1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Hearing a popping sound through the amp when my pinky rubs the pick guard.

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by davemontalvo, Oct 22, 2020.

1. davemontalvo

davemontalvo TDPRI Member

This only happens when the neck pickup is active. These are Texas Specials if that makes a difference.
    Any idea how to get rid of this? The photo shows where it happens.

Attached Files:

bcorig likes this.
  2. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Static electricity - had it on a new Les Paul. Has something to do with electrons in the spray paint I believe.

Eventually stopped mostly - took a couple of years, still get the odd pop at times. Have seen all kinds of solutions, nothing really works except maybe copper shielding.

Keeping it out of the case away from the plush lining on a stand out in the open air made a slight difference. Does it get worse when you stand on a carpet?

davemontalvo likes this.
  3. davemontalvo

davemontalvo TDPRI Member

Thanks that might be it. I usually stand on a carpet when I play. I’ll have to experiment with that.

4. kbold

kbold Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Yep .. static. More of a crackling sound (as I experienced).
    I remedied the crackle by copper shielding and grounding the back of the pickguard.
    Prior to shielding I had temporary success with anti-static spray on the pickguard

5. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Unscrew the pick guard. Stuff a dryer sheet in the cavity around the neck pickup. Make sure enough is sticking out to where it will contact the pick guard. Replace the pick guard. Don't worry about it ever again.

It sounds weird, but it works.

preactor, richiek65 and davemontalvo like this.
  6. OldPup

OldPup Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

^^ that sounds like a great, easy solution. I never tried that. Instead I used conductive adhesive copper tape and put it all over the back of the pickguard (and in the cavity just because I was already at it). I made sure the tape was contiguous from very close to the pickups to pickguard screws. That solved the problem for me. I made an evening of it. I am very curious about the dryer sheet approach though. I say try that first. It definitely sounds like static electricity btw.

7. Bella

Bella Tele-Meister

Had the same issue and for a year I thought it was an intermittent amp problem because it was happening with 2 separate teles. I tried the dryer sheet method (wiping the pickguard with said sheet) which helped some, but occasionally I'll still get some pops if humidity is low or depending on what shoes I wear in the studio.

8. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

I've got 2 Gibsons ('06 ES137 & '14 Melody Maker) that snap, crackle and pop really badly in the winter but still do so to a lesser extent in the summer. The MM crackles when I run my hand up and down the neck or rub my fingers on the body. The ES137 crackles when I touch the body around the controls and pickguard. I find nitrocellulose lacquer seems very susceptible to static. I also find that cheap aftermarket pickguards are also susceptable to static. I keep a bounce sheet in every case in case I have a problem at a gig and I'll rub down the necks and pickguards. I don't seem to have any problems with my Fender guitars but they all have copper shielding. Not much I can do about shielding on the Gibbys

stnmtthw and davemontalvo like this.
  9. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

I just gently wiped the pickguard with a dryer sheet.

smoothrecluse and davemontalvo like this.
  10. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

I usually get that pickguard static in the winter. As others have said, rubbing a dryer sheet on the pickguard is a good temporary solution.

Because I'm a cheap bastid, I discovered that a used dryer sheet works just fine. During the winter I put one in each guitar's case or gig bag after it's done its job on our clothes, and do a quick rub on the pickguard as needed.

davemontalvo likes this.
  11. bluesfordan

bluesfordan Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

i recently went back to dryer sheets for laundry and get the unscented generic brand, for those of you who may be sensitive to perfumed odors, as I am. I've heard of the dryer sheet rub down but I never thought about putting one inside the pickup cavity. I'm in an apartment now that has wall to wall carpet and I've noticed pops every now and then when I'm recording (or just playing using the audio interface as an "amp")

12. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

The dryer sheet didn't work for me and wearing rubber soled shoes made no difference. I cut out a lead-lined poly film pack and stuck that everywhere in the control cavity, got some results but not perfect.

13. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

Should prevent the pickups from getting bombarded with X-rays though!

Bartholomew3 likes this.
  14. vgallagher

vgallagher Tele-Meister

Bakelite pick guard stopped it. Any of the regular plastic ones do it, at least to me they do.

davemontalvo likes this.
  15. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yep. Static build up on the pick guard. Happened after I got my Elite series two years ago. Neck and Middle positions only. I brought the problem here and was advised to wipe the pick guard with a dryer sheet.
    BTW, it doesn’t have to be a fresh sheet.
    Also, I worked on not touching the pick guard with my pick hand, dropped my hand position closer to the bridge and haven’t noticed it recently. I think my playing improved.

davemontalvo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.