hefferzon Telecaster build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by hefferzon, Apr 16, 2012.

1. hefferzon

hefferzon TDPRI Member

Hello! Here are some pics of my Telecaster build. This is my first try building an electric guitar, except for a couple of piezo pup four string CBG's. Unfortunately I'm very bad at documenting my doings, so this is what I got, and now it's almost done.

Anyway, this Tele body started as a rather ugly 1m piece of swedish alder I got years ago for a one piece lapsteel I intended to build using my swapped out pup's and electronincs from a Squier Tele, but it never happened.

This spring I found the piece in my garage and felt I wanted to do something with it, and as I think Telecasters are very cool yet simple I decided to make a try and build one.

[​IMG]
    All routing done except neck pocket.

[​IMG]
    Finished with nitrocellulose rattle cans(one can of light vintage amber and two cans of clear gloss).

[​IMG]
    Here it is, sanded and buffed along with all the gathered parts including the Allparts vee-neck and Klein PUP's.

[​IMG]
    Doing some mock up while waiting for the ordered shielding copper tape.

[​IMG]
    I like this bakelite pickguard I got from ebay, but I'm not sure yet..

[​IMG]
    That's it for now..

//Jesper

2. edchavez

edchavez Tele-Holic

Looks good!

3. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

Very nice job!
    I like the looks of that pick guard, too!

4. hefferzon

hefferzon TDPRI Member

Thanks!

5. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Afflicted

Cool.

6. hefferzon

hefferzon TDPRI Member

Today I got the shielding tape in the mail, so this evening I've been shielding and soldering. I also mounted the pickguard, the bridge, the pickups and control plate. Soon it will be playable:)

image-1649030561.jpg

image-734822398.jpg

image-894298523.jpg

image-371183904.jpg

image-1599565995.jpg

image-4096141301.jpg

image-2164812108.jpg

7. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Wow, very nice!
    I have never seen a pickguard like that and I like it.

8. TeleJosh

TeleJosh TDPRI Member

Great looking build Hefferzon, I will be following with eager eyes. I thought about doing a natural wood finish with that exact pickguard, ebay?

9. hefferzon

hefferzon TDPRI Member

Thanks TeleJosh! Yes, I got the pickguard from ebay a while ago. I belive the seller had some variations of it too, like all black, and gold with black engravings.

Yesterday I made a nut and strung it up for the first time. But as it was really late and the rest of the family sleeping, I just played it trough amplitube for iphone and headphones, but it sounded really nice! Cant wait till I get home from work so I can play it loud:) but there still much fine tuning to do..

10. wemedge

wemedge TDPRI Member

That wood is not ugly at all! I love the grain, and the finish.

good stuff.

wemedge

11. Blacque Jacque

Blacque Jacque Tele-Meister

I wouldn't say that's an ugly piece of wood at all. OK, so it's not super flame quilted, hipporhinossapig stripes, but it isn't ugly either.

Subtle, that's what it is.

12. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

That wood came up really well. Heck, I've seen a lot worse- yours came up really nicely.

13. Billy Porter

Billy Porter Tele-Meister

Looking really good - definitely not ugly. I much prefer plain wood to overdone quilts, burrs and flames (personal taste)

I didn't realise you could get Alder that wide:rolleyes:

I'm curious as to what the switch does between the controls. Coil tap or phase?

I'm also amazed that our US cousons haven't asked about the car that your Tele is balanced on

14. hefferzon

hefferzon TDPRI Member

Thanks everybody!
    I also like the plain wood look. The first idea was to finish it mary kaye white, but now I'm glad I chose a more yellowish finish as I think it match the pickguard better.

It's a two piece body as the board was around 12" wide, ie. not wide enough for a one piece. I belive it's rare they grow any bigger than that though. At least here in Sweden. The Swedish alder is mostly used for sauna interior and "träskor"(wood shoes) by the way.

[​IMG]
    Wood shoe

The switch between the controls is a coil tap. The bridge pickup is a Klein Pickups 50's Lead & Esquire (6.6k & 7.6k).

If anyone is interested, the air cleaner I used as a display stand in the picture, sits on top of a smallblock chevy, mounted in a 1966 B-body frame.
    The two door post Belair body is spending its time in another garage at the moment.

15. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Nice guitar.

I love that pickguard.

16. Billy Porter

I thought I could see a centre seam but thought I'd ask anyhow.

I used to work a lot in Sweden - Bjuv near Helsinborg. There seemed to be a lot of US cars there, especially in the summer months. Enjoying watching your build

17. hefferzon

hefferzon TDPRI Member

Aha! I never been to Bjuv. But I've been to Helsingborg, but its of the map for me. I live 650 km north of Bjuv. What was your work there?

The grain make the center seam not that obvious from some angles, but very obvious from some. See pics. I think that's a cool effect actually.

image-2974293838.jpg

Looking up the neck, very visable center seam.

image-4258486859.jpg

Looking down the neck, not that visable..

The only thing that remains doing now is make the nut fit properly. I got the string hight right but the shape needs some filing.

image-1941377659.jpg

I made a small vise dedicated to the task, as it seems risky doing it whit nut in neck, and hard to reach in my regular vises.

image-3700056560.jpg

Do you glue the nut in place when its done, or does it stay in place just by the string pressure?

If glueing is the way to go, what glue is best for the task. Wood glue? (bone nut).

18. Billy Porter

I was working on Projects for Findus - mainly SAP

My last build the nut is so tight I'm not bothering to glue it. The previous build with a bone nut I used super-glue

19. hefferzon

hefferzon TDPRI Member

Well, I used some super glue for the nut. Now I consider this guitar done. I'm very pleased the way it came out. And it sounds and plays really nice. Next project will be a small tube amp combo, witch I'm gathering parts for.

image-3892834806.jpg

20. Bri-Sonic

Bri-Sonic Tele-Meister

Hefferzon, that is one beautiful Tele. The finish looks superb and the body/scratchplate combo really works. Question - do you have an Ebay user name for the seller of those scratchplates?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.