1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Heavier Bridge Plate for MIM FSR Ash Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by djwood, Feb 27, 2013.

1. djwood

djwood TDPRI Member

Hi folks, I recently picked up a new FSR Ash Blond Tele with the intention of doing the "Micawber" treatment on it. So far it has been a great success, as far as it goes -- my goal has been to have fun and get it to a good place without spending a fortune on it.

One last thing I'm a little twisted about is the bridge plate. It came with a standard 3-saddle Fender vintage/PAT PEND bridge, and I had some spare Callaham compensated saddles that I swapped in place of the straight ones it came with. Sounds pretty darned good -- snappy, twangy, very nice.

However... my #1 is an AmStd (also Ash, 2-color burst) which I've also spent some time messing with. I have had a Callaham plate on there (whence the saddles came from) and currently am rocking a Glendale plate and saddles. Obviously or not, both the Callaham and the Glendale are a little heavier than the std Fender, and as a result seem to hold together a lot better when driving a certain amount of GAIN. So now this FSR sounds pretty decent clean, but sounds thin with anything more than a little gain on it.

I know Keef has a thick brass plate on his guitar, and you can get something pretty similar from Armadillo. But I ask the community: is there a less expensive 3-saddle plate for standard teles that sounds better with gain than the standard Fender vintage plate? Something heavier and tighter, but not as spendy as Callaham or Glendale? (If I have to go there, I will, but I don't want to miss a less-expensive option)

Here's a current pic of the project, for the record:
    [​IMG]

Oh yeah, in case anyone's curious:
    DiMarzio 36th Anniversary (neck)
    DiMarzio Area T 615 (bridge)
    Mojotone Fat Tele + Broadcaster Blender wiring harness
    Callaham compensated brass saddles, Fender PAT PEND plate
    New nut (needs some work, but better than the one that came with the guitar -- yeeeeeesh)

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

There's a gulf between the inexpensive plates, at .060 from overseas, and the "boutique" ones, and the closest thing to something less expensive was the billet brass plates that Vince Stadler (Taipantone) would do in rough form, especially when ordered in volume.

I just think the Callaham plate is really so much nicer than, say, the .060 Joe Barden plate- the price difference is evident in the quality of the part and if the result is gonna matter, you may just have to break down and spend the money. Makes me long for when Bill's bridges (with brass saddles) were just $ 90 each.

3. djwood

djwood TDPRI Member

Thank you, Boris... huh, yeah I guess this is exactly why I am asking. In other words, according to what I have been able to ascertain to date, this seems to be the case. Hmmm....

4. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Another inexpensive option is a Fender Highway One plate. They are quite a bit thicker than a standard "Pat Pend" plate, are much better made (no sharp corners) and the Fender ashtray still fits.

Darren Riley has them for $25...

[​IMG]

You can ditch the standard steel saddles and replace them with compensated Callahams, Glendales or Rutters. Here's one on my Esquire with the Callahams...

[​IMG]

5. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

See StewMac!

6. djwood

djwood TDPRI Member

Aha -- this might be what I am looking for. Small investment, possibly an improvement. Thanks for the tip!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.