Heart Pine... What should I do with it?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by JUSS10, Aug 9, 2020.

1. JUSS10

JUSS10 Tele-Meister

So a buddy of mine just pulled out an original heart pine floor from his house built in the 1940s. Trying to figure out what to do with it. I laminated a few pieces in to 4 piece neck blanks and tossed one on the CNC for fun. Man this stuff is splintery. Anyway, bad idea for a neck? On the Janka scale its technically harder than mahogany and walnut from what I could see and I know both of those woods are used for necks. Bad idea? it is SUPER dry. Other thought was to use it for a top of some sort. Like make a thinline with a heart pine top? Anyway, he has a huge pile of it and I can use it as I please. Feels like too cool and historical a wood to just let sit or get tossed out.

Justin

crazydave911 likes this.
  2. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I've got one very old 4x4 of the stuff and have no idea what to do with it either. It's an old workbench leg that weighs double what the other legs weighed. It has some cracks and is splintery as well.
    Since you have planks, maybe a thinline body? Probably want to bind it for durability. The surfaces seem very tough but the end grain less so.
    Non-guitar uses - table top? Make yourself a guitar humidor? A cabinet for strings/picks/parts?

Good luck and let us know.

crazydave911 likes this.
  3. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Laminated for a body I'd use it. For a neck, I don't think I'd be as comfortable. You already mentioned "splintery" in that respect. Sometimes it's not just about "hardness" and "stiffness", but also how it behaves while machining and over time.

4. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

"heart" pine is gonna be a bit heavy... I'd chamber the body, or laminate it to a lighter wood.

r

igor5 and El Tele Lobo like this.
  5. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I'd plane it down and reuse it as flooring

dogmeat, jrblue, RodeoTex and 2 others like this.
  6. JUSS10

JUSS10 Tele-Meister

It got pretty beat up when removed so not really able to plane and re used. The tongue and grooves got pretty beat up.

attached are some photos on the neck. I’m not afraid of the splinters per say, it sanded down really smooth. More a matter of I have to try machining a different way to avoid the splintering. Regardless, I think I’ll try a top. Maybe like an alder semi hollow body with a heart pine top would be cool.

Attached Files:

7. a.francis.1968

a.francis.1968 Tele-Meister

Buy an old junky beaten up looking amp for cheap and make a nice cabinet for it sell it on and take your loved one out to dinner on the proceeds then do it all again and keep it or make a speaker cab or a pedal board or alternatively store it away for a rainy day...

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    Mr. Neutron, Alex W and LeftFinger like this.
  8. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I'd certainly repurpose it. Neck, body, whatever. I agree, Thinline would be the best body...but I'd try a solid one too, just because.

Mr. Neutron likes this.
  9. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Unless you can't afford other materials, I'd make something else out of it. Not every piece of wood needs to become a guitar. Maybe make your buddy a box out of it. How is an 80 year old floor historical?

Fretting out and Wally like this.
  10. JUSS10

JUSS10 Tele-Meister

Heart pine really no longer exists as a "new" wood. Its a long leaf pine that was denser and stronger than most pine sold today. Classic case of over forestation, heart pine nearly went extinct. Thats why I would consider it a historical wood but I guess thats a term that can be pretty vague. Point is you can't really run down to your local lumber mill and get this wood new today. Any "new" heart pine is generally old flooring or old construction lumber that has been re planed and cleaned up for new use.

crazydave911 and a.francis.1968 like this.
  11. JUSS10

JUSS10 Tele-Meister

And yes I plan to use it for other things as well, just thought it was unique and thought I'd give it a try on guitar. If its a no go, I'll find another use.

crazydave911 likes this.
  12. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

PROCEED, Counselor!

Several small builders are rescuing 100+ year-old pine and other lumber from 'urban renewal projects' and making guitar bodies and necks out of it. As an example, Bill Kirchen has a guitar made from pine taken from a NYC loft once occupied by director Jim Jarmusch. He loves the thing:

13. JUSS10

JUSS10 Tele-Meister

wow thats pretty cool. Makes it sound like the its a one piece pine neck, fretboard and all. thats a bit crazy! hmm...

14. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

If I recall, it also has no truss rod.

I have a few guitars with one-piece necks. When you build a neck like this, you usually rout from the back and install the truss rod that way, rather than bury it under the fretboard. Hence the "skunk stripe" (walnut filler strip) you see on the back of many guitar necks.

15. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

Not familiar with "heart" pine but in my humble experience you can make an electric guitar body out of almost any wood in the world. I have built four barncasters out of hundred year old Ponderosa pine from a historic old barn. I'm currently building a classical guitar out of old Douglas fir flooring from a school gymnasium. For necks I'm pretty conservative and like to use more traditional woods (generally mahogany) but the nice thing about making a tele is if the neck doesn't work out just screw something else on.

Mr. Neutron and crazydave911 like this.
  16. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

[/QUOTE]Heart pine really no longer exists as a "new" wood. Its a long leaf pine that was denser and stronger than most pine sold today. Classic case of over forestation, heart pine nearly went extinct. Thats why I would consider it a historical wood but I guess thats a term that can be pretty vague. Point is you can't really run down to your local lumber mill and get this wood new today. Any "new" heart pine is generally old flooring or old construction lumber that has been re planed and cleaned up for new use.[/QUOTE]

I see.... that makes sense then. Well, as the guy that made the first barncaster out of old stinky barn wood around this forum, and used about a good portion of the domestic US woods for various guitar components, I guess it's up to you to decide what you want to do with it. If it's important to you to make a guitar out of it, then you should make a body. I've made pine necks too, but not out of heart pine.

Barncaster 1 on the left with two ye olde nail holes. The other two are Arlo West's OL Piney and Son of Ol Piney. They were made from trees helicoptered off of a Catskill Mountain.

barncaster 1.png

The rest of the stinky barnwood plank that was usable.

barncaster 2.png

Pine-o-rama Challenge guitar. It was a challenge guitar build with a pine body, pine neck, pine pickguard, and pine pickup bobbin.

pine body.jpg

Quartersawn Eastern White pine neck

pine neck.jpg

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  17. JUSS10

JUSS10 Tele-Meister

Good to see it’s been done. I have 3 more neck blanks glued up so I think I’ll try another neck on the CNC. I’ll use a climb cut and compression bit this time. Hopefully that will help keep the splinters down.

El Tele Lobo and crazydave911 like this.
  18. a.francis.1968

a.francis.1968 Tele-Meister

And old rare wood has an ever increasing value.

crazydave911 likes this.
  19. Mr_Q

Mr_Q Tele-Meister

Wait, give me a minute to process that information...huh.
    Today I learned.

:twisted::lol:

coreytree, awasson and El Tele Lobo like this.
  20. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

In my early days I made necks and even fretboards of douglas fir, don't matter as long as the grain is correct and the wood is stiff :), have at it! :cool:

Mr. Neutron, awasson and El Tele Lobo like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.