1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

heavy-knurl knobs..

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by skinny ted, Jan 25, 2008.

1. skinny ted

skinny ted TDPRI Member

heavy knurl knobs...trying saying that 10times fast...

im looking at callaham..and glendale here...both are around the same price..

anyone have any personal experince or a preference to either? or perhaps alternatives?

thanks!:D

2. Bill  Hullett

Bill Hullett Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Yes!!!

The Glendales are perfect repros of 1950 Broadcaster Knobs....While the Calaham are oversized and they are a different animal than a real Tele knob....I have both and prefer the Glendales by far...But thats because I love all things that replicate old original Tele stuff....YMMV

Hope that helps...
    Bill Hullett

3. skinny ted

skinny ted TDPRI Member

oversized in... height?

4. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

I have the Callaham dome top knobs... I really like them. I have not used the Glendale but I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I've bought a lot of Callaham stuff, but not the knurled knobs, yet.

Just got my second set of nickel plated aluminum knobs from Mr. Clark today.
    I love how the knob looks so massive and heavy and full of testosterone, and yet is less mass than the stock AV52 knob. A heavy knob ain't gonna help yer tone, my friend. .5 ounces each versus 1.1 ounces each for stock (approx- the scale indicates three cents per ounce, US postage, not new)

It is one of the few things you could just put on a CS NOC Nocaster and have people smile with approval. They're cool. Order some of Glen's 'blem' machined jack cups while you're at it. They are also light, .5 ounces each, and they are small $ and look terrific. He calls them blems, but they just look like jewelry to me.

Bubbanov

6. Bill  Hullett

Bill Hullett Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Well......

The callaham knobs are about 30% taller than any Fender knob ever was and the knurling is about 25/30% more coarse than Fender knobs....They look great, but are not "Fender Like"

The Glendales are true to form....

The choice is up to you....

Thanks
    Bill Hullett

7. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

Has anyone tried Brian Poes High-Tech Tool knurled knobs? How do they compare to Glendales and Callahams?

8. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

depends on what you mean by heavy...

From the left...

The first one is the dome knob Fender puts on the AV '52 Tele and the MIM '50s Tele.

The second one is the barrel knob Fender puts on Teles including the AV '62, the MIM '60s and many modern style Teles as well.

The third one is the one Fender puts on the J5.

Those three all have a nice sharp edge to the knurl. That sharp edge helps them stick to my fingers.

Of those three, the third has the most coarse grained pattern to its knurl, and the second has the finest grained pattern.

Even though the first has a more coarse grain than the second, the second feels better in my hand because I feel the edge of the top, and I feel knurl all the way to the top.

Now if you meant heavy, knurled as in heavy in weight and knurled, that a whole 'nother topic!

[​IMG]

9. Jellecaster

Jellecaster Friend of Leo's

The J5 knobs are really cool. On my builds I use the Glendale. A tad pricey, but they are beautiful and just feel awesome.

10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I talked to Glen on this subject. He tells me that his knobs and Brian's knobs are one and the same.

Another advantage on the Glendale's is there's room for a longer shaft, if your control plate makes up with the solid shaft sitting up taller, you can custom set the knobs to height. They really are big (more tall than bigger in diameter), and the knob is just that much closer to that top-hat in position #1.

I put these Glendale knobs and a Glendale machined jack cup on a black on black Am Se Tele, blackguard, with an aftermarket modded vintage plate and 3 brass barrel saddles, looks insidious. Ain nothing wrong with the stock Am Se pickups as long as you have a good plate and saddles.

Wonder what they'd look like on a Strat?

Bubbanov

11. Flat357

Flat357 Banned

I have the Glendale Alluminium Chrome range and they look and feel fine .

Glendale Alluminium Chrome plated
    [​IMG]

Glendale Alluminium Nickel plated
    [​IMG]

Glendale vintage dome
    [​IMG]

To be honest though , a set of original Fender Knobs are also very well knurled , and offer quite a grip , unlike the cheaper ones you get on non Fender type guitars .
    http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/0018357000.jpg

Here is a good deal for only $4.50
    [​IMG]

From here :
    http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.elderly.com/images/accessories/GEPT/TDCH_side.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.elderly.com/accessories/items/TDCH.htm&h=617&w=640&sz=54&hl=en&start=17&tbnid=q2hh6fli8C3CzM:&tbnh=132&tbnw=137&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dfender%2Bdome%2Bknobs%26gbv%3D2%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den

12. skinny ted

skinny ted TDPRI Member

ive got the standard 50's knobs on there. the knurl is real nice, but when im doing any rapid swells i tend to slip...which is especially lame when youre handling the volume knob. haha.
    ...those glendale vintage domes are nice!..GRrrRrrr;)

13. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

I prefer to use pots with the shorter shanks and shafts like one of these. In doing so I avoid that situation:

[​IMG][​IMG]

However, if you already have pots with the longer shafts and shanks like these, and you are stuck in that situation:

[​IMG]

...then just use additional washers as spacers between the pot and the mounting surface. Washers are cheap, and this approach allows you to use any set screw knob with a compatible hole diameter.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.