Hearing Aids at Gigs (old man post)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Keefsdad, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Holic

I just got a hearing aid. I find it helpful, I have a fair bit of loss above 2K.
    I tried it at a rehearsal tonight, it seemed fine and i'm thinking of using it at a gig Saturday night. I play in a rock band, but not a loud one. I use a 15 watt amp and we play fairly small clubs usually. I'm just a little concerned that it may amplify it too much and damage my ears. I use it turned down quite a bit, and turned it down at bit more at rehearsal. Does anyone else use one while playing with a band?

Attached Files:

Fretting out likes this.
  2. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Holic

As soon as I saw hearing aid I thought “hmmm I wonder if the volume is loud enough if it will damage the frequency’s that it amplifies”
    I’m curious for someone with experience to answer I’m intrigued.
    I’m young but working construction I always have hearing damage in the back of my mind.

Either way I hope your new hearing aid works out well for you and will bring some music back to your life:)

BramptonRob1958 and Keefsdad like this.
  3. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Holic

I wear hearing aids. Had mine for about 3 years.
    If I'm at a concert with a house sound system, it's usually too loud for me so I turn mine down until they are comfortable. Sometimes that means turning the all the way down to minimum. I usually leave them in to act as a sort of sound buffer. If the venue is too loud, I take them out and use foam ear plugs.
    Same thing for rehearsals and gigs. As the volume goes up, my aids go down. Or out, replaced by plugs. It all depends on venue and audience size. If I use my Super Reverb or Boogie I use plugs.
    I had a hard time accepting the quality of sound reproduction they offer. Mine were expensive, not cheapo. I need them to boost certain frequencies. I think my audiologist regrets ever taking me as a patient. I can't tell you how many times I went back for adjustments the first year.
    Now, I just accept the facts. I hear better with them than without them. That's not saying much.
    I don't understand why they work on all the different modes, different features, Bluetooth connectivity, blah blah blah. And not so much on sound reproduction. I just want something that sounds natural.
    As far as I can tell, that doesn't exist yet in hearing aids.

shogan and Keefsdad like this.
  4. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

It seems to me that in a band performance you dont need a hearing aid. A bassist I played with had fancy aids with a little remote control he kept in his pocket. It drove him crazy always adjusting, always saying we're too loud or something else and never happy with what he was hearing.
    Do you have any trouble hearing the band when playing?

Keefsdad likes this.
  5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My boss/bandleader on my regular Tuesday and Friday
    piano bar gig now has them.
    They’ve been a blessing in this case.
    He’s often deafening, as is his son/drummer.
    Our overall volume and degree of finesse/dynamics has improved.
    They work, at least in this case.

Keefsdad and nojazzhere like this.
  6. Togman

Togman Tele-Afflicted

I have been gigging with mine (both ears) for about 5 years. My aids seem to over-amplify the higher frequencies (Cymbals!) when in a gigging situation. My latest pair have a button I can press to instantly reduce both aids by about 40% - this seem to work very well in most gigging situations for me.

7. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

I’ve worn mine for several years...I turn them way down as to not damage them - or me. Bass response is atrocious, and high Frequency stuff amplified many times over, as such I’m aware that what “I” hear is usually much brighter than wha the rest of the world hears.

Keefsdad likes this.
  8. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

A 64-year old here... It seems like for the last there or four years, my guitar
    seems harder for me to hear onstage in a group setting. I'm resigned to let the
    good people at the sound mixing board set my level. No complaints from listeners, so far. I don't think a hearing aid would help me.

Harry Styron and Keefsdad like this.
  9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I should wear aids but don't. My drummer buddy does. He has one set for normal, real world wear. He has another set he wears when playing, or when we've gone to concerts. This second pair are "tuned" to actually reduce loud sounds, but amplifies "normal" levels. I guess like protective hearing headphones that allow low levels through, but immediately muffle loud sounds like gunshots. Not really sure, but he swears by them.
    I don't think my live performances have been affected by my hearing loss, except I'm very sensitive to bass players that are too loud......but they're TOO LOUD anyway. :)

Keefsdad likes this.
  10. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Holic

Good to hear some of you are using them. I will try them at the gig tonight. I don't feel like I have a lot of trouble hearing on gigs, but my vocals are not always pitch perfect, so i'm hoping it may help with that.

nojazzhere likes this.
  11. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

I wear them at work and out to dinner with family....never at venues/shows or even acoustic open Mic events. Mine are high dollar but they jyst dont deliver for live music, performing or otherwise.

12. Mat

Mat Tele-Meister

Likewise I have a not so cheap set. Mine are programmable and have a music setting which does provide an audible shift to where recorded music sounds balanced and natural. Handy also when playing- I find acoustics on the “normal” setting sound like a really bad piezo pick up . Couple that with turning them down on a live setting and they’re pretty good. Now I fried my ears years ago so the term natural sound is a distant memory for me

13. saltyseadog

saltyseadog TDPRI Member

I am 69 and received hearing aids like the OP's a couple years back. To be honest I am a long way from deaf but had a loss of high frequencies especially in my right ear. When I first got them I wore them all the time but did not like the sound while playing my guitar which I found too cutting. I don't play in a band anymore just the occasional jam night, otherwise only at home in my loft which I converted to a music studio/cum workshop.

At first I thought that perhaps I had always heard my guitar tone wrong due to the left ear hearing damage so I invited a couple of guitar playing buddies, over set up my gear as normal and asked them if it lacked treble to which both of them replied that it sounded just fine to them. I put in the hearing aids again and it is instantly too high pitched so now when I play guitar I don't use the aids.

I find that I really only need them when watching tv or a movie, or in a crowded environment like a restuarant or bar etc. In retrospect I don't think my hearing problem is anything to do with aging at all but something I have had since my 20's when I got a serious bump on the right side of my head against a lifebelt in bad weather at sea.

14. SUPER*400*

SUPER*400* TDPRI Member

Hi, i also use hearing aid for almost 2 years now. Playing in my (acoustic) band is no problem, even better. But when i play acoustic alone at home i have to take them off because the high frequenties are over-amplified and not natural anymore. I guess it all depends on the hearing aid software...maybe in the near future...

15. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Holic

I've had it about a month now. I'm still not really sure whether it's helping or not. It doesn't seem to help much in hearing conversations with background noise, because everything gets amplified. I've worn it at a couple of gigs, was ok. I don't wear it at rehearsal, because the sound is more concentrated in a small space.

16. shogan

shogan TDPRI Member

Exactly, I've finally just resigned to "NOT WEAR" my hearing aids when playing or listening to Rock. I'd rather have the Hi's mufffled than to have the whole thing distorted. I also have expensive aids, infact 2 different mfgs and I also have my own adjustment hardware that I bought along with the software that I talked a dealer out of. Still the limitations of the hardware just prevent decent sound reproduction when it comes to music.

17. opticnerv

opticnerv TDPRI Member

What about the new, fairly inexpensive in-ear monitors like you can get from Amazon? $30-$50. Multiple drivers. Good frequency response. They also block some of the ambient sound when you get the right earpieces. I've seen several run-downs on them on y-tube. Any thoughts on how to utilize them in an average bar band situation? I just want to hear my amp that's usually JUST behind my knees on tiny stages. And before anyone suggests it - I have to say "no" to amp stands and tilting it up at the back of my head.

ecoast likes this.
  18. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Holic

I'm starting to feel like it's not that helpful. It doesn't help me hear coversations with background noise, because it amplifies that too. I can hear some high overtones when i play acoustic guitar but they are not that pleasing to the ear.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.