heated gutters, info, tips, tricks etc

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ozcal, May 16, 2021.

1. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Afflicted

i need to do something about our entry way... u shaped gutters that in freeze up in winter... it should have been done long ago but since this will be our second winter here i want to get it done... doesn t look overly complicated but the roof does have a pretty steep pitch... i have a great local electrician who can install an outlet in the soffit for me... i have seen hidden elec cable in the gutter and i have also seen looped cable that extends up 12 or 15 inches up and runs the length of the problem area... do people do both or will that be overkill ??

any tips of pointers for a guy from the beach ?? this is a new game for me... totally out of my wheel house..

cheers

2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Not thought about that but the pipe heaters come in various lengths 3 ft to 80 ft and are fine outside. Should work for gutters fine. I'd just lay them in the gutter. I have some that have been outside for 15 years.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000DGAEF/?tag=tdpri-20

ozcal likes this.
  3. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's

The cable that has a sawtoothed pattern on the roof, should also contain a straight run of cable that goes through the gutter. This is what I have. Make sure you get a long enough cable so that it extends all the way down the downspout. If you don’t the downspout will freeze up in very cold weather and the whole thing will overflow with a big icy glacier.

ozcal likes this.
  4. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

The better thing to do is to add insulation to the attic space.

In my experience, de-ice cables on/under shingles create a fire hazard. Check with your home insurer first because these heat strips can void some policies.

ozcal likes this.
  5. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Afflicted

some good ideas... thanks gents.... didn t think about the home insurance issue... good point pee goo...

seems these things draw a bit of electricity... i was thinking about having my electrician guy put an outlet under the soffit with a switch and a light... that way i can turn them off when they aren t needed...

my neighbor just has the hidden cable ran in the gutter and it also runs the length of the downspout (thanks jimd)... i guess this may be the best route to go... i m not sure if i need the looped cable as well... i guess i ll be fine with just the hidden cable...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.