1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Heavy guitars sound better...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by aadvark, Sep 2, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Fred-paris

Fred-paris TDPRI Member

It’s funny, I have been reading about Rosewood telecaster this week and Elvis sent back his all rosewood to Fender as 5,9kg was a bit over the top for him. I don’t know how heavy was George’s Tele but there a f w videos from artists playing his Telecaster and they all found it (really) heavy. Production models were weight-relieved and weighted in at around 3,5kg which is average for a Tele.

2. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

When I was building my teles, I became convinced that it was 'way better to make them from a single chunk of wood, no gluing.

I'm not so sure about that now, but well... there they are.

I'm pretty much down with OP's #3 statement. Find your guitar's voice and let it sing.

aadvark likes this.
  3. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

I find lighter guitars to sound boomier and louder without as much sustain. Heavier guitars seem to sustain better and have a more even sound. These differences are quite subtle in my experience. I feel quality of the wood is more important than the type or weight. The wood itself has almost no impact on the voice of an electric guitar.

4. Tsteleplayer

Tsteleplayer TDPRI Member

OK. MY BEST SOUNDING TELE HAS A WARMOTH SWAMP ASH BODY AND BAJA 50s MAPLE NECK WITH 6 SADDLE BRIDGE AND BROADCASTER AND TWISTED TELE PICKUPS WITH A 4 WAY SWITCH.ITS HARD TO EXPLAIN BUT IT SOUNDS BRIGHT AND WARM AND IVE TRIED 5 SIMILAR BUILDS AND CANNOT REPRODUCE WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE. IT IS VERY LIGHT AND PEOPLE ALWAYS COMMENT ON HOW GOOD IT SOUNDS. I WISH I KNEW THE SECRET.

5. Peter77

Peter77 Tele-Holic

Maybe this has already been up in the thread but there is an interview with George Harrison and Eric Capton Where George says has a better tone. Lighter guitars tend to have a light tone

6. Peter77

Peter77 Tele-Holic

The Telecaster George got was the best Telecaster ever made. The one they sent to Elvis was the second best so I would guess it was about the same weight. However George gave away his Tele after 11 months to Delany Bramlet. George was more a Stratocaster guy. He Toured then with Delany and Bonny using his Rocky Fender Stratocaster.

7. Peter77

Peter77 Tele-Holic

George always used Strats in studio and tours

8. Weazel

Weazel Tele-Holic

"Heavy guitars sound better..."

No.

TeleMonkey likes this.
  9. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The most resonant solid body I own is a '55 Rex, made by Kay. Very much like a Stratotone. Neck through, very small body, rosewood saddle, giant neck.
    Super light, super resonant (by that I mean acoustically loud), and it has so much sustain it throws me off and I have to really adjust my playing.
    The notes just don't decay like I expect them to.
    This guitar explodes several guitar myths.
    It also plays all the cowboy chords in tune.

10. Boxla

Boxla Tele-Meister

are there 'lighter=better' arguments? I can't say that I've seen a bunch of arguments like that. There's no doubt that lighter is easier on the back and neck when standing for a prolonged period of time.

Which begs the spotlight to be shone on Jerry Garcia lugging 13.5# Tiger around for so many years. 13 1/2 pounds and I think my 8.2 # guitar is heavy.

But light vs heavy, once you plug it in, it's amp and pickups.

aadvark likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.