Hearing Protection Recommendations?

tcadam

Tele-Afflicted
I was diagnosed with "significant" hearing loss during last years' physical and have been experiencing tinnitus 24/7 for the last 18 months or so (I'm 55). Anyway, I've been doing a good job of removing myself from any situation that seems too loud, but I'd like to find some ear plugs that may allow me to stay sometimes.

Has anyone tried any of the fancier plugs that claim to not effect sound quality (I'm skeptical)? Any thing else that may have helped you?

TC

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I have suffered tinnitus for decades and have a hearing loss...also hearing aids. ((My hearing aids can have a tinnitus program loaded that basically injects white noise to mitigate the ringing...I do not have that loaded)).

I carry foamies (and have for years) everywhere and use them anywhere I cannot control the volume.

I have an electronic set for hunting that allows the volume to be turned up to hear things in the woods, but they cut out momentarily for loud noises like a gunshot---rechargeable batteries last about 5.5 hours...I don't think them practical for day to day, but they do not effect sound quality once you are used to them. I imagine the fancier day to day plugs you are looking at are similar.

At the range (or in the ship machinery spaces) I wear foamies and ear muffs.

Happy Hunting.

loco gringo

Tele-Afflicted
You might try these. I have the active electronic plugs for shooting. They work well. Look at the passive hi fidelity plugs. I have thought about getting some to try at clubs when bands are playing, but I don't really go to clubs where loud music is anymore.

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
I was diagnosed with "significant" hearing loss during last years' physical and have been experiencing tinnitus 24/7 for the last 18 months or so (I'm 55). Anyway, I've been doing a good job of removing myself from any situation that seems too loud, but I'd like to find some ear plugs that may allow me to stay sometimes.

Has anyone tried any of the fancier plugs that claim to not effect sound quality (I'm skeptical)? Any thing else that may have helped you?

TC
Orange foam disposables. They attenuate the high end. The part that makes tinnitus.

MilwMark

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Not for tinnitus but with plugs in general I've learned fit is everything. What fits others well and therefore is clear and "proportionate" may not present that way for you.

I've actually found that bell shaped hollow foam ones tend to work best for me.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
I bought a set of these when they were about $20. They seem to work pretty well, but I can provide no clinical studies.

Site seems to be blocking link, so here is a picture.

Attachments

• 2022-01-14_15h34_05.jpg
    2022-01-14_15h34_05.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

SRHmusic

Tele-Afflicted
I didn't have good luck with universal ear plugs ("off the shelf") like Etymotics. Custom ones are the best fit and comfort according to lots of online discussion, but they can cost $150 or more if you go to an audiologist to have molds made.

I have a set of Westone Style 49 (or "concert") earplugs plugs that work well, and two different sets of filters. A bit more detail in my old reply post here.

DougM

Poster Extraordinaire
Plus, your ears will adjust a bit to compensate for the initial mud.
I've been wearing them for so many years 24/7 that my ears and brain have adjusted so much to them that everything sounds perfectly balanced with them and too bright without them. The one thing that is annoying me more all the time is emergency vehicle sirens, which seem to be getting louder and louder all the time. I'm on the 14th floor of my building, and one whole side of my apartment (a one room studio) is a window covering the whole length of the room. When a siren goes by, even a mile away, it's so loud that it's physically pinful to me. If people didn't wear headphones and earbuds everywhere they go all the time, turned up way too loud, and crank their car stereos up to rock concert levels, then civil authorities wouldn't have to keep increasing the volume levels of their sirens to the point where they're louder than a jet engine. I have used all three of these types interchangeably with not much perceived difference. Right now I'm using the blue ones because they are the last package I bought. The yellow ones fit my ears the tightest and so probably provide the most attenuation
60847.jpg
portwest-ep06-bell-comfort-pu-foam-ear-plugs-200-pairs-w1280h1024q90i25585.jpg
mack-s-soundasleep-soft-foam-earplugs-12-pair-pack-[2]-184-p.jpg

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
I've been wearing them for so many years 24/7 that my ears and brain have adjusted so much to them that everything sounds perfectly balanced with them and too bright without them. The one thing that is annoying me more all the time is emergency vehicle sirens, which seem to be getting louder and louder all the time. I'm on the 14th floor of my building, and one whole side of my apartment (a one room studio) is a window covering the whole length of the room. When a siren goes by, even a mile away, it's so loud that it's physically pinful to me. If people didn't wear headphones and earbuds everywhere they go all the time, turned up way too loud, and crank their car stereos up to rock concert levels, then civil authorities wouldn't have to keep increasing the volume levels of their sirens to the point where they're louder than a jet engine. I have used all three of these types interchangeably with not much perceived difference. Right now I'm using the blue ones because they are the last package I bought. The yellow ones fit my ears the tightest and so probably provide the most attenuation
View attachment 940184 View attachment 940185 View attachment 940186
I used to wear them at work on occasion just to drown out the background din

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Been using a set of "Earpeace Music Pro" for a few years now. They do a really good job, but I am already damaged from many years in the military.