1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

hearing voices on a long walk

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by getbent, Mar 4, 2021.

1. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I love my daily walk. sometimes I take the puppy, sometimes i go alone. both are fun. I focus on the dog when he comes, but alone, my mind runs all over the place. today, there were scores of birds in the fields, some on the wire, some in trees and I listened to their calls and it struck me that their calls were like code packets.

What if (and I know birds have small brains etc) but what if their meanings and language are embedded. In programming (on computers, cars, spaceships etc) when you program, you might have a set of things that you want to have happen, so you write it all out, each instruction and it is pretty long. You can name the set of instructions, for example, you could name a set of instructions Bill.

From then on, when you needed that action or set of instructions, you just put Bill instead of all the code.

Pretty cool, right? The goal was always to write the instructions as cleanly and concisely as possible to keep the memory usage small, then, use them with names so that your program was small and fast and clean (fewer bugs and problems.)

Pretend for a moment that we were all hard wired with a set of common experiences and memories and the same impressions from those memories. When someone referenced 'pie' we'd all have the same experience with pie so, we'd know what it was all about.

Imagine if birds have imprinted millions of different impressions and experiences not so much into their brain but into themselves that the call that birds make are just a series of 'Bill' calls, so a short tweet tweet twwwwwweeet dal dee might be a HUGE instruction set informing the flock of a thousand nuances of their current situation.

For the rest of my walk, I listened to them... and I think someone told me that there are 50 birds for every person, I listened to their song and the occasional flock moving 50 years as one and I thought.... that is a pretty interesting universe those guys are in.

2. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I listen to the hummingbirds at my feeder daily, and often I hear one go "tweet tweet tweet, tweeeeet tweeeeet tweeeeet, tweet tweet tweet", usually when I'm walking outside. I finally figured out they were sending SOS to each other.

getbent, Digital Larry and Flip G like this.
  3. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Small brain or no, I'm fairly certain there is communication going on between the birds.

4. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Holic

birdsarentreal.com

Mouth, Dan German, getbent and 3 others like this.
  5. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Friend of Leo's

Do you think I could get a shirt with pictures of birds that disappear when it gets cold?
    I would get one of those. ;)

Nightclub Dwight and getbent like this.
  6. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

I'm reminded of the story about prisoners who because of only having 1 hour free in the yard with others would assign a number to a joke so they wouldn't waste time having to tell the whole story. New prisoner arrives and in his first hour calls out 56. No one laughs. He asks another prisoner why no one laughed. Some people just can't tell a joke. In this case Bill, a number might not get it.

We are having Robins here for the first time in many years. I think the freeze brought them in. They have a really unique set of calls. Probably included is "Damn it wasn't supposed to be cold this far South".

Lance Morgan, 61fury, getbent and 3 others like this.
  7. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

It isn't the size of the brain that seems to matter most for intelligence but brain to body mass ratio. By that measure, birds are pretty smart.
    Crows for example show signs of pretty complex language. There was a study done at the University of Washington IIRC in which students would put on masks before going out and harassed them, I don't remember the details of how. What I do remember was that the crows paid typical students no mind but would immediately sound alarm calls when they saw one in a mask, but that's not even the crazy part.
    Years later, after the lifespan of the initial group of crows they tried to repeat the experiment and couldn't replicate results because the crows, despite being from a generation or two later, still made the alarm calls and vacated when they saw the masks. They had been told to be cautious of them!

8. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I often enjoy calming songbird sounds like this...

getbent likes this.
  9. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

I sometimes walk near a prairie dog town on a vacant lot. They seem to have a complex language and division of labor. One prairie dog will poke its head out and watch me and keep the others informed about my whereabouts. Then I see a cat approaching in full stalking crouch and the prairie watchdog has a whole different call with more urgency. When the cat gets close to the one calling, the caller disappears into the hole and another prairie dog on the other side of the lot pops up and continues the duties. It's fascinating.

Bassman8 and getbent like this.
  10. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

Or.... you might've accidentally hit the improbability drive? ;)

Seriously though - Communication is key for all lifeforms... Humans, however, are another matter e.g. software requirements.

getbent likes this.
  11. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I love it. I'm about to do my pre-dinner exercise - walk. I do that listening but can look at the ground and water more than the sky. I stop and look at the sky. I'll look up, not do a podcast, and it might be hard because 2 feet of snow is melting. That has sound and it is fun to get lost in watching where the water flows. I wonder if that water will go in the ground for us to drink or start flowing to the Gulf Of Mexico.

:)

getbent likes this.
  12. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

The first thing I had to do this morning was wade out into a lake and retrieve a large dead bird. It was very disturbing, but I was as gentle as I could be, and it was given a proper burial.

getbent likes this.
  13. televillian

televillian Tele-Afflicted

an awful lot of humans don`t seem to communicate as well as other species

14. getbent

you can get pasties that do that.

15. getbent

I find those experiences humanizing. I feel somehow like for once, I'm doing something resolute and right.

Bassman8, 1955 and elihu like this.
  16. getbent

this is it! if we had a common list of jokes and common things embedded we could have an issue in a store and say simply '56' and the clerk and everyone around would smile and 'ha! of course' problem resolved.

This would be fantastic.

17. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

we kinda do that already, within our small communities.
    check it out ....

"bumched shrit"

edvard, Manual Slim and Dan German like this.
  18. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

1955 and getbent like this.
  19. vgallagher

vgallagher Tele-Meister

Poo-tee-weet

P Thought, getbent and Dan German like this.
  20. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Friend of Leo's

Thanks. Now I am filled with memories of my first wife.

I just use duct tape. Gorilla tape lasts the longest FYI.

I have spent a lot of time, carefully listening to the birds. I can usually identify the species by its calls, and sometimes even feel I can discern individuals.
    Cardinals for example have a distinct difference between the male and female. And since they pair so tightly, they can be heard "talking" to each other even at a distance.
    I can immediately identify a robins call, and even tell a lot about its "mood" or situation by the call. They have a very profoundly noticeable call when on alert or agitated, as opposed to other times.
    Carolina wrens really like to let everyone know when a perceived threat is about. Often it is my presence they are alerting the world to.
    Cat walks through, they are often the first alert I hear.
    I also have noticed many times how it suddenly gets really quiet, and there is just a little rustling in the shrubbery... I look up and there is a soaring raptor.
    My neighbor two doors down has a ridiculous Koi pond. He gets silent visits from large grey heron every year, and even he thinks its awesome.

Birds are lovely creatures if you pay a little attention. We (humans) should wish to be near as socially constructive.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.