Heavier Gauge Strings to Get Some Relief?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Rolling Estonian, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Rolling Estonian

Rolling Estonian Friend of Leo's

Quick question that I probably know the answer to, just want to check.

I was given an Epi Genesis (cool guitar, from '79-81) It was kept in a shed for the last 15 years and was a mess. I cleaned it up got it playing pretty well except for a couple of issues.

The neck has only the littlest bit of relief (which is fine) and I can achieve the low action I want except for the low E at the 2nd fret where it buzzes, only at the 2nd fret. If I raise the action to stop it, the action is way too high. So I need to add just a touch of relief. When I went to adjust the truss rod, it's loosened all the way.

I'm assuming I can put some heavier strings on there, create some relief then back it down by tightening the truss rod. I was thinking .14's?

So, am I correct in assuming this, and are .14 going to do it? (I put fresh .10 on last week)

Thanks in advance,

M

2. greytop

greytop Tele-Holic

Three things

1. Yes, heavier strings will add relief, but
    2. Sounds like you need a fret level and dress as generally adding relief won't effect it much, if any, at the second fret
    3. Shouldn't have the truss rod nut all the way loose...

3. Rolling Estonian

Rolling Estonian Friend of Leo's

Thanks, and gotcha.

Am taking it to get a full setup next week and I tightened the truss just a hair so it's not loose anymore. The nut needs to be cut properly and I want to make sure the electronics are in decent shape, I had a look and it all seemed okay but want to have a pro have a look.

M

4. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Regarding doing a traditional fret level, it wouldn't surprise me if your neck will have a bit of back bow when the strings are removed, and this precludes doing a normal fret level. What may help a lot, as previously mentioned, is some VERY careful work on the individual first three frets. A buzz when the low E is fretted at the second fret could mean the second fret is low, or the third fret is high.

One thing your tech can do is very carefully release the string tension until the fretboard is perfectly straight, then check the frets with a rocker and diagnose the fret height situation before any metal gets moved.

Good luck,
    Rex

5. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Make sure the nut slot is not too low on that string before doing anything else.

6. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

.14 is really stiff - I would go with .11 and forget about buzzes considering what that guitar is...and isn't.

Take a piece of wood - tap down the fret or frets gently above the buzz by hitting the wood with a hammer so it shoves the fret above the buzz deeper into the board. Take it easy...

Home remedy "on-the-road" that may work or may not...probably forbidden in the world of real techs. Not required if it doesn't buzz through the amp ?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.