1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Hearing Aids

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by SacDAve, Oct 27, 2020.

1. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have an appointment to look into getting a hearing aid (aid's) in the 19th. I know they are pricey but I have one question do you buy them in a pair or just one? (Do you need one for each ear.) Trying to find information online just leads to someone trying to sell you some. I believe my wifes insurances will cover a big part of the cost

2. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

I was told by an audiologist that when you see a person wearing only one hearing aid, it's because he/she:

1. lost one
    2. could only afford one, or
    3. is completely deaf in the other ear

Apparently it's best to wear them in pairs because it helps your brain sort out the sounds better.

(This was a VA audiologist, with no obvious financial incentive.)

telestratosonic likes this.
  3. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

several years ago I caught a bad bug and my right ear went nearly deaf. My left ear hears almost perfectly. It didn't make sense for me to get a pair so I only got one for the right ear. If you're hard of hearing in both ears it would make sense to get a pair.
    Hearing aids are will never sound as perfect as your ear. So at least one ear can hear my guitars as they should be heard. The hearing aid just enhances so I can hear people speaking from the right of me.

SacDAve likes this.
  4. SacDAve

Thanks I would think two also some of the pricing say for a pair spme don't

5. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

You get pretty good ones over here free of charge on the NHS. I have an aid for my right ear as I have lost a significant amount of my hearing on that side, but as my left is much better don't have one on the left. I was offered one, but told that it may or may not help things.

6. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

My brother has hearing aids with Bluetooth! He pairs them with his iphone when we talk or facetime. You can barely see them in his ears. Just a thin silver wire. Amazing.

7. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

What? (I kid, but I have pretty bad tinnitus.)

8. Maicobmw

Maicobmw TDPRI Member

It just all depends on the individual circumstances, hope it works out for you. My 85 year old dad was in the Air Force in the late fifties as a jet engine technician and hearing protection was sketchy. He's tried many hearing aids over the years with poor results.

9. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

My last job was as Regional Tech Manager for Queensland Australia for Australian Hearing services and worked all over the state as well as other states as required. In my experience prescribing a second aid for an ear with normal hearing is not usual and should not be done as that good ear will be subject to noises much louder than normal and could actually damage the hearing in that ear. It is one thing to amplify sound to a partially deaf ear to restore "normality" but subjecting a perfectly good hearing ear to above normal levels can be very debilitating and cause bigger problems.

My advice would be to just amplify the "weak" ear to restore normality.

DC

10. SacDAve

thanks for all the replies. I’m at the point i can’t tune a guitar by ear, blast the TV , my kids talk really low because there mean LOL. So the doctor today said I have real problems hearing highs and hearing aids will help when playing guitar so looking forward to getting some

11. SacDAve

both ears are about the same bad. BTW the doctor was not a fan of AirBuds

12. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

What's that?

13. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Holic

Your Audiologist should test both ears when they examine you and make a recommendation. It’s possible that each ear has a different loss requirement with different frequency ranges affected.

My father lost most of his hearing in WWII. He wore a hearing aid - later bilateral aids - all my life until he passed. I shied away from hearing aids for this reason for a long time. I have a bilateral notch-shaped loss in the 300 - 3,000 Hz range in both ears, with near-normal hearing outside that range. I needed aids which would reverse that loss curve, and not amplify other sounds.

Digital Signal Processing (DSP) hearing aids that could do that at a reasonable cost finally became available a little over two years ago. I was tested and received my aids then. Each aid is individually programmed, and I have an app on my phone that alters the coverage area of the aids’ microphones for different situations.

Prices are dropping further. It’s a good time to explore hearing aids if you need them.

They do suck at reproducing music compared to my AirPods, though.

14. SacDAve

I’ve gone threw all the steps to get to the buying part I’ll go with there advice .........of I can hear it

15. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

If it's job related hearing loss, Workers Compensation covers the cost here. My hearing is not too bad but I have hearing loss. I got a set last week. $6000 CAD. Great for listening to music, watching tv and playing my acoustic. What a difference. I don't wear them otherwise. I'm 71 and retired.

16. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Holic

Check your local Costco. I went to them after being examined by audiologists at Beltone, Miracle Ear, and Hear USA. The hearing test results from all three matched the results from Costco’s audiology staff, and the hearing aids were about 40% of the cost of those from the other three companies.

17. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I wear hearing aids in both ears. It was difficult to play guitar with them at first because of a phasing issue caused by the auto feedback control. I was helped with that by someone here at TDPRI. I can't believe how much tone I was missing without them. The only down side is that I hear hiss from my tube amp that I hadn't heard before due to high frequency hearing loss. The clean boost function on my equalizer helped immensely. I don't want to lose the high frequencies now that I know what they sound like. I'll suggest three things. Find a good audiologist who will work with you until the aids are adjusted to meet your needs, not some idealized profile. I checked your profile here at TDPRI for your age. The better Medicare supplements, mine is from Humana, get you very good discounts on hearing aids. But be careful. Discounted prices sometimes come with the loss of otherwise included services from the audiologist. THe third thing is to use them. They're much harder to adjust to if you use them only part of the time. I know this from experience. I take mine out at work because they amplify background noise. I also take them out sometimes at home to tune out my wife. :lol:

One more thing. There have been a few good threads about hearing aids here at TDPRI. Search Hearing Aids.

18. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Here in Oz The National Hearing Association gives you a free test every year if you want one.
    I came up with 10/10 this time.
    They test a range of frequencies and volumes with earphones in a booth.
    They asked me to rate myself before this years' test, and I said 9 , as I'd done well in the previous test two years ago.
    This time I got a perfect score.
    Glad because hearing aids are very expensive.

19. Tele22

Tele22 Tele-Meister

A friend got a Bluetooth-capable pair the other week for about $9,000.

Hearing aid prices seem like a total rip-off to me. I’m surprised Apple, Google or Amazon haven’t come out with lower priced versions yet.

20. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

The high end aids these days are basically a quality audio amplifier with a multi frequency equalizer which can decrease the gains in frequencies which the patient is competent with and increase the gains of particular frequencies which are deficient. I have seen grown people cry when they put in their aids for the first time after being set to that person's hearing loss.

DC

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.