Heavy bottom, light top strings can twist the neck: True or False?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by WilburBufferson, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

Seems unlikely to me.

2. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Tele-Meister

@Chunkocaster , was just having a laugh but no it won't , even on my Ibanez guitars over the years I used light top heavy bottom and those necks are wafer thin compared to a 70s deluxe. Not now not ever will it make a difference to that guitar .

awasson and Chunkocaster like this.
  3. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Meister

Right, by unbalanced I was rather talking about 10-54 or 11-56 in standard tuning (provided that with 11-64 types of sets it is rather unlikely that the low strings are in standard tuning).

4. Stratwrangler

Do a stevie Ray stick 16s on it lol

5. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Ive had vintage style necks that have been borderline playable without fretting out when set up with a low action.
    I wouldn't want to put a mismatched set of strings on those guitars as I think it could could be just enough to start fretting out again. They were medium c necks. If you don't want the lowest action possible on the guitar its less of an issue.
    To straighten a neck twist I apply different string tensions from wound e to thin e string to pull the neck straight over time and with steam. I don't know how much the tension differs on the mixed sets.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  6. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

your tech is exactly right - that's why i string my guitar with 6 'G' strings.

awasson and Mick Sullivan like this.
  7. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I cracked my 80s G&L SC-1 neck at the nut/truss rod adjustment end for running 13s in my "SRV" phase daze. But nah, I still say at the 10s, you're better off worrying about your frets wearing out faster or your hands being wrecked by repetitive strain injuries.

8. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Tele-Afflicted

Ladies and Gents: I thank you *forthwith* for the replies! For the record, I agree with the conclusion that it shouldn't be a problem, for the reasons expressed above.

I have thought about learning the extra skills to do it myself. I can adjust a truss rod, set intonation, but haven't gone as far as shaping the nut, or knowing when and when not to shim a neck. But I will try and find a new tech. Man, it's like a doctor, barber or dentist -- hard to find a good one that you trust!

9. Stratwrangler

@Chunkocaster, I see what your saying but they wouldn't be that mis matched and its actually the unwound strings that put more tension on a neck than a slightly heavier bottom. And I will admit I've never had a twisted neck ever so just lucky I guess:)

Chunkocaster likes this.
  10. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Holic

You have ruined your guitar(s). Please send them to me and I will dispose of them. :)

That's interesting, never seen numbers to back up what I have always suspected.

I have used light/heavy strings on various guitars for >25 years and never had problems.

Obsessed likes this.
  11. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Ive bought a few cheaper necks that have had slight twists in them, enough to annoy me and try to straighten out. The neck would not be ruined by the miss matched gauges but it may require a setup if changing gauges to mismatched set and it was borderline playable without fretting out to begin with.

12. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Holic

I think it depends on the guitar. I ran Ernie Ball 10-52 sets on all my guitars for a while and they did pull the neck on my Les Paul into a bit of a twist. All my others (Various Strats, Teles, and their equivalents) handled them just fine. Maybe there were issues with that particular guitar..not sure. It played ok, but I wasn't trying to have my action super low or anything.

Regardless, I switched back to a regular 10-46 set later on with no problem. So there might be a bit of truth to this claim, but if your tech is saying that you guitar will be permanently damaged by skinny top/heavy bottom strings, then yeah he's full of beans.

13. Stratwrangler

@WilburBufferson, just go slowly and trial and error most things can be learnt and rectified its part of the fun with guitars, I don't let any one else touch mine . I suggest you get on youtube and learn forthwith lol. :lol:

14. Stratwrangler

Borderradio, wow that must of sucked hard , used to use heavy strings back in the day , funny thing is apart from stevie a lot of the greats whose tone we all like use really light strings , Billy gibbons uses 7 s , bb King uses 8s as does Jimmy page , Tony iommi uses 8s I could go on .
    I my self use 8s it actually hones your playing to be more delicate and purpose full rather than just bashing away.

15. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Tele-Meister

I think you should fit your tech with a BS filter immediately.

awasson likes this.
  16. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

I have never heard of that. But, I live under a rock...

17. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Same strings here - they have been making this set at least 35 years. If there were any truth to that I would think they would have been pulled from the market by now. Used on maple neck Fenders and Jackson’s, as well a Yamaha SBG500 (basically a set neck mahogany double cutaway Les Paul clone)

Piggy Stu and Pechorin like this.
  18. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I've been using the ernie ball ultra slinky these past several months. They are 10, 13, 17, 28, 28, 48. I like the extra bottom. I never thought that it could twist the neck. I doubt even going to 30, 42, 52 on the bottom would make a neck twist unless the neck had a propensity to twist anyway.

mkdaws32 likes this.
  19. Prototype

Prototype TDPRI Member

I wouldn't say any myth is busted. If you want to be scientific, you have to make extreme conditions. What would happen if a neck is 10 feet long and you had 52-10 strings on them? It would definitely twist. But since necks are short, the twist is either negated by other factors or imperceptible.

I hate new-science.

20. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

... or what if it’s stored in a steam sauna for a week? Lol! Pretzel neck!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.