1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Heavier Neck & Bridge Pups for my Tele??

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by jrich, Oct 8, 2003.

1. jrich

jrich TDPRI Member

Hey Everyone,

I am looking for a fuller / fatter / bluesier bridge pickup. I have a stock 88 MIA, and am interested in getting feedback. I'm not looking to shred or anything, but more of a powerful rhythm sound, with some crunch. I've heard some positive things about the broadcaster pups, Hot Staock, and Dimarzio dual blade chopper, but don't know enough about these to understand the differences.

Any advice / opinions would be greatly appreciated. Also- if you were going to replace your neck pickup for some added beef - what would you go w/?

Thanks!

2. Kevin

Kevin Friend of Leo's

I love the B'caster pup, but I'd bet that for what you'll be doing the Lil '59 would be the way to go. Because of the narrower magnetic field, it won't sound exactly like a humbucker, but it's still hotter and beefier than the regular bridge pup.....

3. Scotland

Scotland Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, I used to have one on a Strat, as Kevin says, it's not a humbucker but in close proximity.

4. BrianMcNevin

BrianMcNevin TDPRI Member

I put a little 59er in a American Standard Strat of mine from the 90s. Although Duncan claims it sounds like a PAF, it doesn't to my ear. Overall, I'm pleased with it though, because it was a lot better than the shrill sounding stock single coil, which the guitar originally had. Although I often thought about replacing the stock neck and middle pickups with Texas Specials to compliment the 59er more, I'm kind of afraid to, because the arrangement just sort of worked out.

As far as the Broadcaster pickup goes, although it's a bit beefier than a vintage Tele pickup, it's not in the same league as a humbucker is, and very much retains the bite of a good Tele pickup.

5. elelpe

elelpe Tele-Afflicted

Quarter Pound set

6. voodoo_idol

voodoo_idol Friend of Leo's

Rumpelstiltskin 1950 Black-Ropes

"This is a bridge pickup modeled after the earliest Fender guitars, namely Broadcaster's. This pickup uses larger diameter alnico 3 magnets hand wound with 43 gauge wire. The sound of this pickup is slightly twangy with an added "grunt" and fatness."

http://www.rumpelstiltskinpickups.com/Tele_Pickups.html

[MP3]http://www.rumpelstiltskinpickups.com/uploads/bcaster1.mp3[/MP3]

7. xhqm4457

xhqm4457 TDPRI Member

Dimarzio Chopper T with an Area T neck (if you want to keep the original size Tele neck PU). The Chopper T has a personality disorder (that I love). When you play, sometimes it sounds like a nasty P90, sometimes a vintage humbucker, and other times - like a hot regular Tele single coil. I know it sounds weird, but I mean it in a good way. It has a sound all it's own. Also - it's noiseless, and very sensitive to pickup height so you can play with that and get different sounds. I HIGHLY recommend the Chopper T for the bridge.

8. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

I've used the Lil 59 several times. I actually pulled it out of my main Tele a couple nights ago. Every time I put it in, I fall in love all over, but it seems to be too much after a bit of time playing it. I'm putting the Black Rope back in. ( if I can find my darn solder!!!) the Broadcaster is another good one IMO, but the Black Rope is what I prefer.

9. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

wow..was this thread really started over 10 years ago

10. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

OMG! the walking dead police are coming! :eek:

11. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Sure hope he found what he was looking for by now.:rolleyes:

12. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

in before the lockdown!

:lol:

13. voodoo_idol

voodoo_idol Friend of Leo's

Wow, didn't notice it was an old thread.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.