Heat to remove wooded plug from the neck

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by guitarzan13, Mar 24, 2014.

1. guitarzan13

guitarzan13 Friend of Leo's

Has anyone trie to heat the walnut plug in the headstock to replace the truss rod nut?? If so, how did you do it?

2. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

3. guitarzan13

guitarzan13 Friend of Leo's

Thanks... I saw that but I'm looking for a more details about the aluminium shield and such...

4. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

If you have one of the earliest biflex trussrods (on the '83 Elite models IRRC, just before the American Standard) then there could be a metal gate (a plate with a hole in hit) that needs to be removed. You'll see it when you remove the walnut plug and if there is one in there you can remove the string nut and the gate comes out vertically. The part is on the patent drawing, but it's no longer actually used in production.

As for the aluminum shield, when I'm applying heat to a guitar and want to protect the surrounding area (for instance to remove an acoustic bridge), I cut a shield out of aluminum roll flashing.

It also depends on why you're removing the trussrod nut. Ironically enough, if you're relying on the trussrod nut to back out the walnut plug, that assumes the recess in the nut isn't stripped and you can get enough purchase on the thing. Then again if the reason for removing the nut is in order to get another washer under there to extend the working range of the trussrod, then it should work out okay.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.