Heavily modded Bassman on eBay.

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by tele_savales, Sep 19, 2021.

1. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

2. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

some dude who used to do high gain mods to fenders? not highly revered i guess, a lot of crap talking.

i definitely don't like the look of that work one bit. sloppy as hell. plus nothing is original on the tagboard.

that's a lot of balls asking 1500 for that. an ab165 you can still find under 1000 sometimes, especially SF.

nedorama and Timbresmith1 like this.
  3. tele_savales

Yeah, I can see the need for every wire t be shielded if you're not going to pay any attention whatsoever to lead dress.
    It's not something I'd ever buy. I've never seen anything like it really, except maybe the occasional Lee Jackson modded amp.

4. Jon Snell

Jon Snell Tele-Holic

Should be easy enough to put it back as it should be, assuming the price is right for your pocket.
    Not cost effective for any of my customers.

5. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

RUN AWAY!

CV Jee Beez likes this.
  6. nedorama

nedorama Tele-Holic

Run Away indeed. Dan Torres sold snake oil and had horrible customer service back when he was in business. Buy an original Bassman or one that's been modified slightly - this looks like you'd have to rip everything out. And why the extra transformer and wiring coming out of the doghouse?

CV Jee Beez and guitar_paul1 like this.
  7. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

Dan Torres - polarizing figure who sold amp mod kits BITD for old fenders. I have a bunch of his catalogs and news letters from back in the early 1990s. Many of the mods were aimed at "modernizing" Fenders into cascaded channel, high gain amps.

Antoon and telemnemonics like this.
  8. tele_savales

I find it immediately disheartening and immediately lose faith in anyone w a yahoo hosted site. I don't know why.

Pcs264 likes this.
  9. tele_savales

I would never buy it in a million years unless it was 150 bucks, then I'd gut it and build a 6G6 or a AA864.

nedorama and Paul G. like this.
  10. Neener

Neener Tele-Afflicted

My work is cleaner and I just started working on amps this summer. That thing looks a fire waiting to happen lol

11. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Poster Extraordinaire

An atrocity? That would be my first guess.

12. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

$300-$400 max

13. Whatizitman

And probably all the seller will get on this "one of a kind".

But cheers to the seller's optimism. We need more of that in the world right now.

14. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Afflicted

I will not be buying it but the work does not seem too bad to me. I would like to hear what it sounds like actually.

telemnemonics likes this.
  15. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

If it was modded BY Dan Torres it has some value added along with value lost.
    If it was modded by a hobbyist using Torres schematics and/ or kit, it's more lost value.
    I wouldn't totally discount it as a possibly very good hand wired tube amp just based on the wiring appearance.
    Pretty lead dress is more trendy than critical.
    It is indeed possible to build an amp that sounds great and is reliable, without attractive looking guts.
    I would not buy that amp though, and even if it does sound great and was actually modded by Torres, it's still not worth anywhere near the asking price.

Only a very very few amp modders from the amp modding era are well loved enough that the amps they modded are desirable.
    While many many qualified techs modded Marshall and Fender amps into useful fire breathing monsters.

16. telemnemonics

I'd say that also it is NOT a '67 BF, probably a '67 SF.

17. Whatizitman

And what exactly is that tagboard for? Thin wiring from the OT, and that's a pretty long ground wire from the speaker jack(?). Some kind of attenuator circuit? Gotta love the shielded wire, though LOL. Coax(?) Wow.

18. GAS Giant

GAS Giant Tele-Meister

Do I see a Texas Instruments component in there...I had a cousin who owned a 300ZX and was trying to sell it without success...he bought a random sticker that said "Turbo" and applied it to the car, selling it within days...(when my mom died he was cut out of the will on general principle).

IF you are preparing to sell an amp that has a following, some cache, based upon the stock version, you had better restore it to stock. My BF Bassman overdrives like a freight train bone stock. If you need an eq shift or a little more preamp gain, then an external overdrive will get the job done (they make such things). Back when a BF Bassman could be had for $500 or less, it might not have been more than a moment of whimsy to mod the amp...I had major mods on SF Bandmasters (negative feedback control, mid range, added gain stage, etc...) that really didn't make for epic amps, just fun. When I sold them, however, I was totally transparent about the mods and certainly did not ascribe any value or Excalibur-esque unique rationalizations for a premium asking price. Mods are your own business, no one cares and no one can substantiate the value without commonly circulated experiences..e.g. I recorded at a studio in L.A. about 10 years ago with a number of Divided by 13 modded Marshalls, etc... They did sound better than my stock Marshall and I would have paid a little extra to get one. Something Tony Spareparts duct-taped to my amp trying to make a Fender into something else is certainly not a value-added mod. As equipment gets older, fewer clean versions circulate, and the pieces begin to behave like baseball cards in the market, any sort of tampering (bent edges) just degrades the value. So...this seller hasn't really considered this closely or doesn't care, confident that some sucker will pay him for the "Turbo" sticker.

19. Whatizitman

Pretty lead dress more than likely indicates the builder/modder was experienced and knowledgeable. I wouldn't fire this up without at least a current limiter. Looks scary to me.

I mean who in their right mind would ziptie a separate, maybe powered, subcircuit to the heater wires?

telemnemonics likes this.
  20. telemnemonics

We may also drool over a pretty girl with bedhead and call that attractive.
    Shirl and Mo wired many of my favorite vintage Marshalls, but not for looks.

As far as the zip tie to the heaters, IDK, unless the heaters are adding noise to the sub board which may be a channel switching device?
    The heater wires are a solid metal frame to support a little board on, if one is stuck modding rather than designing from the ground up.

Fender Tweeds with the big bias resistor pressed against a cap so the hot resistor roasted the cap; looked pretty but the design was bad.
    The black wrinkled eyelet boards Fender used looked pretty but absorbed moisture and could become conductive.
    Once again a bad design we drool over for looking nice!

For that matter, when good looks became a thing in amp guts, Hiwatt was the flagship pageant winner, and yet all the hidden ground wires were?
    Bad design!

The "Torres" in question might still suck!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.