things and see which ones are worth moving, probably a lot of junk in that collection.

bender66 and Tommyd55 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.