1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

heavy combo amps

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Unpossible, Oct 9, 2017.

1. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

some girlfriends/boyfriends would help...if they're really into you

for some time at least :)

2 Headed Goat and Sounds Good like this.
  2. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I remember my MESA/Boogie Studio 22 combo was very light. Sounded amazing.

3. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Hand truck or casters. I use a hand truck with my BFSR and tweed Bassman. Attach some industrial carpet or wrap the amp in a blanket, use a couple of bungee cords to lock it down, and off you go. A 60lb Super is far easier than a washing machine to move down or up stairs, and the hand truck makes easy work of it.

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  4. DrBoBo

DrBoBo TDPRI Member

My main amp, an Allen Encore, is about 52 lbs. Good news is I don't gig out much anymore and I have a 27 year old son who just loves playin' roadie

DrBoBo

5. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

I've got the Peavey Classic 50 1x15 and there's no way in hell I'd take that to a gig, regardless of how great it sounds with a Telecaster (it does sound great). Its parked in my studio area and will probably not be moved for a long time.

I used to use an old Marshall 800 combo which was seemingly made of lead, it was so heavy for its size... now I use a Fender Deluxe which is bigger but lighter. Strange thing, that.

MilwMark likes this.
  6. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've ditched all my heavier amps.

You could say, a Bassman reissue is only about 10 lbs more than a DRRI. Or you could say, it weighs 20% more.

DRRI weight is my limit these days. I'm contemplating selling my DRRI because I like to have just a bit of overdrive from the amp live. Every time I turn the DRRI up to where it's overriding a bit, some sound guy or club manager threatens to beat me with a stool.

My Ampeg GVT 15 is almost exactly the same weight as my DRRI. but it's narrower so the weight is more centered and it feels lighter. Also it has an inefficient speaker and a 1/2 power setting. So the sound guy and club manager only threaten me with a bar towel when I turn it up on 7.5 watts . . .

I played our last gig (daytime corporate number) with my Marshall Class 5. I had it up to 1/2 way for one song, and then concluded that was too loud. It's 5 watts, with a 10" speaker and weighs 27lbs I think.

I know some guys like "big iron" and multiple speakers. Who am I to say they are wrong. But I'm always curious where they play and who they play with, that they are getting value out of all that weight.

7. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

It seems that they sell the more expensive amps by the pound .

CJM3309 likes this.
  8. adeiderich

adeiderich Tele-Afflicted

These guys... dogs.jpg

AAT65 likes this.
  9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

10. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

plus you can skate on it.

DaphneBlue and cntry666 like this.
  11. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Possibly a lighter cab material and lighter speaker, but definitely a smaller set of transformers on a Deluxe. Depending on which 800 you had, that could be either a 50 or 100W set of transformers. Quality iron is flippin' HEAVY. Check out the trannies on a Bassman, for example.[​IMG]

12. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Avoid the Fender Quad Reverb and Super Six. They're like an upright piano with a handle on top.

13. Knowcaster

Knowcaster Tele-Holic

One of the main reasons I just bought a Katana 100. It weighs in at a mere 32 lbs with a glorious 100 watts of Solid State power into a 12 inch speaker. My hope is to not only ditch the heavier tube combos I have been lugging to gigs, but also my pedal board, cords, etc. I have a gig at the end of the month so I will see how it sounds in a gigging situation, and will have a couple of weeks to dial in the sounds I want to assign to the 4 available presets. I will probably take my trusty DRRI as a backup and leave it in the car, just in case.

outbreak, 3-Chord-Genius and tery like this.
  14. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

CASTERS, baby!
    Two inch wheels on the 2x12;
    Three inches on the bass combo.
    Peace - Deeve

xafinity likes this.
  15. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

And a 1x8 combo for times when the deeeluxe, twin and 15 are a pita for hauling

16. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

What a great analogy-- that does put humpfing my SR in much better perspective!! Now if I was in a Rush tribute band, then I'd have to worry about also getting washing machines on stage, but fortunately that isn't the case!

17. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Or a nice rotisserie oven.

The washer is what I originally bought my hand truck for, then I stuck it in the garage and forgot about it. Then one day I'm lugging the SR up the basement stairs, down the garage stairs, and elbowed the hand truck on the way out of the garage. Stared at it for a minute, then put the amp on it. Huh, that's a lot easier. :)

Deeve and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  18. Rythameen

Rythameen Tele-Meister

Used to gig with an Ampeg V4 and matching 4x12 cab. Not sure what it weighed, but it always took 2 of us to get the cabs back in the truck. Then one day I got the bright idea to fill it with JBL's, probably why I have back problems today. :)

W.L.Weller and Lef T like this.
  19. Felino

Felino Tele-Meister

I'm worried about loading/unloading gear (oh, my back!) and few days ago, I discovered this (no affiliation):

Innolift is a Self-Loading, Portable Freight Loader designed to easily fit in your Cargo Van, Sprinter Van, Ford Transit Connect Van or other medium and light duty commercial vehicle. Innolift is the only lift loader that can fit inside your vehicle along with the product it's loading. This eliminates the need for lift gates, ramps, swing lifts and for carrying separate pallet jacks, carts or dollies. Your vehicle charges Innolift's battery in just 15 minutes as you drive, and the whole unit loads and unloads from your vehicle in just seconds. It can lift up to 1200lbs. A true revolution in forklifts!

Yes, I'm thrilled! Now I need a van...

20. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

... or just be on the stage. I love Twin Reverbs – but only if they are provided ...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.