Heard on every music interview podcast: "I'm one of your biggest fans..."

Thoughtfree

Tele-Holic
I like the music interview podcasts. Greg Koch, Cory Wong, others. A positive thing about the Internet.

But just once I'd like to NOT hear "I'm one of your biggest fans," from the interviewer, to open the show. Sometimes I think it might not be true, ya know?

Maybe the interviewer could say, "I really didn't dig that album you did in 2007." Or, "Why did you work with ___ _____, anyway - was that a mistake?" Just for entertainment value.

Ed Driscoll

Friend of Leo's
I like the music interview podcasts. Greg Koch, Cory Wong, others. A positive thing about the Internet.

But just once I'd like to NOT hear "I'm one of your biggest fans," from the interviewer, to open the show. Sometimes I think it might not be true, ya know?

Maybe the interviewer could say, "I really didn't dig that album you did in 2007." Or, "Why did you work with ___ _____, anyway - was that a mistake?" Just for entertainment value.
I remember when Jimmy Page started touring again in the mid-1980s with the Firm, and did FM radio interviews with call-ins to plug the shows. I was astonished when so many callers prefaced their questions to him with a level of reverence like they were everyday Catholics whom the Pope had deigned to speak to. At least the interviewers were professional back then.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I listen to a lot of the live performances on KEXP when I’m at work. Cheryl Waters absolutely gushes over some of the bands. It’s a little uncomfortable sometimes.

daddyplaysbass

Tele-Afflicted
Same with NA$CAR, pre-race programs, the interviewers gush over the drivers like they want to have a slumber party or bro date with them.

Alamo

Doctor of Teleocity

How's about "I think you suck, but I'm willing to interview you anyway!"?

Or, "and who are you supposed to be "?
It's a slippery slope for an interviewer, better be well prepared and know your stuff before criticising... "Just for entertainment value"

"I'm one of your biggest fans..."​

make sure you can name five songs that made you one of my biggest fans? ok, three :rolleyes:

Last edited: