Heart Attack, Mortality and a Good Latte

ChazFromCali

Tele-Meister
As a man who has been clinically dead 6 times....that was one hell of a night!

It is good to know that there are others out there just as stubborn as me when your body isn't right. Most would have immediately gone to the ER, but you concluded it was just the burrito...I do the same thing, just never imagine it is anything worse than that. Then driving yourself to the clinic, well that is a very familiar act and they really never work out very well.

My last outing was salmonella from of all things, an expired Cliff energy bar I bought at the gas station on the way to work. All day I was'nt feeling right, but shrugged it off to something I ate the night before. I even stopped at the store for groceries on the way home. I took a shower and mid-way through I suddenly realized that I was about to puke for the first time in probably 20 years.

I remained in the bathroom for the next 7 hours, puked 52 times before passing out on the floor wrapped up in bath towels. I woke up in my own vomit and then started going the other way leaving me glued to the toilet for the rest of the day. I was so dehydrated that I felt like I was in shock.

Day 2 I decided that I had to get some help, but I had already lost my voice from the puking so I couldn't call for an ambulance. I tried to drive to the ER, but was so out of it that I couldn't find my way through the parking lot. I just had no idea where I was or what was happening, and then passed out right there in the hospital parking lot. It took 3 IV bags to get me back to the real world. Isn't life fun?

Glad to hear that you are okay, the idea of a heart attack scares the crap out of me personally. I would rather deal with another gunshot wound than a heart attack. Stay on the mend and listen to the body when it is telling you something. I have been trying to do the same thing lately.
Wow.

Food poisoning can really be a biatch. I'm familiar with that "both ends" phenomena, lol.

OlDefGuy

Tele-Meister
I’ve had the heart attack, definitely realize I’m a mere mortal, now if I could just find a good latte
My heart attack story is not near as good a tale but I’ll give the short version. I was in my mid 50’s working as an oilfield pumper. Was scheduled to have surgery on my left rotator cuff in about a week. On Monday we received a load of timber’s that are used to level pumping units, so this is some fairly substantial lumber. Me and another guy are volunteered to unload them. Tuesday morning wake up with pain in my left shoulder, pass it off as putting too much strain on it the day before. Go have breakfast, develop heartburn within half an hour, eat a bunch of Rolaids, it doesn’t help. Go to work, the heartburn I can deal with but my left arm has basically become useless. Head back to town (about a half hour drive) and go to my doctor, tell her Tylenol isn’t cutting it for my shoulder pain. She takes a listen and sends me to the hospital for some tests. Drive to the hospital check in and hang out until I am the next in the cue. Lab guy hooks me up to an EKG and immediately says “you’re having a heart attack” I say “no I’m not” he says “yes you are”. They toss me in an ambulance and haul me to the med center in the next town over, wheel me into the emergency room and immediately start the shaving of groin area and checking to see if they can do the cath through my wrist. I’m watching the whole thing on the big screen telling them I really don’t think I am having a heart attack. Two stints later this big old black vein on the screen turns white when the blood flow returns to it, I say “well I guess I was having a heart attack”.
I got lucky, had I just continued on thinking that I had finally shredded my rotator cuff I probably wouldn’t be here today. Shoulder pain and heartburn were my only symptoms. The moral is if something doesn’t feel right go get it checked out it might save your life.

ChazFromCali

Tele-Meister
"Shoulder pain and heartburn were my only symptoms."

Yup. I thought I had food poisoning and had been kinda tired lately with some shortness of breath. That's it.

"The moral is if something doesn’t feel right go get it checked out it might save your life."

100% right.

ChazFromCali

Tele-Meister
The problem I have now is that every few months or so I have pains far worse than when I had the heart attack! Makes me paranoid and a little neurotic.

Bullseye! I know about that too, lol. It really sucks.

Well, I don't have bad pains but every little thing and I get worried about it. I try not "go there" mentally but on the other hand I have to be aware of what my body is telling me.

Alex_C

Tele-Afflicted
Welcome to the 'Widow Maker' survival club. Glad you made it, but man that was an ordeal! My heart attack was on a zip-line obstacle course,March 22 of '16. No pain that day, just died 20 feet in the air. 12min of CPR and a jump start when the defib machine arrived. 5 stents at the closest hospital. I don't remember anything about the hospital except for leaving. Did a full Ironman in Nov. of '18. Eat well, train cardio lightly and slowly build it up. Life isn't crap after a heart attack if you work at it.