1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Hearing problems

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Sotakoira Musti, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Sotakoira Musti

Sotakoira Musti Tele-Afflicted

As we all know, the skull is an ampilifier/echo chamber, and you hear yourself quite differently than in recordings. I had to adapt to the idea that my voice isn’t that low and sexy I thought it was.

I’ve had terrible difficulties in our tiny bandroom to hear myself. I sit in the back corner, and there is literally a wall of sound (TM late Phil Spector) between the PA-speakers and me. The speakers are most far away. Then add in between a hard handed drummer, bass amp and two guitar amps having a volume battle. And then, it’s me trying to hear if and when I’m off-key. With this setup, singing 3 harmony Beatles songs is atleast challenging.

I got myself an IEM and a preamp, and all I can say is wow. They make a world of difference. Can’t help with my voice though, but now I’m remotely on-key.

E554EFE7-832F-4BE9-90A3-E4202E51F0B6.jpeg

If only I’d done this much earlier!

Do you guys have difficulties hearing yourselves? I can’t even have a conversation in the canteen, because my focus jumps to every single thing that’s said. I look like retarded when the guy sitting in front of me says something to me for the fifth time, because my brains and ears are uncontrollable.

One good thing about this hearing problem; having a conversation with my dear wife o_O

northernguitar likes this.
  2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

i have some hearing difficulties- but then again i tend to find that what an awful lot of people have to say isn't worth hearing anyway :)

OlRedNeckHippy and unixfish like this.
  3. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

I switched over to IEMs in 2019 and there is no way I could go back to floor wedges. If I never have the experience of a crash cymbal ring in my ear, it will be a good life. My band and I can jam on a worknight and I can get to sleep with no ringing (other than the permanent tinnitus). Our harmony vocals have seriously taken shape since switching. When we jam, I have a perfect stereo mix. When we're in the pocket, it's like listening to a live recording.

My awesome band entertains my attempt to be 'Ozzommi'. Very rough cut.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  4. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have never been able to "tune out" background noise. If we are in a loud restaurant with lots of conversations, I hear what my family is saying, I just cannot filter out what everyone else is saying. That annoys the family, and for me it is like being drowned in a wash of noise and not being able to swim.

5. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

IEMs I can see would be a godsend in a noisy environment like that. Maybe that is what I need, and give my family each a directional mic to speak into. :lol:

6. Sotakoira Musti

Sotakoira Musti Tele-Afflicted

Hear, hear. Or not...!

7. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I hate IEMs. The same way I hate tracking beds wearing cans in the studio. All the feel and vibe is lost. Very isolating.

In our rehearsal room (a triangle) it was a revaluation to turn the monitors toward the longest wall and away from us and our mics. Suddenly we could turn the vocals down and yet hear better. Or turn them up and hear them better, without feedback. Only took 22 years to try it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.