Heavily modified a Player Tele - Greg Koch, was it a mistake.....

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Gkott78, Sep 3, 2021.

1. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Definitely a try before you buy but the Reverend guitar has a giant pile of changes.. It's pretty far from a normal Tele and maybe that helps it.

The body shape and wood is pretty dramatically different considering it's a larger guitar and has the raised center ridge + is made of Korina instead of Ash or Alder.

The Fluence pickups are super interesting but yah.. no way I'd buy without trying first. And of course it could be some of the other fluence pickups are going to be a better option for some guitars too.

I bet these pickups are capable of being revoiced through the USB jack with some magic software, but good luck getting Fishman to share that with you.

They very likely have some interesting ability to plug a computer into the guitar and play with the EQ of the pickups. Or it's possible they baked the EQ in with no way to change it after production. But the first is more likely with modern stuff.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  2. Clifton C

Clifton C Tele-Afflicted

I remember putting EMG pickups in my Paisley Tele (see avatar) and they sounded lifeless to me, too. I could see how people who were constantly driving a lot of effects might like them, but I didn’t like them. After years and years, I finally found the pickup combination I like best: Custom Shop Nocaster in the bridge, and Lollar mini-humbucker in the neck.

wblynch likes this.
  3. LuvMeATele

LuvMeATele TDPRI Member

4. bigbenbob

bigbenbob TDPRI Member

I am using the Koch pickups in a bodged together Tele. For starters, the body is a massive rock so not my kind of resonance, but probably good for harder rock tones.

That said, the pickups sometimes do sound brittle. But I have to remember that the tone control works beautifully because IT IS PREAMPED. So when I'm in a room where my amp sounds too bright, I can always rolll back the treble to 1/4 setting and the guitar still sounds great. What I especially like about the Koch set is that when playing funky rhythms on things like James Brown tunes or more modern R&B, notes seem to leap off of the instrument...the pickups are very dynamic and responsive to the right hand. So I'll suggest that if you back off tone controls (try the amp too) you can still get that immediacy of dynamics with a sweeter tone. With passive pickups, I often am not happy backing the tone control way off, but the preamp on the Koch set makes it work much better.

I have a build coming soon with a chambered alder body that should further sweeten these pickups, so I'll keep y'all updated.

hemmings and That Cal Webway like this.
  5. freshmattyp

freshmattyp Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I'm just spitballing, maybe some 500K pots would work better than the stock 250's?

6. Shiner51

Shiner51 TDPRI Member

I have a Reverend Greg Koch Gristle master with the fatV neck. I also have nine other Teles, Some actual fender, most are parts casters with fender, Lollar, and Fralin pickups . I have carried at least one of them to every gig recently and done an A-B shoot out with the Reverend during the night, and the Reverend has been the clear winner every time. They all sound very good, but the Reverend just comes through with more clarity and more twang. They are pretty bright but that can be handled by adjusting the settings on the amp.

7. Dik Ellis

Dik Ellis Tele-Holic

Crobbins likes this.
  8. JIMMY JAZZMAN

JIMMY JAZZMAN Tele-Holic

I have a player telecaster and I find the stock pickups fine. I'm using that with a Vox AC15C1 and
    it's very versatile. No need to go tone chasing with that combination.

9. jbensaab

jbensaab TDPRI Member

I've got both models of the Greg Koch guitars and they both sound great, but the P90's are my favorites. I have lots of other guitars and these play and sound the best out of all of them, especially the P90's in the out of phase setting!

Crobbins and Shiner51 like this.
  10. Shiner51

Shiner51 TDPRI Member

I have the Fishman Fluence Stratocaster set in a partscaster and they sound great, especially the neck pickup.

Crobbins likes this.
  11. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

If I'm not mistaken, this is an ACTIVE pickup set. You must use the circuit board and pots it comes with if you want any chance at a decent tone. Typically active pickups are low impedance and use completely different pots with dramatically different values from the pots used for passive pickups.

I have active EMGs (David Gilmour) set in my Stratocaster. I really like how they sound. But they definitely have a more compressed sound that some might not like.

It may turn out that you just don't like this pickup solution. However, I recommend that you do some research and set the pickup heights to whatever the manufacturer's recommendation is. Otherwise you may not be giving them a fair audition. Do not use your passive pickup experience with regard to height and pot values to interfere with getting these set up the way they're designed to be set up. I've seen the YouTube videos of Greg Koch playing these pickups and I thought they were voiced pretty well, but of course there's all kind of recording studio magic that can be done to optimize the final advertisement.

A big advantage of active pickups is they typically are hum-free. Given how many Teles you have it might turn out that this is the Tele you use for recording, or for playing at gigs where you know there's a notorious level of hum due to their circuitry/light interference, etc. Another advantage of them being active is that you typically get less capacitance loss during your cable run from the guitar to your pedal board or amp. So if you have a longer cable run you might not lose any highs as compared to a shorter cable run.

12. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The Greg Koch P90 guitar is next on my list.:cool:

13. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I'm waiting personally for the fish, chips and mushy pea tone. :D

telemnemonics likes this.
  14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Fish & chips is back ordered but the mushy peas are a custom option that has to ship from the UK.

If you want curry on your chips that's also foreign shipping and will take an extra 4-6 weeks.
    Lemons are included at no extra charge though if you order the peas separately and skip the curry.

Fendereedo likes this.
  15. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Wait, wait! You forgot the salt and vinegar!!!
    ;)

OmegaWoods likes this.
  16. Gkott78

Gkott78 TDPRI Member

Quick update on this build. I've been playing this guitar through multiple amps. I purchased a Princeton Reverb with a 12" C Rex speaker, and it's still in the break in period for this speaker. Through this amp, the pickups sound great. I also have a Blackstar HT20R MKII, and that amp has a very very scooped clean tone. It seems boosted on the high and low end, and into the Blackstar they sound brittle and harsh. I've even plugged the blackstar into a Orange PPC112 Cab with a Vintage 30 in it and although it tamed the harshness it was still present. Something about these pickups into that amp... just didn't work. Through my Princeton, they are great. Through my Marshall DSL40, they are a little bright but it's the EQ on the amp was able to cut out the harshness.

Still playing with them, but very happy with how they are sounding through the Princeton now.

Crobbins and telemnemonics like this.
  17. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Mr Koch doesn't approve of vinegar in the same county as fish, so that option will not be made available!
    Salt is stock on all models.

unixfish and Fendereedo like this.
  18. JIMMY JAZZMAN

JIMMY JAZZMAN Tele-Holic

Is there a tone knob on your guitar? How about EQ knobs on your amp? Pedals? No pedals? I would think
    with pickups like that, all kind of tones would be possible. No disrespect intended but for the value of the pups
    I would be very concerned.

19. JIMMY JAZZMAN

JIMMY JAZZMAN Tele-Holic

Except chicken or beef.

20. JIMMY JAZZMAN

JIMMY JAZZMAN Tele-Holic

The battery is for more Db's. That's all.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.