1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Heavy Metal Distortion

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by whodatpat, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Guran

Guran Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

On your DeVille: Drive channel, gain at 3-5 (depending on master volume), bass @ 4, mids @ 10, treble @ 1-2 and presence flat out.

On you tele: Bridge pickup and roll back tone control all the way. Strike a chord and turn tone up until you get some bite shining through.

This should be pretty close. It will not be a Marshall stack, but there aren't many pedals that will get you much closer. If you don't like it, you have at least not spent any money.

Oh, and turn that comperssor off, at least for the AC/DC stuff.

2. 1charger69

1charger69 Tele-Meister

my orange boss mega distortion gives ya that 80s hair band sound...its drops the mids out to replicate the cool van halen brown sound too:D

3. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Banned

There are a lot of pedals :) As someone mentioned, a RAT will give you similar sounds on the right settings. The English Muff'n is also a great idea if you can afford it, has a tube in it. I'd stay clear of the Zvex Box of Rock though. It's not worth the price. You can get a clone of it off DIY Stompboxes though.

A modded DS-1, the Classic Rock Amplug... the list goes on.

The Marshall models n my AD30VT are amazing so I don't really need any pedals(I have a Turbo RAT as opposed the standard and love it).

4. kcp

kcp TDPRI Member

EH Metal Muff

5. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I was waiting for someone to mention this.

To cover the bands listed, get a BSIAB II kit - chances are you won't be disappointed.

If you need cheaper, get one of the Guv'nors that was mentioned, and replace the two LED clipping diodes with something softer, like 2N7000 mosfets.

If you need cheaper still, get a used older Daddy-O. It's a Guv'nor clone. Replace the clippers like above, and you'll be good to go.

Attached Files:

6. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Banned

That stuffs not too easy to do :? I can't use a soldering iron, at all.

7. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

It's not that hard, but if you don't feel comfortable learning, that's understandable.

Try a stock Guv'nor or Daddy-O. Maybe in combination with the Tone Press, you can find a lower gain setting that will do the hard rock crunch thing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.